1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic interior finish pealing away!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jmacsva, Aug 9, 2004.

1. jmacsva

jmacsva New Member

On our first extended trip with our Prius I found that the grey finish on the armrest/window control panel is wearing away from my knee resting against the door? Has anyone else notice this problem? Approximately 6 inches of the finish is gone along the facing edge of the grey plastic that houses the window controls.
    Thanks.
    john

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What is the underlying color? Is it some sort of primer color? My thought is that the plastic interior parts may all be beige when produced, then the grey is added to those destined to go into grey interiors. I have the beige interior and haven't noticed any wear. I too am tall and my knees rest against the door. I've had my car since the end of February and have about 6800 miles on it. I would also be interested to know how the interiors are wearing from you folks with higher mileages.
    Now for a silly question: what kind of pants do you normally wear? Levis would be more abrasive, I suspect, than lighter cotton materials. I any case, it sounds like a warranty issue. A car as new as yours must be shouldn't be wearing like that, and it doesn't fit with Toyota's normally high standards.
    Bob

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    11,600 miles, Seaside Pearl with beige interior. Did my own Scotchguard, no wear anywhere. Only thing really wearing out is my smile from driving this car! Did spill a strawberry sundae and a coffee on front seats. Cleaned up perfectly. Drive fun, drive clean (emissions as well as sundaes!), drive Prius.

4. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Beige interior here.. No real wear problems. I also had the dealer-added fabric and paint protection (they threw that in). I do, however, notice that the embossed white writing on many of the buttons, especially the wheel controls, are wearing off quickly. You can tell which buttons get used more often just by looking at the dash.

5. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I try to make a conscious effort to not push on the area on the buttons that has the lettering. I immediately noticed soon after taking delivery that the lettering could be easily susceptible to prematurely rubbing away.
    Beige interior here too with no apparent wear on the door panels,

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please post a picture of this problem. My leg rubs against that area all the time from the way I sit but after 11k miles+ I've noticed no such problem.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only problem i've noticed so far is the cloth ont he center console has become loose where you grab it. I feel that it's no longer tucked and comming undone. Any advice for me? I haven't really looked at it. Haven't had the time. I wonder if i can re tuck it.
    :mrgreen:

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A number of other people have reported, here and elsewhere, that the cloth at the front of the Center Console door comes loose.

In all the cases I've seen, Toyota has replaced the lid under warrantee.

I'm glad I read these forums, because now mine is starting to come loose. Normally I'd just grab the glue, but since I know it's a known issue that Toyota apparently accepts and fixes without undue drama, I'm just going to wait for my next scheduled service, and get it done then.

I may call them in advance, and drop by so they can 'observe and approve' it and have the part ready.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.. i'll be sure to do the same.. another.. 700 miles till my first oil change.. all in less than 2 months.. hehe

BTW... do you have to take the car to the dealer you purchased it from? Can you go to any Toyota dealer to get an oil change or replacement part?

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Any dealer has to recognize the Toyota Warranties. Unless your dealership promised you free oil changes or maintenace when you bought your car.

11. jmacsva

jmacsva New Member

plastic parts

We have the tan interior - the issue is with the grey window control panel that wraps and blends with the beige plastic door panel. I have been playing golf every day, twice a day so my guess is that the sunblock has eaten away the grey metallic finish... the undercoat is primer gray.

I am still on vacation and will take it to our dealer when I return. Other then that we have no problems and since we are in Michigan (near Detriot) the Prius is a very rare sighting for the locals.

Thanks for all the responses.

john

12. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Same interior finish fading/wear away problem hereto...burgundy/gray finish on black #9

13. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I have an ongoing case with the driver side door contacting the dashboard left side trim panel; there is obvious wear due to both surfaces coming into contact, which they should not.

Dashboard trim panel replaced; symptoms persist.

The door panel is about $ 1,500.00. They are hinting at a local body shop making "an adjustment".

I have a better idea which I will be "sharing" with them, shortly.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Bob

14. Hybred

Hybred New Member

I noticed what I thought was grime on the burgundy plastic next to the driver side window but upon closer inspection I found that a small chip of paint had come off, and underneath a greyish primer? I truly hope that I somehow caused this (not likely as it is in a spot I rarely have occasion to touch) because it doesn't bode well for the rest of the plastics.

15. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

I've reported this to Toyota ... they are playing stupid. If we all call to report this defect, perhaps they'll get smarter....their number is 800 331 4331 toyota then press #3

16. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I had the cloth center console problem after about a 1000 miles. Toyota replaced it under warranty. The second one has lasted for an additional 8000 miles so far...

17. radiovan

radiovan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Grey Color Plastic Underneath "Black" Upper Door P

I made the mistake of using Armor All on the off-black interior thinking it was solid plastic. So far I haven't been able to remove the discoloration.

To make matters worse my dog made a scratch in one door panel. :( I sanded it out with 600 grit and that is how I found that the base plastic is grey.

After making several phone calls I finally found a shop that does interior repainting (they call dyeing). I'm planning to remove the door panels to install the "generic Dynamat" from McMaster-Carr to improve the sound and stop the annoying bass buzzing noises. Hopefully I can get a tougher satin black finish applied over the existing green/brown/black color.

18. jmacsva

jmacsva New Member

sound proofing

I would be very interested in the effectiveness of the sound proofing. Please let us know the results.
    Thanks, john

19. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

had the 40d update done today...the dealer orderd a new plastic plate where the finish was wearing away....hey, no my gas gauge doesn't work...what gives? filled up, the bars did not increase..