1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Playstation 3 Frenzy...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be great if we saw lines forming outside polling places, instead of Walmarts...wouldn't it?

This is exactly why I got out of advertising. It seems so weird to create artificial demand for products that most folks probably can't afford (even if there's still available credit on one of their credit cards) and certainly don't need.

Remember how kids were killing each other for Nike basketball sneakers?

I think it's actually more difficult for those parents who *can* afford this stuff, since even if they don't want their child getting into it all of his friends are.

I share the Squid's concerns about the dumbing down of America, and have the belief that it has much to do with our shift away from a print-driven culture to a visually-driven one.

Do you remember that public service announcement where a kid's sitting on the couch, playing a video game -- he's really going at it -- and finally he gets to the next level. So he puts down the controller and stands up to cheer for himself...but he's too out of shape and collapses back onto the couch, out of breath.

I'm not a psychologist, but I have a feeling that 'the I want it now' impulse is lots more primal than the 'I really shouldn't buy this because I can't afford it' impulse, and so, with just a little push from marketing, off to the stores we go...

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 17 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]350833[/snapback]</div>
    Can they pump out a million of any of those things in 6 months? I don't think they can or do.

Its always like this with consoles. They need to get out at a certain date and there are alwas things that hold up the process. I think on issue with the PS3 is the blu diodes used int he bluray player. If parts aren't available, they can't make enough of the product.

And if they released 1 million or even 2 million units for their launch, they'd likely sell them. It isn't a conspiracy like you think - its actually more likely hurting sony then helping them. If Sony was selling the initial units at $1500 a pop, I'd agree. But they make the same on them now as they will in 6 months. OTHER people are profiting on them more than Sony right now, so I don't see how limiting supply helps.

How many people won't be able to get a PS3, so they'll get a 360 instead? That doesn't help Sony. Not to mention, if they COULD produce more, wouldn't they launch in more countries?

And finally.. since they don't make money on the consoles, the more they have out there, the more people can buy the games, which they DO make money. Oh.. and lets not forget how much money they'll gain if bluray wins - the more PS3's in the market, the more their chances.

Still convinced its a consipiracy?

3. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alric @ Nov 17 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]350818[/snapback]</div>
    What I read today seems to indicate that they are aware of the loss but recognize that they will be selling many new games to go with the PS3 to more than make up for the loss.

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Note to self:

Put PS3 on ebay
    Buy more bullets

:eek:

6. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Read the news from people who know technical stuff.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArt...cleID=194400848

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArt...cleID=194400596

Sony is loosing money on PS3 consoles much like MS did last year when selling Xbox360s. However, now MS is making money on the consoles this year. On top of that they make $10-$15 per games from loyalty. Last year, Xbox 360 was delayed by high-speed memory (blame it on Infineon, only Samsung's chips were OK). This time, Sony is apparently hurt by blue-laser diode production. No consipiracy in both times. Just bad product planning from heavy time-pressure.

On games: initial games won't be as impressive. Not much different between Xbox360 and PS3. PS3 is based on highly parallel computing structure (IBM cell-processor). The games have to be written specifically for PS3. "Recompilation" or "porting" is not going to cut it. (like games of PC versus Xbox 360) Since PS3 has almost 3X the computing power than Xbox 360, you will see better games start to show up in one or two years for PS3. Again, this is assuming the game writers really put in effort to take full advantage of the immense computing power from parallel processing... which I doubt since games are produced on very tight schedule also. If the do, each game would be sold at $100 a piece (not $59). :eek:

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 17 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]351085[/snapback]</div>
    Well said. What we consider important here in the States is highly based on marketing. We have one of the most addictive societies in the World and there are lots of corporations looking to cash in on whatever obsession "need" they can tap into.

There are few things that I would stand in line for; voting, bathroom, giving blood (hell, I wouldn't even stand in line for the Vatican, too long, other things to see)!

I'm with Pinto Girl and Squid on this one. And as far as not making $$ goes, the news said the old games don't go with the new format so then you have to get new games...looks like $$ to me.

8. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rather than pay attention to arguments about market manipulation and/or the inherent difficulties of producing this particular gizmo, I keep finding myself returning to the theme of just how "spoiled" this country is (well, 80% of it), and how its priorities have shifted in my lifetime.

I'm gonna start a thread on "how spoiled ARE we?" if anyone wants to stop by.

9. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had a business like that once. I lost money on each unit but made up for it on volume......

HP does that with printers but with a twist. They nearly give some models away but charge you $35 for an ink cartridge. INK!!! Dirty water!

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 19 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]351749[/snapback]</div>
    And those $35 cartridges are good for about 50 pages. That's why I decided to buy a laser printer instead and use Kinkos or Kodak-dot-com for the two or three times a year when I need to print something in color.

What with war and global warming and poverty and GM killing the electric car, and all the other stuff going on, I just can't get worked up over whether or not Sony is manipulating the demand for a game computer. So the bozos are trampling each other to buy the thing? So what? People trample each other and get into eye-gouging, hair-pulling fights over 50%-off sales at clothing stores. A department store building in Spain actually collapsed from the surge of people stampeeding in to be first for a big sale. Country going to hell in a handbasket because people will pay a month's rent on a game? Surprised? I'm not surprised, when roughly a quarter of elligible voters actually voted for the shrub. Twice. The PS3 and surrounding bruhaha gets a big yawn from me. I play chess on my computer. I think I paid $30 or $40 for the program.

I've got news for the doomsayers: We've been rushing downhill as fast as our tiny feet could carry us for decades, if not centuries.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Nov 17 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]351237[/snapback]</div>
    I'm an electronics developer; this is the issue exactly. To beat the competition, you want to cram in all of the gee-whiz features and technology you can, but inevitably get hamstrung by product availability or technical issues. If you have plenty of time before launch, marketing would ask for a bunch of new features, and you're right back to an impossible schedule. It happens over and over.

Tom

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 20 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]352034[/snapback]</div>
    I'm STILL skeptical. What gets me most about this, is just how two of the arguably largest corporations on this planet, cannot line their ducks in such manner, and meet the demand for Xmas... "Product availability or technical issues"... Let's explore that for a moment, if you're a manufacturer of x part, and either win the bid, or through whatever means, get selected by either company, I would imagine, that would likely be your biggest "account", and you're going to do everything in your power to get your widgets out to them... Granted, your particular widget could be in just as high demand from other big name high tech companies, but we'll leave that aside for the moment... I could go on and on, but will say this, technical problems, or subversive pricing methodologies? Remember, these are companies with VAST resources they could easily have an army of actuaries work out every pricing game known to man, and THEN some... I'm still highly suspicious, particularly, particularly since the same precise thing happened to MSFT last year... It's just waaay too coincidental in my opinion, of course...

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To be realistic, Sony does this ALL THE TIME, and not just with PlayStations. Camcorders, XBR TVs, TVs in general, etc...

I don't know the reasons, but I do know that with "gotta have it" Sony products, the supply rarely meets the demand.

14. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Nov 17 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]350754[/snapback]</div>
    MS. This is soooo true, We have had people camping out for 2 days waiting to buy one of these and sell it on ebay... I was talking to a sales guy at best buy, he said the newest units are full of bugs. Als to floor demo model locks up every 30mins. and they have to reset the unit...

Give it 3 months and the price will drop and the bugs will be fixed.....

I'll keep my old xbox... I still have my Atari 3600, my PS1 & a Texas instriments learning game consoles...
    And to think when the Atari 3600 came out that was mac daddy.... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Nov 20 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]352157[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the PS3 need to be updated straight out of the box to version 1.1 to fix a couple of bugs...

17. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 17 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]350916[/snapback]</div>
    i was walking in the mall with my friend molly, and she was like staring at all these people with blankets on the side of the sidewalk waiting over-night for the PS3 to come out, and she goes 'How do all these homeless people have these Nintendo Gameboys, and all of these not-so-bad clothes?' and i said 'Mollz, they are waiting over night to get the playstation 3' she goes 'OH MY GOD, I want to like spit on them! what are they!' haha

18. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 17 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]351085[/snapback]</div>
    Yes...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 20 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]352012[/snapback]</div>
    And Yes...

America is a very addictive society. Businesses succeed in this country not only by providing products that we don't really need, but by making us think we need those products. Their advertising is designed to manipulate us to consciously or subconsciously feel like we must have their product. It's not the least bit out of the realm of possibility that Sony is manipulating the market to artificially create demand. Don't forget, Sony was the company that wrote a fake positive movie review for their own movies. You think they wouldn't try to manipulate the market? Of course they would. And as far as whether it makes sense for them to do it: You don't know how much they are actually spending on each unit, or how those numbers were created. Businesses do all kinds of things to make their numbers look a certain way. Even car companies love to "show you the invoice", as if that means something.

Vince

19. Wuisme

Wuisme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prefer the new Wii..... <_<

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Nov 17 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]351150[/snapback]</div>

Haha.. that guy reminds me of a wannabe trader in the game, Everquest; You'll see them buy the same item and try to resell it for a profit. Sometimes when they get their hands on something 'uber', they'll put it up for an insane price because they've seen someone else posting the same item for an insane price (doesn't mean they sold it!). His last 10 feedbacks are for Tickle-me Elmo's, and there's alternating buyer/seller feedback since he buys 'em and resells 'em. Doesn't make much of a profit either. I doubt he'll get the payday on the PS3 since it'll likely be 'bought' buy a fake bidder.