1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please advise me on buying a Gen3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MB31, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Gen2 was in a crash and after looking at everything available I end up wanting a Prius once again (only other remaining contestant would be Lexus CT200H but I like the size and pricing of the Prius more).

Depending on how far I stretch my budget it allows for a gen 3 between 2009 and 2013 with 65.000 to 125.000 miles in different configurations. I highly prefer a car that was maintained by the official Toyota dealer.

Questions that pop into my head are:
    • Year vs miles (I know a lot has been written about this). Are there big differences between the different years? Should I prefer the newer car with more miles?
    • Is there a good and clear list of the different versions and options?
    • I have an ODB reader but it doesn't work with the Hybrid assistant app. Should I get one to use when test driving a car to check the battery? Is it worth the costs (I would need one asap)?
    • Is there a list somewhere of typical Prius "problems" I should look for when testing the car?
    • Have there been recalls that I should be aware of?
    Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2009 was a great year, but 0f course, there were issues that can crop up on some.

2010-2013 are great cars, you just have to be aware of the egr problem.

would have to see specific examples to take a whack at them.

Bay Stater, Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  3. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There’s another site that points out there’s been TSBs issued by Toyota for excessive oil burning/consumption in 2010-2014 Prius. Unsure if the root cause is bad piston rings or poorly designed EGR circuit contributing to excessive heat OR some combination. Having noted this, I think there are many examples of folks getting 350k+ Kilometers out of their gen3 Prius....albeit sometimes with some extra TLC (tender loving care). So....what to do? If it were me, I’d probably opt for a low mileage 2009 - if I could find one. I do, however, like the styling significantly better on the gen3.....and if I HAD to have a gen3, I’d part with more $$ and get a lower mileage 2015 and service the EGR when needed AND keep my *fingers crossed* regarding oil consumption. My MY2013 was going through about a quart of oil in 10k miles - it had about 83k miles on it when it was totaled in an accident. That’s another thing - you should be sure to regularly check the oil level on any car. Good luck with your decision!

amos likes this.
  4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I believe I read elsewhere that Gen 3 cars were sold starting in 2009 in the Euro zone, so I would assume the oil burning issue would also apply to 2009 cars sold there. The OP may be looking for a MY 2008, if they want to stick with a Gen 2.

5. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn’t realize that- thanks for the correction!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was a revision to both the pistons and piston rings, from 2010~2015. Going by parts numbers at McGeorge Toyota, I cobbled together this:

upload_2018-10-31_12-36-50.png

And there's a couple of TSB's on excess oil consumption (attached), the remedy being to replace both pistons and rings with the 2015 version.

Attached Files:

amos likes this.
  7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the hybrid battery warranty in the Netherlands?

8. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good information- thanks! Not sure where, but, I read somewhere that the head gasket material was changed in this timeframe too.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    McGeorge Toyota shows the same part number for 2010 and 2015, so I think not.

10. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not exactly sure how to paste this..... did you happen to see the thread “2010-2012 Head Gasket failure analysis” here on Priuschat? The OP in that thread did a nice analysis..... he seems to think there was some coating change on the gasket and he found different Toyota part numbers over the years in question? I don’t know.... does Toyota ever delete failed parts (numbers) for previous years?

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure (of course), but my hunch is that any change in a part spec precipitates a new part number. Otherwise you'd have a mess.

The intake manifold did change, btw.

12. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

5 years OR 100.00 KM (62.500 miles) whichever comes first. It can be extended with another three years or up to 160.000 km. It would be safe to say I will not have any battery warranty.

That enplanes my confusion, thanks for clearing it up. Indeed I also see 2009 Gen2 models for sale, but I find them very expensive when compared to other cars from the same year with the same amount of miles. With 100.000 miles or less they go for almost 10.000 Euros. I am afraid to lose a lot of money on this.

So that is something to ask when buying the car from a Toyota dealer, to find out if any repairs have been done?

More €€ unfortunately is not an option.

If we are not comparing the reliability and risks of the different Prius generations but compare the Gen3 to other cars, how would that go? Is the Gen3 still a very good and reliable car? I do not NEED to have a Prius, not necessarily a hybrid even. I like it a lot but reliability and low cost of ownership are important to me. A 2011 Lexus CT200H would have the same problems as the Gen3 I guess? I have also looked into the Honda Insight which is a lot cheaper than the Prius, but also less of a car from what I have read…

13. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps looking at a Toyota Corolla with low mileage is a better choice for you. There are no EGR maintenance headaches, nor traction battery issues associated with it. A newer used Corolla will cost a lot less than a Prius.

Good luck with your car search. ;)

Jrlh likes this.
  14. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I thought about that, even did a test drive in one before buying my current Prius. I find the car too small and the ride/cockpit less comfortable.

Bay Stater likes this.
  15. Jrlh

Jrlh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As with all highly computerized cars, age is much more important than miles, depending of course on how the car has been maintained. That should always be anyone's first concern.

I purchased a super clean 2010 with 145k and it served us well for 60k, then it started hammering on start-up. Seems the 2010-2015 have a head gasket issue that can crop up usually from 130-200k. From what everyone says you have to pull the motor, to change the gasket, so people tend to just up-grade the motor. Problem is the Gen. 3 motors are 2k for a decent mileage one. another 1k for R&R.

In order to resolve my issue for the short term, I chose to try some blue devil in mine...(on advise of three mechanics) Well it fixed the head gasket leak alright, it also fixed the radiator, heater core, hoses, and reservoir! By fixed I mean stopped them up completely!!

Two weeks ago, I ended up having the entire works, (motor, Trans, struts, exhaust) swapped out of one with under 100k. 2,000 miles later, I smelt anti-freeze when starting it this morning. Needless to say even though I like the body style, options, and fuel economy, of the Gen3 ....I'm not very impressed with the serviceability nor the reliability of this model.

16. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 3rd gen Prius is very reliable, which is documented by Consumer Reports. Most of the trouble spot areas are still graded overall as above average in reliability. I'd stay away from a Prius that already had a battery replaced with an aftermarket one. If you're looking at a Prius, expect to replace the battery at the 10 year mark with an OEM one- so factor in because low cost of ownership is important.

Which year for the Honda Insight were you looking at?

Bay Stater likes this.
  17. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think if you can get a clean low mile early model year gen3 for a decent price that you should pull the trigger. Come to the forum with specifics on a certain car and we can steer you into the best price! Good luck and happy shopping!