1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please confirm if this is real hybrid battery problem!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by brianmars, Apr 4, 2017.

1. brianmars

brianmars New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius is my alternate car. It already has 140k miles on it. I usually only put an average of 100 miles per week on it. After it has been almost 5 months since the last service, suddenly one day the car did not start in a cold day. I'm in the east coast. I learned through little googling with the error I saw in the mfd that the 12v battery may need to be replaced soon. After many attempts, the car finally started and drove fine.

It has been running fine until last week, when I started feeling that the car is struggling to go in the up hill. The car would jump a bit when stopping at light. So I thought I will take the car for a service over the weekend to check whats going on. I was guessing it may be due to the weak 12v battery and also may need an engine oil change as it has been 6 months since last service, even thought I drove less than 3500 in it since last service.

The next day when I started the car in the evening for a drive to near by shop, I got a check engine light and I felt the car was struggling a bit to go. I wanted to take the car to service first thing in the morning.

In the morning, when I started the car, there were Red Triangle warning light, check engine light and orange exclamation light in the dashboard. Also there was a red car symbol with an exclamation mark inside the car in the mfd and the fan near the right side passenger seat was running load. I got freaked out as I was not sure what was happening. The car was running fine until last week except one time it did not start in the cold weather a month ago.

I took the car to the nearby mechanic shop to see the error code as I did not want to risk driving all the way to the dealer. There were 2 similar error codes, one said P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack "Confirmed" and another one P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack "Pending". Also the mechanic said the 12v battery is reading below 10 and needs to be replaced which I already knew.

I took the car back to my home and called dealer to check with them. They said the car Hybrid battery needs to replaced and quoted for 4200+tax, which is more than the price of my car at good condition today. It is totally frustrating and not sure why all in a sudden the car will give up like this. I have been taking good care of the car so far, and did all the services with the dealer.

Based on those series of events, does it look like the Hybrid battery needs to be replaced? Why there would be one error code with Confirmed status and another with Pending? Could the car struggles caused by the weak 12v battery? Should I try few things to see whether the car comes out of the problem before changing the Hybrid battery?

I'm really worried as this sounds like a big expense and would appreciate your valuable suggestions.
    Thanks in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes this is a hybrid battery symptom, you will need another battery.

Usually when you postpone needed repairs, they tend to multiply and affect other systems. Your 2 battery failures are probably due to the age of the batteries.

3. brianmars

brianmars New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for a quick response, really appreciate.I was thinking anyways the six month service is round the corner and thought of doing all together. Big lesson learned :(
    But does a 12v battery failure cause cascading effects like this in Prius? or it was a fluke that all happened one after another.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both these batteries failed with age. The hv battery probably was assisted by you not driving the car much, it got weak and out of balance and failed

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #5 TMR-JWAP, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You have some classic signs of hybrid battery failure. For instance, the fan running will not be caused by a low 12V. That's due to thermistors in the battery bank sensing excessive heat.

7. brianmars

brianmars New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really appreciate for the responses.
    I did not want to give it a lot of work, but did not know it will punish me for that!

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pending just means it is stored in memory. Many DTCs will not immediately trigger the lamp, on the first occurrence, but if it happens again on the very next start cycle, it will light the lamp. So..if you have one pending, it's waiting for the next start cycle to either clear itself, or trigger the lamp.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you didn't really do anything wrong, old batteries fail, it's a fact of life, or science, or something.

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tires, brakes, light bulbs, batteries... They're all wear items that need periodic replacement.

There are options on replacing the HV battery. The dealer will want about $4500 for a new one installed. If you DIY, you could get several more months (years?) with individual module replacement at $50+. If you could find a wrecked 2009 with lower mileage than your current car, it would make sense to me to buy the battery out of it. It would not make sense to buy one from another 2005 as it would probably be in the same condition as your current one.

There are 28 battery modules in the full pack, and they don't all go out at once. Many times it's just a few modules that cause the problems. So the least expensive fix is to replace just the failing modules. But that can turn into whack-a-mole as other modules show their age. The dealer isn't even going to offer individual module replacement because you'd be very unhappy if the next module failed shortly after he fixed the first one.

There is a fairly new product on the market called a grid charger. It's a $400 device that charges the battery in a way that extends its life. Use the search facility for "prolong" to find discussions about it. Mechanics who do a lot of business with hybrids are going to have to get this sort of device now that the batteries are failing in significant numbers.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome, Brian. Good answers above. I agree that the traction battery is almost for sure bad. And also, the 12V battery is absolutely a gonner at 10 volts.

I guess your decision is how much the 12 year old car is worth to you. I don't see any way it's worth the cost of a new battery from Toyota, but it might be worth a used or maybe even reconditioned battery. If you're handy, there are threads on replacing individual battery blocks. That would be the least expensive, but you won't get the best results without using the grid charger @RobH mentioned. Search for the treads on it. You can also read about it on Jeff's web site, Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive . In fact, if you're thinking of replacing battery components, you might think about getting the grid charger first and seeing what it does by itself. Some people have bought time just doing a full reconditioning with the Prolong. You'll want to get the discharger, too, to do it right.

To be honest, though, if you can afford to trade it in or sell it as is, at that age, I'd be wanting something newer anyway. My '05 was needing about $3,000 worth of repairs (not battery related) and that's what I did. So far, I like the results.