1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning my next Prius, plug-in or no?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jefe, Nov 13, 2014.

1. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PiPsters.
    I have a 2005 Prius that is still going strong at 158K, but I have had a couple of scares that made me think about the big one.
    I have always had my eye on the PiP. I live in NC, so there is no state incentives to buying electric cars. In fact, the PiP isn't even sold here (still?!?!).
    I have been doing some math trying to figure out how much value I would get out of the PiP, as opposed to the standard hatchback. First, here are some basic facts:
    1. I average 1,000 miles each month, almost exclusively "around town"
    2. In my 2005, I average 42mpg
    3. My commute consists of ~10 miles to drop the kids at school, then ~8 miles back to work
    4. My employer offers free charging stations

Here's some assumptions I'm making:
    1. I would get better mileage from a gen 3 prius than I'm getting in my gen 2. I'm guestimating 47mpg
    2. I'm guestimating ~75mpg in a PiP - (is that off? Just guessing based on what I have read from others)

If gas were to remain around $3/gal, I would pay $64/month for a standard Prius
    For the PiP, I would pay $40.

This gives me a savings of $24/month, or $288/year. This doesn't seem very substantial. So over a 5-year ownership, I would save $1440 in gas, which I'm guessing is way less than what I would pay for a PiP over a standard Prius.

Am I missing anything? Maybe this is why they still don't sell PiPs in NC.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 gen3 that gives me consistent 3.5 l per 100km or 68 mpg in town. I do much better in town than I do on the open road. I wish I would have gone the pip way! Good luck with whatever you decide. H

#2 HaroldW, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Who knows. It all depends on what your EV ratio is. I live 6 miles from work and get free charging at work. I get about 70% of miles EV, and this includes a few long trips a year, such as SF to LA.
    You'll like the PIP...but without incentives you won't get your money back for many years.

Mike

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmmmm.

First of all....you're a long term driver, so you aren't going to fall for a lease (fleece.)
    With the federal tax kickback pips are now below 30K if you shop wisely, especially outside SoCal where they're in demand so that people can use HOV lanes.
    Gas is NOT going to stay at $3/gal for the next 10 years, and people who hate hydrocarbons for a hobby are whimpering that low fuel prices are depressing hybrid sales. This will probably skew the numbers a little in favor of the pip.
    Also....the next gen hatchback is due for a reboot in 201? so the G3's will REALLY be on sale when the G4's come out. Expect the G4 pip to follow one year later.

I'm thinking that if you keep the car for 10 years and maintain your urban driving patterns then the pip might be a decent choice for you.
    If you didn't pluralize "kid" in your original post, I would have suggested a Volt which is sold in your state, and would allow you to charge at work and have almost no out of pocket fuel expenses based on your daily commute. ;)

If you're wanting a Pip, I'd get one with the expectation that it might not be cheaper to operate over 10 years than a G3 but if it's close enough that you have to take a pencil to paper to figure things out then I'd probably go for the one that you WANT, which for the moment?
    Sounds like a Pip.

I'd wait a few months though, and see if the prices come down a little more.

Good Luck!

Let us know how the coin toss goes.

EDIT: Crap. I forgot the MOST important thing....
    What does your CFO think?

5. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the opinions. Very helpful. Yeah sometimes I wish I didn't pluralize "kid" too. (I'm kidding!! The second one is my favorite).
    I did drive a Volt but can't do it. Not only because of the back seat but also the cargo. My 80lb. labrador retrever fits nicely in the Prius. He wouldn't fair so well in the Volt. I do wish the PiP had that kind of range but I understand where the trad off is.
    Thankfully I'm not under any pressure right now. I'll keep watching the landscape. And the CFO is fine as long as I keep her in the car she wants to be driving. The Prius is "my thing ". ;)

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd definitely get the Pip, then.

Start negotiating either now or well after tax rebate time. Avoid the tidewater area (DC) and start looking in some of those itty-bitty blue sates up North. Somebody up there will want to make one more December sale and you'll have an excuse for a road-trip.
    You'll miss out on the federal kick-back, but there are lots of off-lease pips that you can get fairly cheap if you shop right.
    I don't do it that way myself, but my kid is already out of college. ;)

Since your CFO has "her" car.....chances are that the ROI on that one will be less than the pip----if that ever comes up.

Best of luck!

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the used 2012 PiPs coming to some dealers in Va/Md...maybe I see if these are not moving I'll try for a long shot deal.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you driven a pip in ev? that's what sold me, had nothing to do with money. but yes, your calcs are off. it depends on how much you plug in and what your electric rates are and, of course, where gas goes the next five years. one thing people don't think about is that, after you start driving a plug in, you start looking for more places to plug in, and charging more at home for errands and things. i thing it will add up to a lot more than $1500. over 5 years. the pip is gonna run you about $2-3000. more than an equivalent lift back. (of which, there isn't one.) all the best with your decision!(y)

trentofdestiny likes this.
  9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a disadvantage to the pip in that you lose both trunks and the spare tire.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, that's off. You'll exceed 100 MPG with a 18-mile drive each way with a recharge in between. I easily see higher than that with a slightly shorter commute and charging at work.

My lifetime average (currently at 50,151 miles, with a 19,000-mile annual driving distance, which includes a number of long no-recharge road-trips carrying bikes on back, along with having to endure Minnesota winters) is 73 MPG.

Huh? The battery-pack only uses up the space under the false floor. All the cargo space above that is retained. You get the same large area as the regular model.

11. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I am talking about the area under the floor where you could keep stuff tucked away, and the space below that where the spare lived, and you are talking about the area above the floor that is the back end of the passenger cabin?

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, neither of our posts are truly accurate. You don't lose all of the storage under the floor. It shifts from horizontal to vertical. I've got a surprising amount of stuff crammed into mine too. It's nice having a hidden space to put things. It's not totally rectangular. A quick measure of the biggest dimensions is 34" long, 12" deep, 6" wide.

Basically, all you tradeoff is the spare tire.

13. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hey john, could you post a pic of what this space looks like?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can find many pics in the pip forum.

15. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but that would mean I have to do the work.

Srsly. I have no idea how to search for that. I tried a few keywords but can't find any.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, you're right.

17. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I found one on the google. That is actually larger than I thought, since I was under the impression that all of that space was removed in the PiP. I use that space to stash grocery bags and a few dog toys in my Prius, so I would probably do fine with that.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, it's not bad. i keep car emergency stuff in there. it's probably about 25% of the full one. it's the spare that's a pain, i keep mine above decks.

19. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatchu mean? Above decks?

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on top of the hatch floor. makes it a bit awkward to put a lot of stuff there, but easy to rearrange.