1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Michael Bones

Michael Bones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can you folks please confirm something for me. I have been having ongoing problems with a guy who keeps rebuilding my gen2 battery. The last time I got a P0A80 / P3015 code which turned out to be block 5 getting hot thereby also resulting in the hybrid battery cooling fan coming on like mad. He said he put a complete different battery in and gave me another 6 month warranty. Now here we are at 2.5 months and as I'm doing my ride share business yesterday the triangle of death pops up and the cooling fan comes on again. Ughhhh
    I hooked up my Torque Pro app and diagnostic connector and the only code was P3014. I'm assuming that this means that there is now a problem with block 4. I do have the PIDs set up to look at the individual blocks and the first time there was definitely a lower voltage reading on block 5 by 1.4v. This time the voltage looks stable across all blocks. I know this is not the most technical way of looking at things but in my limited knowledge of this situation can I assume that there is some resistance in the block 4 loop that is causing the battery ECU to think that the battery is overheating thereby kicking on the cooling fan as well?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like your "guy" is dealing in rebuilt batteries......where ONLY the currently failing cells are replaced........and all of the other old ones are left in place.
    Then another one of the old ones fails.
    And then another.
    And then another.

If that is the kind of rebuilt batteries you are getting, the results you are seeing is pretty much normal.
    Sorry.

3. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am sure other members with deep understanding of the hybrid batteries will explain the reason but I had exactly the same results between two readings with my techstream when one cell in one of my modules went bad. I had a local rebuilder replace the module, clean the connections and discharge/recharge each of the 28 modules 3 to 4 times until their capacity was above 4700. So far so good, 7000 miles and 5 months.

I would really want to know how many miles others have been able to put since their rebuild.

#3 Aegean, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mr Bones.....I've never seen a P30XX code be a liar when it comes to the HV battery.

When your HV battery was brand new, you could think of it as 28 energizer bunny "D cell" batteries lined up end to end in a flashlight. All nice and new and each one of those batteries very close to the others in capacity.

Now, here it is years later after thousands of discharges and charges. Those 28 batteries are now like 7 "D", 7 "C", 7 "AA", 5 "AAA" and 2 watch batteries all lined up in a flashlight. Some still have considerable capacity, some have very little, but they all still register a good voltage when checked. What happens when you turn on the flashlight? Those little watch batteries just drain right down and throw a code. Well, those are the batteries that the "repair" guy on craigslist replaces. And even then, he probably only replaces the one he sees that has a bad voltage. What about the other watch battery? That one bites you in the A** a month later. And then one of the AAA batteries gets you, and so on and so on...

That's why it's extremely important for a rebuilt battery to actually have all the modules thoroughly capacity tested and load tested. That way a complete battery can be assembled with all "D" or all "C" batteries. The AA and AAA and watch batteries get tossed in the trash for recycling.

donbright likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to Whack-A-Mole!

wam.png

You don't have ongoing problems with the work being done because the work being done will produce exactly the results you are seeing.

You are LUCKY that the guy even came back! Most just change phone numbers with a burner phone. Now who you gonna call? Think of it this way... Most to all of the packs that this guy replaces (1 day lets say) are going to have this problem in 1-6 months. So everytime he replaces a pack, either it has to be done so it outlasts the warranty ($$$$) or he comes back and "fixes" it again. There comes a point when you are no longer fixing new people's cars, you are just doing warranted work. I would highly doubt if he is insured for this, meaning every minute he spends fixing your pack, is a dollar he is losing. In your other thread you said it cost you $950 or something for the pack. So every time he is working on your pack for free, it is costing him $950 from another sucker.

When the tipping point comes, he will vanish into thin air. Most likely pop back up in another city or with another phone number or as an "independent mechanic" working for another brand new shop. "Yeah the other guy I worked for was shady..."

Your options are (1) Buy a new battery pack or (2) junk the car.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Michael Bones

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Actually I hear your
    Actually I hear where you are coming from but.....and this is a BIG but. This guy is a childhood friend of my roommate. He busts his nice person and he has never ignored my calls. My roommate swears by him and he is actually in a band with the guy so he is not going anywhere. I have been to his home and met his wife and kids many times. I have seen his whole operation and he only works on hybrids. Everything from batteries to complete engine swaps. I do believe he is trying his best and I also see him constantly educating himself. On the original rebuild he normally charges $1200.00 but he did it for me for $950.00 and that included a 18 month warranty. It was when the transmission fried (P0AA6) that he told me that it took out the battery. He did a trans swap and fixed the battery at that time. Like I said....I believe he is trying real hard but is just having bad luck with me. I have been in the automotive repair industry for 34 years. Just nothing hybrid. I have a pretty good feel for the sketchy guys..

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well that's good. But it doesn't matter how hard he tries. We have reached and passed the point in time where rebuilt batteries from little mechanics were a reliable option. There are no longer enough good sources of batteries with low miles and new enough to use. This wasn't true in 2010. It's true now. To even start doing an OK job with a rebuild today you will need hundreds of modules, preferably tens of thousands to match into a pack of 28 similar ones. You will need lots of equipment and time.

There are those on this forum that do nothing but rebuilds and they take meticulous readings of their batteries coming in and have basements full of spare batteries waiting to assemble into a pack. Always charging and balancing. That's your best bet for a rebuild. Even large companies with millions of dollars of equipment like Dorman can't make a good rebuilt battery today. It just isn't physically possible anymore.

It's time you get a new battery before you wreck this childhood friendship. The battery won't get better. The rebuild quality won't improve. Cut your losses and buy a new pack.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Great analogy!!! Don't be surprised if I use it. ;) That should really help newbies understand their situation.

A new battery is the best option for those folks who count on their car to put bread on the table and/or need the best reliability. (y)

9. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OR.....it could be that he is following some BAD advice from others who are not necessarily well versed in what they are preaching.
    Have you asked him if he is putting all new cells in his "rebuilt" batteries ?
    And where those cells come from ??

10. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    just curious... what temperature is Torque showing for sensors 1 2 3 and HV air intake? i mean, when the fan kicks on?

11. Michael Bones

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It is actually amazing that you say this. I was watching the guys go to work pulling my old battery out and installing another rebuild today. I was just talking with the guy and he pretty much said exactly what you are saying. He said that he has to go through hundreds of cells to find ones that are good enough to use in a rebuild. He also stated that the core bank is completely depleted in the industry. Then he told me about the Dorman issue as well and the conflict with yellow cab because they were using Dorman as their supplier. Dorman apparently is not honoring their 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. He told me that it is quite a problem. What do you guys think that the company Green Bean is doing with their $1570.00 installed lifetime warranty Gen 2 battery? I was talking with them today and they sound quite confident that theirs will go the long run but honestly it sounds to good to be true.

12. Michael Bones

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I couldn't tell you to be honest. I already have a replacement battery installed. All I can say is that the fan came on at the exact moment the P3014 code was tossed.

13. Michael Bones

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They are not new cells. He travels all over the state and even out of state buying every battery he can get his hands on. He told me that he has a new machine that is more strict on the calibration and it takes a longer time to find acceptable cells. He said that the cell recovery rate is about 25% out of a salvaged pack. He said it is just a matter of a short time before the industry core bank is complete garbage for gen 2 at all. Does anybody know what the cost is for new OEM cells to complete a pack these days? A few companies I've seen say they use new cells but the cost for their rebuild is about $2200.00 I believe.

14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And right THERE is the key to this whole discussion.
    The "good" ones he finds are still OLD.
    And there actually is no good way to determine how "good" they are.

There are places that will rebuild your "core" with all new cells and for about the same price or a little more.
    And the odds of having repeated hassles with "warranty" claims are WAY lower.
    Had you known that in the beginning, would you have paid a bit more......or spent more time searching out different providers ??