1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning on extensive Maintenance for used prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AllMightyM15, Mar 20, 2016.

1. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, so I got my first car two months ago which is a 2014 Toyota Prius Two with 39,000 miles on it for $12,500 (Talked dealer down from $16,000). And I was planning on doing some big maintenance to it when I get close to 45,000 miles or when the spring pollen season is over. I'm doing:

Oil and oil filter change (Royal Purple)
    Coolant change (debating flush)
    Brake fluid Flush (Worried I may not have enough fluid for flush)
    Air & cabin Filter change
    Transmission fluid change
    Tires rotated and pressure set 2psi above factory recommended

My Questions are

1. How much brake fluid do I need to do a reasonable flush? I have 1,500ml of brake fluid (3 bottles), would I need more? Once read here on this site that the Prius actually holds close to 1gallon of brake fluid altogether but don't know if that is true or if it matters
    2. Do I really need to flush the coolant? I got three containers of Toyota coolant, would that be enough?
    3. How does the a\c system work? I keep getting referred to the first and second gen Prius about it, want to know how it works maintenance wise and if I need to check anything or mess with Freon
    4. Should I also get spark plugs changed or should I do them at 100,000?
    On top of all of this I also got some royal purple ice that I'm gonna add to the coolant and I have a gallon of fuel treatment that's good for 400 gallons, planning on adding that to my fill ups to complement my maintenance

Edit: forgot to add transmission fluid and tires

#1 AllMightyM15, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First there are cheap test strips to detect if there is any reason to bleed the brake fluid.
    amazon.com/Phoenix-Systems-3003-B-Package-Condition/dp/B00E6TXWA6
    If there is no water in the fluid, there is no worry.
    Due to regenerative braking, you can only bleed the brakes with Toyota's Techstream software to open all the brake lines. If you try without the right software, expect a tow to the dealer.

The same Amazon page lists coolant test strips as well. The Prius has two coolant systems, one for the engine, one for the inverter. getting air out of the system is reportedly very difficult.

I would only mess with the A/C if you had symptoms of failure.

To my knowledge, Toyota does not recommend plug changes until 120,000 miles.

Not on your list (nor mentioned in Toyota's recommended maintenance) is a drain and refill of the ATF WS. 45,000 miles is a fine time for this service.

Here is the recommended schedule: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-14Prius/pdf/2014_Toyota_Prius_WMG_lr.pdf (page 44 of the PDF is 45,000 miles)

(I will resist mentioning royal purple and snake oil in the same sentence)

Currawong, Merkey and usnavystgc like this.
  3. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha I would really like to know what you meant by snake oil?

Also I forgot to add the transmission fluid, I do have the bottles for that as I did see the video of someone doing it and how black it was.

So the A/C does take Freon and stuff? I don't plan on messing with it I just want to know how it works and what to look for when I do have problems since I was having a hard time researching about it for a 3rd gen

My goal is to do extensive service like this every 50,000 miles so I won't have to check with strips and stuff, especially the brake fluid which I feel absorbs water the moment I open it up. Better safe then sorry but also not trying to brake the bank

4. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your car does not need any additives -- if it did, Toyota would add them. Porsche does not use coolant additive - Your Prius certainly does not need them -- don't put anything in the coolant.

I stick fuel additive in my old MB's -- no modern car needs a fuel additive at 39k

Our oldest Prius (2011) -- has 130k on it and we just did a simple coolant exchange and Plugs - At 110k

I believe Toyota says 10 years and 100k for the coolant -- ours looked new at 110k. The procedure is a simple refresh -- drain what comes out and refill. No flush.

The DOT 3 fluid is normally fine up to 5 years -- Some change at three (not me). German cars use dot 4e or 4+ -- they need to be changed at 2 years.

The plugs on ours at 110k -- looked amazing. The plugs are a bit of a pain as the wipers need to come off. Yours are fine.

You have no maintenance records -- what kind of dealer? At 39k it would be due for it's every 10k oil change. I would look to see if the air filter has been changed. The most your car is going to need is both filters and an oil/filter change. I did the trans oil at 100k -- but even that is overkill IMO.

Don't touch the AC. I have AC in some cars for 15 years without ever touching them -- In fact i can't think of any Japanese car I have ever had to fix an AC system. The Prius has an electric compressor ... it needs no regular maintenance.

Do no harm ... Leave it alone.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i would do the engine oil, filters and tranny fluid. don't forget to rotate your tyres and keep the pressure up, no need to overdo it. all the best, and thank you for your service!(y)

6. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, not messing with A\C but still looking to learn about it, won't touch anything not broken.

Fuel additive is preventive maintenance for me, know how much smoke the advertisements say about the stuff, want to keep,y stuff clean in the long run though, hence my ideology of long term fuel additive.

Only record is a carcax of an oil changed done about 30,000 miles ago that's all.

Won't do a coolant flush then as I can agree the coolant does look very good in my vehicle. Also won't do the spark plugs (Thanks)

7. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Haha thanks I forgot about the tires, yes it'll be adding that to the list

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Royal Purple is selling reputation, not product. all you need is product.

A/C may need freon (r143a) in 15 years, but not now unless you break the seal on the A/C.
    As to how it works, here is a video on the electrics, the A/C motor is mentioned at 15;15 to 17:00.

You seem eager to blow a grand to save $5 in tests, I question the wisdom of that.

usnavystgc likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You mention you have transaxle fluid. Is it Toyota ATF-WS? I would not use anything else. Just drain and fill. I find a funnel and 3' of hose is a simple alternative to the pump mentioned in the linked video.

Coolant, two circuits, should be fine for some time, no need to change now, even less to flush.

Brake fluid should be changed tri-yearly, according to Toyo Canada, but proceed cautiously, follow the video in the link.

Oil and filter change is doable, but you want to get a decent oil filter socket, and get familiar with the engine underpanel removal. Toyota 0W20 is fine, and cheap.

Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

If you're seriously interested I'll post some PDFs tomorrow, with details, torque values.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Merkey likes this.
  10. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with most of the others.

Dude, just do an oil/filter change every10K (or 12 months)

rotate your tires once a year

put in a new air filter every couple years

and you'll enjoy driving the heck out of it for the next 20 years or whatever. (Taxi Cab companies abuse the hell out of 'em and they keep running fine.)

Toyota calls their trans fluid "lifetime" fluid. Listen to yeldogt, above, and don't even worry about it.

Save your money.

And who put it in your head that you need "fuel treatment"? Just buy Top Tier gas like Chevron, Mobil, or Shell etc, and you'll be good. (If it really bugs you, just pour in a small cheap bottle of Chevron Techron once a year.)

Just the opinion of an old guy (who wasted WAY TOO MUCH money on unnecessary/unneeded maintenance the last 40 years.)

#10 Coast Cruiser, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Merkey and GrGramps like this.
  11. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the video, the hybrid system is marvelous, inspires me to want to go to school to be an actual advance system mechanic

Also I see, if royal purple really just sells reputation and there is no performance difference between them and toyotas products I will use Toyota products next time.

Yes please if you can and its not too much trouble, the pdf with details would be appreciated.

I have Toyota transmission fluid, I did extensive research before posting, I know why you should use Toyota and not anybody else.

Also in Europe, Toyota actually sells 5.1 brake fluid, I have three bottles of it and want to start switching out the DOT 3 with the DOT 5.1 fluid. Wish I could just drain it dry and then put the fluid in, but I know all the problems associated with that and the need for tech stream UNLESS you put the vehicle in maintenance mode. Which is also a bit risky IMO if you do something wrong.

I use Exxon for regular gas and if I do put premium in I put Shell, I've done extensive reasarch on gas and octane and what it means in vehicles and the additives different companies put in their stock gas. Exxon has the most additives in their regular gas and Shell has the most additives in their premium gas. I don't use premium much at all since it won't really make a difference, just again a peace of mind at preventive maintenance.

As far as fuel additives go, again, reasarched it extensively, they are mostly smoke with heavy advertisements that don't do much. But they do actually do some cleaning, my ideology is I would want to have a large cost effective amount of fuel additive that I could put in my tank refills overtime. Cleaning little by very little and once I go through the container to be done with fuel additives for atleast 100,000 miles.

The thing I do not want to do is waste TOO much money of stuff not needed, a little is for PMS but that's all.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would stick with DOT3 fluid.

Just back away from "improving" the fluids, concentrate on basic maintenance as spec'd, for the most part, and you'll be fine.

The one exception imho would be the transaxle fluid: an early change is cheap insurance, then you can increase the interval. Say right away, then every 60,000 miles or so. The drain and fill bolts require a (male) 10mm hex head driver, Stanley for one makes a set. Remove the fill bolt first, then the drain, just in case. As mentioned above, a funnel with hose extension is dead-simple way to fill. You just raise and level the car, and fill till it starts coming back out. Torque specs are in one of the attachments.

13. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hmmm, the guy in the video thinks there is a D/C to AirConditioning converter.....:cry::LOL:
    no need for me to watch more of this video//

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And he is right, it is solely for the A/C. In fact he points out that it is the same as the DC to AC inverters for M/G1 and M/G2, just in a smaller power level. It is also an DC to AC inverter, but this one is dedicated to the A/C. (the next part, that you seem to have skipped, was a DC to DC converter for the 12 volt battery)

15. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why? Is there a particular proven reason why you wouldn't opt for better fluid if it was time for change? Dot 5.1 if you can get through price is superior then Dot 3, and while yes they have Dot 3 fluids that meet the same specs as a Dot 5.1 or maybe even better, you know a Dot 5.1 fluid has met the requirements to be a Dot 5.1 where the Dot 3 may not completely comply.

Another ideology of mine is "Better Fluid = Better protection/longer service intervals" I don't have to remind everybody the stigma Full Synthetic Oil faced with "Old heads" when it was introduced right?

iPhone ?

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just because it's purple or red, doesn't mean it's better. in some amsoil studies (if you can trust them), purple or red was below the average or even the worst. unlike the regular products on the shelf, they are not even API certified, so they shouldn't be used. don't be brainwashed by the hype.

Merkey likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    5.1 is better than 3, by 2.1. :)

Seriously, I don't know the first thing about it, just know they're not compatible, and once a system has 3, it will surely mess it up switching.

18. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So this is the information I got from Wikipedia,

Boiling point ranges
    DOT 3 205 °C (401 °F) 140 °C (284 °F)
    DOT 5.1 260 °C (500 °F) 180 °C (356 °F)

Maximum viscosity ranges
    DOT 3 -40°C°F 1500cst
    DOT 5.1 -40°C°F 900cst

Dot 5.1 is compatible with Dot 3, they are both polyethylene glycol-based fluid unlike the Dot 5, which is silicone-based. Dot 5.1 is less than 70% silicone, if its any more than that, it would be considered a Dot 5. So you are safe in using Dot 5.1 in replacement of Dot 3, but you still flush the brake system every 2-3 years since its hygroscopic. The only difference I see here is the boiling point ranges and maximum viscosity ranges. I'm not sure about performance wise since I haven't used it before.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. AllMightyM15

AllMightyM15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've actually seen studies that also did a viscosity test when a couple of oil products were left in the freezer for a while, Purple did't perform all that well actually, there were 4 products and it came in third, with a Walmart brand placing last.

So trust me when I say I AM NOT naive to advertisements, I look at everything like its lying initially until I see the results. I just happen to already have purple since I got a nice deal on a big container.

Yes, they are basically the same fluid with better stats. I would advise not to expect to "Feel" any difference at between the two unless your current fluid is water downed and dirty.

Since I never had a hybrid before (or a car for that matter as this Prius is my first every) I don't know exactly if the slight softness in the brakes is due to the regenerative system or indication it's about that time for a change.

iPhone ?

20. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well the Prius brake system is really responsive and sensitive, a slight tap on the brake pedal will cause the caliper piston to depress on the rotors and engage real quick. I have a Honda Accord and I use a little more pressure to apply the brakes than the Prius. I don't like the Prius brakes so much since its different, but it does save your brake pads and rotors in the long run due to the regenerative braking system. :)