1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic fuel tank melted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by T1 Terry, Jan 8, 2023.

1. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After a few trips up and down our bush track to get in and out from the house, now the roads are flooded, has resulted in the exhaust pipe being force up against the plastic fuel tank, rubbed through the heat shield and melted a hole in the fuel tank.
    Did a Google search and found this stuff, "Dynasteel" brand Plastic fuel tank repair kit.
    Tried a piece cut off the sausage of the two parts on the epoxy putty, folded and twisted etc to mix it together, but it wouldn't stick because of the amount of fuel over the rear surface. Manged to jam a pea size bit in the more serious hole, bit where it was seeping out through the plastic I couldn't get the putty to stick of press into any of the holes.
    I found some "Stag" I had that i used many moons back to seal up the cases of my VW motor when I rebuilt it last time, forced some of that into the area and the fuel leak has stopped. turns out it takes 24 hrs for "Stag" to dry, so more repairs tomorrow and then wrap that part of the exhaust in heat shield tape in an effort to stop a repeat problem.

T1 Terry

2. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The tank is made of a combination of "alloyed" nylon with the main component being polyethylene. There are no solvent component adhesives or epoxies that will "glue" polyethylene successful;y.

Heat welding is the only successful method of joining polyethylene. With a tank of gasoline, that is not a viable option.

Replacement is the only safe option.

fotomoto and prius16 like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can we not remove the fuel let it sit for a day foam it put foam in the tank but the rest of the fuel in the foam run out of the hole you've created and then you can polyethylene well the tank which is plastic welding I don't think that will be too violent with pretty much foamed out dead old fuel hell some of the gas we have today will barely burn and compression let alone out in the wild just kidding of course but it's not like it used to be. I was just curious about this One of my buddies blizilla down under does all kinds of crazy Toyoda mods

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did it also burn through the rubber bladder inside? Fixing the outer tank (assuming that is even possible) without fixing the bladder is not actually a fix.

5. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Australian model doesn't have a bladder in the tank. The small plug of this 2 part epoxy putty stopped the bigger leak, the Stag has stopped the pin hole leaks and this morning I mixed about a golf ball size bit of the putty, that seems to have anchored to the Stag and the roughed up area around the melted bit, I taped up the pipe with heat wrap and all seems to be working fine at the moment. My wife and 76 yr old friend have headed off to Adelaide on a 200km plus round trip, so I guess I'll find out if it was a success or not .... I did cut the tin foil part of the heat shield (that had rubbed through) from the more rigid heat shield that protected the side of the tank and refitted that piece, so fingers crossed it was a successful repair ......
    With 760,000 kms on the clock now, it would be a cruel end to such a tough little machine if it caught fire ..... but that is unlikely, more the rather expensive fuel leaking out would cause such a smell inside and outside the car when she stops to shop, that I'll get a phone call to come pick them up with a trailer to bring the taxi Prius home.

T1 Terry

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Youv probably got it for time being..

7. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It will be interesting just how long the patch lasts. I would have thought the pea sized bit jammed in the hole would have let go after sitting for 2 days if it was going to fail, but who knows really, I know Stag will remain petrol and oil proof over the long term, it used metho as a base so petrol and diesel have no effect on it.
    Back in the days I was rebuilding British bike motors and gearboxes and recovering fuel tanks that had pin prick rust holes, I'd mix Stag and metho to make a very thin liquid and paint the insides of the crank cases a coat every day till it built up a red coating inside and sloshed the same sort of mix all over the inside surfaces of the fuel tanks until is stopped appearing on the outside of the tank, then another few coats for good luck :lol: A wipe over with a metho soaked rag on the outside would clean off any that leaked through, and the oil leaks and fuel leaks were a thing of the past.

T1 Terry

fotomoto and Tombukt2 like this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Triumph days

9. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    BSA and Matchless were the worst, but my Nortons weren't far behind in the external oil cooler stakes ....... usually passed off as sweat from all the horsepower or a special feature that cooled the oil before it fell on the ground or all over the rear tyre .... most exciting when leaning that bit harder into the corner because you misjudge the entry speed :lol:

Well, as far as the leaking fuel tank, all good so far, even handled the goat track to the house and back out, so for the moment it seems to have worked .... if it was going to shake out or loose, the road to the track or the track itself would have it well loosened by now .....

T1 Terry

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well it's good to know that Gen 2's from across the pond don't have the stupid bladder and the gas tank so there is hope to be able to fit a normal gas tank to a Gen 2 and be able to drive I don't care about lights being on it doesn't matter in my state but at least the car will work The bladder thing sounds like a bad idea from day one hence it wasn't allowed in the Aus. It's funny how some of that stuff works

11. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are plenty of Vehicle Dismantlers (we call them wreckers) with Gen2 vehicles that would have the plastic tank you need, it's just the freight might be a bit of a shock if the freight people charge as much to move parts from here to the USA as they charge from the USA to here. Our fuel lines use those click-lock couplings, so if the US bladder type use a different connection method, you might need to get a section of the fuel supply and return pipes as well ..... no idea if the fuel pumps swap over or even if the fuel pump comes out of the Australian version, so there is that part to consider as well.

T1 Terry

12. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a 2 part adhesive that will bond poly. I think it was 3M. Use it on my kayaks and it really does stick to that stuff.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  13. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Something I hadn't thought about until last night, Stag is dissolved by metho, metho is actually ethanol and that is what they add to E10 petrol and that is what the Prius runs on ....... it's only 10% ethanol as the name suggests, so I guess it's a wait and see thing .... the top layer of the epoxy putty is attached to the thick layer of Stag I plastered over the pinholes in the plastic caused by the tank melting and the built up pressure inside the tank due to the heat we are suffering now full on summer has arrived .... going from 9*C to 40*C is a big jump, no progressive warm up through spring this yr due to the Antarctic winds the were sent over Australia for over 6 mths, best we get used to it, the weather is never going to be predictable like it was in the past ......

T1 Terry

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if Stag is a product I can look up here. When I read "metho", I think "methanol", which is distinct from ethanol (ethanol has one more C and two more H, and doesn't get turned into formic acid in the liver). But maybe "metho" is a regular term in your part of the world for something else?

15. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Its full name is metholated spirits and in the early days the govt mandated an amount of methanol be added with the excuse it was a bittering agent to discourage drinking it to avoid the alcohol tax. Sadly, those that needed cheap easy to get booze would still drink it mixed with what ever to make it taste better.
    Methanol causes blindness if consumed so these poor soles ended up blind and have destroyed livers.
    The govt had to change the mandated methanol content when someone took them to court regarding deliberately blinding people in an attempt to stop alcohol tax avoidance, and the govt lost, so now they use something else to make it taste bad, but it's still known as metho or metholated spirits as it is used for the same original designed purpose, as a cleaner and as a fuel for metho stoves .....
    It is also excellent for absorbing water from petrol and carries it through the system to be burnt in the combustion process ....

Thus ends my talk on the metho origins :lol:

T1 Terry

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, so roughly what we call "denatured alcohol" around here, for fueling stoves, dissolving shellac, &c.

17. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like the same stuff, we also have a product called White Spirit, I've never used it. It is much like turpentine or turps as it is generally referred to in Aust, the difference being, white spirit is a petroleum distillate while Turps is made from the sap of the turpentine tree, a common native tree along the east coast. Not the choice wood for the BBQ, the smell makes anything cooked over it inedible :lol: Mostly used as oil based house paint thinners.

T1 Terry