1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Playing music through Usb port

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Black&White, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Black&White

Black&White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    On my old iphone I used to use the usb port to charge, and play my music through. I just got a new phone, this time an android note 4, i noticed when i plug in my phone to the usb port, it won't play music, it just says error. It does however charge the phone. Is there any way around this? I know i can use bluetooth, but ive always prefered the usb port. Any suggestions?

2. spyderx

spyderx Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got the same error on my aftermarket HU too on my new phone, Note 3. I believe this is true for most or all Andriods connecting via USB. It will charge but will not relay the signals to HU. Works with Apple but not Android, for now. Blue tooth streaming only for Android...

Only possible solution is to find an aftermarket HU with this special feature for Androids. I'm still looking for one...

Anyways, when comparing the sound quality of playing Pandora via my old iphone 4S between USB and Bluetooth from my stock HU I couldn't tell the difference. On aftermarket HUs with better fidelity the difference was there for sure...

BTW, I'm really liking my new phone, Note 3! My first Android.

#2 spyderx, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you'll find the same is true with any phone hooked up that way. No access to the music. Even as a charging source, it's very slow, just a trickle. Better off getting an adapter for the cigarette lighter socket.

As for playing the music with USB, get yourself a san disc cruzer. it's a nice little compact USB thumb drive with no handle. It's barely bigger than the USB socket itself. Copy the songs on your phone to that and plug it in. Works great and is hardly noticeable. Also works with voice commands.

4. Black&White

Black&White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, strange only iphones would work. I'll just stick to using bluetooth with the android. Thanks for the response.