1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please allow me to brag a bit more.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chris Wolfgram, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So I had said in that other post below "Sound system finished"

But I've been dialing in my DSP, and playing with my amp settings and geez, it's just hard for me to believe all this sound is coming from a Prius !

It's going to be fun to be sitting in the waiting lot (for rideshare) surrounded by Prius's (or is that, Prii ?) and the rest of them wondering, Wth did he put in that thing ? Nothing Bro's.... Look, it's all stock. It's the new special, Prius concert series sound system :) lol

Hey and one thing I wanted to add which I have been been happily surprised by; So it's Winter here in Nor Cal. Crappy, wet, and cold. So my HVAC system has definitely been running constantly, every time I'm stopped. And what I've found, is that even cranking my system up to moderately high levels, doesn't seem to have near as much effect on my battery, as does the fan at higher levels ?! In other words, with the fan cranked to 3/4's to full and the stereo very low or off, my car fires up to charge the battery like every 5 or 8 minutes....
    But with my fan very low or off, and beating on my stereo, it seems to go like 20 minutes before cycling on ? Hmmm. Okay. That's pretty comforting to know

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The engine needs to run more frequently to replace the heat extracted from the coolant by a faster-running blower, not the electricity required by the difference in fan motor speed.

Tideland Prius and dig4dirt like this.
  3. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Okay. Learn something every day :) But the important thing here, is that the HVAC system was designed this way, and apparently its totally acceptable to pull that kind of amperage.... Yet my stereo (amplifier) apparently pulls a lot less than that :) Makes me a lot more comfortable :) Also, BTW, playing it as loud as I have yet, with max bass output, I haven't seen the tiniest flicker, or dimming of lights. Granted, I was already told here on this forum, that I would not see dimming or flickering, as the power converter is a lot more solid than a conventional alternator :) Which is very cool !

4. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  5. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Lol :) I used to have one of those !

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  7. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hey but in all seriousness.... and I know nobody's asking, but....

Having so much control over the end sound coming out of the speakers, with the 31 band IQ, is kind of a two edged sword. It means it can be dialed in to nearly perfect sound ('perfect' to my own tastes of course) but geez is this tricky ! Been playing with it for a week, and slowly but surely forming it into a smooth, gentle curve. I think I'm on about my 15th saved preset :)

Now I'm trying to confirm my exact port tuning of the sub, so that I can use the variable subsonic filter to cut everything off from that frequency down, as everything below the port tuning frequency is out of phase, and just adds distortion + robs power.

Most of this is "possible" without a very expensive Real Time Analyzer.... Just a lot tougher.

I'm telling you though, I think there are exceedingly few Prius LE's out there that sound like this :) So happy with this setup :)

8. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    In all seriousness, unless you are listening to your great system only while you are parked, don't the tire, road, wind, traffic, Prius ICE, etc. noises while driving obviate anything that can be accomplished with great audio hardware?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That probably explains why several Gen 3 members added Dynamat with their audio upgrade. Not sure if Gen 4 owners are doing the same.

10. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Actually, doing ride share, I spend plenty of time sitting in the car, listening to my stereo, while not moving.
    But since you should mention it, I'll admit that the quieter a car is, the lower and cleaner the stereo system can be played.
    But I will guarantee you, that even in a car which we agree is not the quietest car out there, I can easily play it clean, and still loud enough that you will hear every sound there is to hear (with a good recording of course) and road / interior noise won't have a chance.

BTW, the system in my truck pulls so much juice, that even when I'm parked, I need to leave that big V8 running.... But it's so loud, sometimes I get worried... Like, "Wait... The truck is running right" ?
    In the truck, I can cover up nearly all road noise, on the freeway, with the windows down. The Prius is not quite like that, but probably sounds even better / more balanced

#10 Chris Wolfgram, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019