1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please change forum name to Prius PHV

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by 13Plug, Jul 26, 2012.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please change the forum name to what the car actually is. Thanks!

john1701a likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PHV is the official name, as clearly confirmed by the type listed on Toyota's website.

In Japan, they actually get a "PHV" emblem on the car itself.

Here, many people like the "PiP" shorthand reference. That doesn't exactly lend itself toward any type of plug-in identifier, similar to what HSD does now.

The confusion PIP causes baffles me as to why/how it still lives on. For many years, that's what we've been calling the units of measure on the fuel-guage.

Swanny likes this.
  3. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    PiP = Plug in Prius

Easy to type and with a context anyone knows what you are referring to.

This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

KK6PD and Paradox like this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not utilizing a naming standard is a problem in the waiting... especially when the audience expanded beyond the "anyone" currently reading this. Think about a vastly expanded audience, less informed, and years later.

Waiting to react is not a trait we embrace either. Consider all the other hybrid abbreviations of the past, didn't we learn anything from that?

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota was pretty clear with me it is Prius Plug-in Hybrid, even saying the P in Plug is capital while the i in -in is lower case. The Toyota website even says 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid.

I do not know John, I'm actually pretty content with calling it what it is now. I haven't seen much confusion actually. Now getting people to use a lower case v for Prius v, that's another story.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There won't be much confusion HERE, but we are contributing to inconsistencies elsewhere.

And what are those of us adhering to the standard being told/asked to do here?

Keep in mind package identification became a problem later, but was dismissed as a non-issue initially.

7. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I put in my order today, all dealership personnel referred to the car as the Prius PHV. Although it's not a big issue, I didn't think it would hurt to offer the suggestion ;)

I'll keep calling my new car a Prius PHV and you can call yours a Prius PIP OK LOL

I just looked at the Prius USA site. There seem to be a number of references to a Prius Plug-in Hybrid. So if you want to get technical, let's follow their wording and abbreviate on that. So it would be PPi or PPiH. LOL

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Knowing that some start their plug-in quest from Toyota, then proceed to search the web for the reference they first saw, it would be helpful to match that...

[​IMG]

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear phev, phv and pev? all confusing to me. volt, leaf, pip, i do not know.

10. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    For the newcomers, get used to the PiP in PC (Prius Chat), we all know at what we are referring to

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no problem with PHV but Danny's the admin lol.

The Plug In forum was meant for a discussing the PHV before its arrival. Technically, it could fold into the regular Prius forums. We're still in the process of deciding on the organisation of PC with the influx of new Prius models.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not really tideland, I named the plug in forum what it is once we knew the announced name here with the whole capital p thing etc I described above. Yeah if Danny wants PHV by all means but I've gone on record liking it the way it currently is, Plug-in Prius.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will never call the PIP the PHV for the same reason I will never call my HyCam a TCH - PIP and HyCam are far more fun, alliterative, engaging and descriptive than those other straight boring acronyms, IMHO. :)

KK6PD and bisco like this.
  14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If our audience was exclusively first-timers, that would work. But for those coming from or still on the outside, searches with "Prius PHV" will be much more likely and will obviously be more fruitful than "pip" or a "plug-in" prefix/suffix. So if you want threads & posts to be seen beyond the confines of the members here. So for the sake of adding value to the forums & threads...

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Toyota website use Prius plug-in. I would bet big bucks that most people looking for PIP info use plug in prius or prius plug in as their search term. Only the people here would even know that Toyota sometimes likes to use PHV.

16. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about we rename it Prius Plug-in PHV PIP? Would that make everyone happy LOL? I know search engines would like all the keywords in the forum name ;)

17. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought technically it is a PHEV?

Nexus 7 ? 2

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, it is only used by Toyota for the basic introduction. The rest is referred to by PHV.

Look at what the popular media does. Same thing. After the intro, it too is PHV.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We called it PHEV to start but Toyota shortened it to PHV when they started communicating with us (Prius Experts). It's because they preferred to call it a Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle as opposed to a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle since hybrids in today's world imply an electric portion.