1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning to buy a used 2007 Prius - Advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Santosh, Apr 20, 2017.

1. biglew8

biglew8 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would ask the Ford location to see what services were done on it by them. At 100,000 miles according to the maintenance schedule (https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/07ToyMS_MS0003/pdf/07ToyMS_MS0003.pdf), the big service needed is to replace the engine coolant. I am not sure why it does not say to replace inverter coolant on the guide. At 120,000 miles, the major service is to replace the spark plugs. Ask them to see if they followed the guide. Also see how much life is left in the brakes and tires. I personally would not pay $7000 for the Prius. Like @andrewclaus suggested, offer $4000-$4500 and see where that takes you. I prefer to buy a car that only has 1 previous owner and with many service records. Maybe try to continue to look for other Prius or even a Corolla or a Civic. Those also are good in gas mileage but you don't have to worry or plan for replacing the hybrid battery.

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not worth a DIME over $5k unless there is a NEW OEM battery in it within the past 12 months, regardless of vehicle condition or equipment.

Use the NADA trade value on this vehicle for your area. I know, trade is trade.... normally but not in this market. With all the OEM financing options on new and CPO vehicles, the KBB and NADA values on the STREET are falling faster than then is reflected. Every vehicle over 10 years old, except an SUV or PU can be had for TRADE $$$$, if not less! EVERY dealer who has been in the business more than a few months uses the NADA guide, so you should as well.

3. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with others who have said that $7k is way too expensive for this car, as well as those who recommend having a "battery fund" set aside. The dealership price will likely be at least $3600.

I own a 2005 and a forum member just replaced my battery with one that he built up with Gen3 cells from a 2015 Prius, for $1200. This was a great price and he drove 6.5 hours roundtrip to install it for me. I also considered a local B&M who offered a new battery with new Gen3 Toyota cells for $2200, and that's with a 3-year warranty. You can get cheaper Dorman options, which I did once, but I won't go that route again.

I think that for your $7k you could get a newer one with less miles, but good luck with whatever option you choose.

bisco likes this.
  4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    do you live in california ? oh man. my catalytic converter is failing. i have to drive it to Lucisous Garage in san francisco for a new catalytic converter. that costs $2100 at least. in california , you can't put on used converters. if you live in california, don't listen to all these posts about the battery. worry about the CAT!!, I'm getting rid of my prius and getting a prime in a week. my prius has 180k
    the battery failing is no big deal, you can save money. but there is no way to legally save money thanks to that 2009 cat law.

bisco likes this.
  5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Catalytic converter failures are VERY rare, usually due to excessive oil consumption or operation with leaded fuel (almost never happens today).

Toyota and Subaru are WELL KNOWN for logging "cat efficiency below threshold" (or similar) DTCs when in fact, the emissions performance of the system are well and completely within regulatory limits - like W A A A A Y Y Y Y Y within limits.

It is sometimes (read OFTEN) suggested that a MAF or TB cleaning can resolve this, or worse that replacing one of both oxygen sensors can fix it. While oxygen sensors certainly DO fail and even become less responsive with age (don't we all ;) ), they are rarely the CAUSE of these codes.

One highly effective solution is to remove the REAR oxygen sensor and install a sparkplug "anti-fouler" (18mm thread size for most sensors), after you enlarge the center hole to 1/2" or greater diameter and thread them into the sensor boss then the sensor into them. At that point, for reasons I do not fully understand, you clear the cat efficiency code with the sensor installed into the stack of 2 anti-foulers and PRESTO! The "bad cat" is now "fixed".