1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic baffle knocked loose under radiator

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by genalex, May 28, 2007.

1. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Entering an unfamiliar bank driveway I hopped onto and off a shallow lane divider. Scraping noise, but no apparent damage, no operational problems. After visiting the ATM and restarting I heard a faint scraping sound from the front end. Peering under the radiator revealed a plastic baffle panel dangling by one (of 4?) snap in fasteners. Pulled it off and continued driving for the rest of the weekend.

Questions: Will the absence of this baffle impair radiator or a/c operation?
    Can I conn the dealer into re-installing it and charging my Toyota extended warranty?
    Should I just buy the missing snap fasteners and attempt to re-insert it myself?
    Does anyone with a service manual have a diagram that shows how this part fits?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i knocked both of mine off in a similar situation. i think i drove around without them for a few months- until DH did a thorough once-over in preparation for a road trip. nothing abnormal- it's there to prevent road debris from kicking up and to smooth out airflow under there IIRC.

since it was driver error (hopping the divider) the EW probably will not cover it. i don't think they're hard to reinstall, but DH had a lift.

3. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ May 28 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]450883[/snapback]</div>
    Did you ever get this done? My toyota stealership will print a copy of the page that the parts are on for my reference when I purchase/order small parts like this at my request. Keep this in mind when at the dealer.
    D Rock

4. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Jul 24 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]484485[/snapback]</div>

Not yet. Still have the part in my den, waiting for my next oil change. Tnx for the info.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genalex @ Jul 25 2007, 01:53 AM) [snapback]484558[/snapback]</div>
    In another thread I posted that I believed I was missing 2 of the snap connectors (1 each side) on the front panel. After a tiny bit of obligatory whining CH Toyota popped them in under warranty. There are a couple of empty holes in the plastic under the back bumper and I'll ask about them next time I'm at the dealer (whenever that may be).

IMO it would be a goodwill gesture for the dealer to replace the connectors and reattach the piece on your next oil change. Reword your story and ask. If they won't do it under warranty ask how much the crappy plastic fasteners cost. If you feel the price is excessive probably no harm done leaving it off. On the plus side, if you push too hard on your grill insulation you'll find the piece on the ground.

Are these standard fasteners that can be found at any auto parts store?