1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planning to document engine knock

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With the outside temperature 32 degrees and expected to get cooler before dawn, I backed our 2010 Prius down the 40 yard driveway, turned it around, and backed it to the original parking place. This took less than a minute so the catalytic converters never had a chance to 'light-off.'

In the morning, I'll configure our AutoEnginuity to record all engine metrics. Then I'll start it up and record the knock event. I'll setup the cell phone to make an audio recording. Hopefully we'll have some good data in the morning.

Bob Wilson

Chazz8 likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It didn't knock.

Bob Wilson

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Trying a new protocol:
    • Scangauge shows 0.64 gal/hr that drops to 0.32 gal/hr after cats light off
    I stopped the engine AFTER it reached 0.32 gal/hr and in a few hours I'll try again . . . with AutoEnginuity. If no knock, I'll try 0.64 gal/hr and we'll see.

Bob Wilson

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wash or spray the car down with water the night before. That might help things along.

5. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've found that -in some cases- when the engine is cold, the knock can be initiated by starting the engine, turning it off immediately, and then restarting. I have *not* thoroughly tested this, since I greatly dislike the knocking... ;-)

6. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wash the car...let it sit at least two hours. Start the Prius..then right when the engine kicks on power it off. Next morning start it up and it should happen.

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, this is how to do it:

Watch at 1:11.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Due to an unfortunate Windows vs. hacker event, I wiped out my infected, virtual PC and AutoEnginuity. I'll eventually replace it but not right away. We're already past the window of when the intermittent engine knock occurs. But I was able to replicate something like it using E85 after a freezing weather, cold-soak.

I am fairly sure the cold-weather, engine knock, is tied to an engine, 'open loop' control problem. Somehow the engine long-term trim and cold weather is leading to a short period of excessive lean operation and possibly poor spark advance. It could be E10 contributes but like a little dog, the bark is worse than the bite.

Bob Wilson

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck proving it. Cold starts are always rich, by definition, and not lean.
    Like I said in the comment in the youtube video, moisture in combustion chambers and intake from a previous cold shutdown and cold soak temporarily shorts a spark plug or two.