1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Playing music through iPod 4 USB makes occasional static popping sounds

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Deleted member 111882, Jul 22, 2013.

1. So I connect my iPod 4 using USB to my car. But as of the last few weeks, when I play songs on it, I hear an occasional static popping sound as the music is playing. The static is just a light click/pop, randomly every few seconds or so, and it's somewhat unnerving because I don't recall having this issue when I started using my iPod in my car.

I tried switching to another connector, and the same thing happened.

But when I play music using the auxilary connection, that is, through the 3.5 mm audio jack on my iPod, that music comes in with no static-like pops.

I checked both connector cables, and they look fine to me. I checked the USB port at the the car. I also tried wiggling the cable while music was playing, but wiggling didn't create any more or fewer popping sounds.
    What's going on?

2. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Where is the iPod located when you play via USB? Is it happening regardless of whether the iPod is laying on the car-seat, in your hand, or on the hard dash etc?

3. It's plugged into an iPod dock connector. I set it in place and leave it there for the ride. I tried wiggling the connector cables but that doesn't seem to do anything.

4. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    wow. interesting. And frustrating! It sounds like it might be a grounding issue... like a static charge building up in the iPod and then releasing. Just out of curiosity... if you can try "grounding" the iPod in a simple/easy way to test... like running a wire that just touches the metal frame of the iPod and then connecting to a metal screw that's secured to the car's frame or something to see if that changes anything... worth a try?

5. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you call in to complain? or show the dealers to get them to look for a solution.

6. Interesting. I'll see what I have laying around. I'm not knowledgeable enough to get into the mechanics, so what kind of grounding screw could I use? Could I just run a wire around the outside body of the car and hold it there? (Edit: Actually wouldn't a tire cap work?)

Not yet. If the issue is my iPod... then there's really nothing a dealership needs to do. I want to rule out my iPod first, since I have no issues using the 3.5mm analog on it.

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    hook it up to your phone...

8. Well I have somewhat inconclusive results. Grounding the iPod shell seemed to work (maybe one pop over the span of a few minutes)...
    ...but then when I returned the iPod to its original "it makes popping sounds" setup... I again heard only maybe one, or two, pops per minute.

9. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, you got my idea exactly. Not really important for the experiment "how" the wire is attached, so long as you have metal-metal contact going on between the iPod and the car.

Since grounind the shell seemed to affect it, my guess is that the source of the pop is static electricity or a charge building up. When you say "returned the iPod to its original" do you mean its original dock or holder? Is that plastic?

Can you keep the ground wire stuck to the iPod itself and see if the pops subside? tape can work and it's fast/easy to experiment.

let us know!

10. I removed the grounding wire. The iPod stayed in its dock. There is a soft plastic shell around the iPod.

So, I kept the ground wire on the iPod shell for a longer time (5 minutes) and I had the volume up pretty high. No popping.
    But again after I removed the grounding wire, the popping didn't seem to come back either.

11. So what do you guys think? Is my iPod connector damaged, and need to be repaired?

12. Alright well this is bewildering. I did those grounding tests a few weeks back...and then I didn't bother to use my iPod since then. I went back to using my iPod like normal again today, and I haven't heard the popping all day. I guess the problem remedied itself.

13. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    I hope it's gone, but it's probably just a fluke that it's not happening right now (sometimes I find that when don't use something for a while, it's excellent for like a week).

It seems to be a common problem though, this Apple discussion has a lot of information if it comes back (fingers crossed for you that it doesn't!)

Popping Sound with USB: Apple Support Communities