1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic screw seat for bottom plastic cover broken

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by hj630, Jan 19, 2017.

1. hj630

hj630 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    I bought lots of screw and the seat here because I have one for the oil change access panel broken. But the problem is the seat only stay tight on the car. I see the hole is much bigger than the seat. Is there anything else I need to buy? Or is the size I have is wrong? I don't know if I explained my problem clearly or not ....

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The attached pdf has parts numbers for the fasteners on the regular 3rd gen Prius, might help you. The two fastener types actually needed for a typical unde rpanel removal are:

Item (3) : 90467-07201 Thin Metal & Plastic Clips (main fastener style, majority of fasteners)
    Item (5) : 90467-09227 Thicker Metal & Plastic Clips (more robust, grey-color pin, at oil pan access flap)

Again, this is for regular 3rd gen Prius, may or may not be applicable for your Prius v

Where did you buy your fasteners? I would suggest if you haven't: pick them up at a Toyota dealership parts department, at least the first time. They will ensure you've got the right style of fasteners. They can be expensive, $3~5 per fastener.

If you can find a good third party supplier cheaper that's good, but can be time consuming, and frustrating if the fasteners are just similar, and maybe poor quality.

The fasteners typically have a central pin in a larger surround piece, and the latter has jaws. When the central pin is pulled out partially, the surround jaws relax, get closer together. You push in the fastener into the hole like that, then push the central pin in, to be flush. That action spreads the surround piece jaws outward, locking the fastener in the hole.

Here's an example image of such a fastener, the central pin raised, surround jaws close together:

upload_2017-1-19_10-7-40.png

If you are going to be removing these yourself in future:

Always pry them out carefully, gently lift the center pin first, then work them out. There are various tools that can help with this. And before reinstalling, wash them out in hot, soapy water, to float out any trapped grit. Doing this, they will last. It is rushed professional mechanics with no time to do these steps that brake these. That and maybe scraping curbs.

FWIW, I've done maybe 11 oil changes myself now. The car's never had a "professional" take off the engine underpanel. I remove the entire panel at each oil change, never just the small flap at oil pan. I'm still on the original fasteners. It just takes care and diligence, something the pros can't afford, it takes time and they charge exorbitant hourly rates.

Attached Files:

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably have the wrong one. A couple of tips, go to the dealer when you need something like this or if you are not sure about the part number. Then either buy from them if they are priced ok and you only need a couple screws or keepers, or else write down the part number they look up if you want to buy online. All the parts guys I have seen care less if you buy from the dealer, their main job is to supply dealer and other local mechanics.

One example, I needed a new antenna base which has an integated rf amp. There are at least three for my model of v. Online sources pointed me to the wrong one but luckily I did not buy it only to find out the problem in the middle of an extensive interior panel removal job. Went to the dealer with my vin and Toyota parts immediately called up the right antenna amp and cable assembly installed on my car. They would have to order it. I ended up buying the part online from another Toyota dealer on the east coast for about 60% of my dealers price. By the way, not all deals are on ebay or amazon. Search google using the right part number and Toyota and you will often end up at a dealer's parts website.

Sometimes it helps if you just ask your dealer for a better price.

#3 rjparker, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. hj630

hj630 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Thanks. I will try. I wonder if it is because the metal this thing stay on is broken. Because the rest of the fastener will fit in the other plastic seat, only one place, where the seat is broken and I need to replace both the center fastener and the seat have problem.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any chance of some pics?

Just to confirm: your location is Naperville (mispelling)? A district of Chicago, Illinois, USA? You're in the 'States?

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. hj630

hj630 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Sorry I don't have any pic right now but I will do it when I change oil. Yes I'm in Naperville IL

Mendel Leisk likes this.