1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pleasantly surprised with 2017 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by LouG123, May 19, 2017.

1. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hello all -

While I've posted just a bit over the past year, I consider myself a new forum member and (hopefully) future owner.

I don't yet own a Prius, but this past week I had the need to drive from Chicago, IL to Bloomington, IL (around 300 miles roundtrip). For some reason I felt like searching for and found a Toyota dealer near me who rents cars. For $45 plus the cost of gas (LOL), I took out a 2017 Prius 2. I have to say that I was very much surprised at how much I enjoyed this car. Not being much of a CVT fan, I was also surprised at how much power delivery there is when on the highway between say 45-85 mph. On a 90 degree afternoon I was driving at 80+mph, AC on, and still averaged 57mpg. The car wasn't slug-like, I felt fairly comfortable (I'm 5'10, 205 lbs), and pretty much enjoyed myself. Upon returning the car it was only then that I noticed that I was driving an ECO model...!!!

I've been looking at the Prius since the 2016 remodel and I'm here to say that I'm starting to pay more attention to prices paid, deals, etc. I've been paying very close attention to both the thread discussing the installation of the OEM fog lights on the Four (w/ sunroof)as well as the suspension upgrade thread (I would add better front and rear sway bars), but I think I've decided to just negotiate on a Four Touring (make mine Blizzard Pearl w/ black interior please). I currently drive a 2015 Camry SE whose lease is on 6 month extension. It's fine and cheap, but it doesn't do much for me. I've wanted either a wagon or a hatchback for a while now, and I can tell that the Prius will easily swallow my 12 year old son's ice hockey bag.

My only concern at this point regards the front seats. Any chance those with the soft-tex find these to have more cushion than the Prius 2's cloth seats? I'd like to say I felt refreshed when standing up after 150 miles, but I can't. I'm hoping to get my wife into the dealership at the end of June. I'd like to use the same dealer from where we bought our (then new) 2014 Highlander Limited, but they've become much more difficult to deal with when talking price. I've purchased cars from as far away as Ft. Lauderdale, FL and Mississippi, so I'm not totally against the idea of making a deal via email and flying simply to drive home. Anyways, thanks for reading, and any insights or comments would be greatly appreciated.

RCO likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is not a Cone and Pulley CVT, so there is no slip. Electric motors have less lag than an internal combustion engine, so what oompf they have happens right now.

Montgomery, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re the seats - not the best feature of the PRIUS, though if you spend time fiddling with the right position, steering wheel adjustment, it gets reasonable - there are better seats out there.

The CVT isn't really a CVT at all in the sense of every other CVT which has a variable belt/pulley drive. PRIUS' Hybrid Synergy drive is often referred to by journalists as CVT, but TOYOTA refers to it as an eCVT (electronic continuously variable transmission).

Probably easiest to google "Hybrid_Synergy_Drive" and the WIKIPEDIA article explains it really well.

The ECO Model has the same engine/motor/drive as the rest of the Gen 4 PRIUS range, mainly narrower 15" wheels.

RCO likes this.
  4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Make sure you test drive the Touring models for better ride/handling quality, fog lights and Softex...

RCO, wrprice and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week in Detroit I had a rental 2016 Prius Two for seven days. Which I really liked, although unfortunately the 2016 Two didn't come with DRCC. I didn't make any really long drives, other than a one hundred mile round trip drive on Saturday to Point Pelee, which is the southern most point in Canada (except for a small island further south of there in Lake Erie). Although the seats had a somewhat thin feeling whenever I first got in, I didn't notice any discomfort. Although I wonder if aftermarket seats would be an option as a fallback in case after owning the car for a few months you begin to realize that you don't like the seats. Especially with the Two and other models that don't have power driver's seats it would seem that aftermarket seats would be something to consider.

And speaking of Canada, as soon as I crossed the border I started looking for the km/h switch, which on my Gen 2 is right next to the odometer switch. But on the Gen 4 I looked high and low, and I pulled over more than once to search through all of the menus and I even looked through the owner's manual, but I was short on daylight and I finally gave up and was forced to do a bunch of math in my head every time the speed limit changed as I went through various towns. I seem to remember a comment in another thread about this awhile back .

6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had a Prius 3 rental for 8 days, and will say that I prefer the adjustable power softex seat and lumbar support on my 4 touring. The wider 17 tires look great and corner nicely. Downside you will lose a few MPG, 4-8 mpg difference in my experience.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Anybody with 4th gen Touring also had opportunity to drive one with the 15" wheels? I'm curious how they would compare the two.

Must wait 24 seconds.

Must wait 7 seconds.