1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please explain HOW to block the grill

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PriusRos, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the traditional PriusChat "compression" method, you either:

1. Use 1/2" size round pipe insulation and "compress" (i.e., squeeze) the whole, round, tubular, insulation foam into each grille slot. Or,

2. Use 1" size round pipe insulation, and cut it in half lengthwise to create two lengths of C shaped insulation. Then you "compress"/squeeze/fold the foam lengthwise so that the C becomes a V and you shove the foam into a grille slot with the points of the Vs pointing to the grille.

I used this method #2.

But in my case, instead of starting with 1" size round pipe insulation, I started with the much smaller 3/8" size because I had bought that size by mistake.

Then I cut each 3/8" size of insulation in half lengthwise to create those two lengths of C shaped insulation.

Then, because the insulation foam is 36" long and longer than the grille slots, I would first center a foam piece, squeeze it until the C turned into a V with the points of the V pointing toward the grille, and shove the foam into the center area.

Then I would squeeze in one side from the center, and then squeeze in the other side.

Finally, for the top grille slots, I would cut the ends to fit.

But for the bottom grille slots I would bend/tuck in the excess at each end behind those panels where the foglights would have been if I had foglights, creating that \_/ effect like the top grille slats of the Honda Insight and other cars.

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And here's TonyPSchaefer's original post and pics using the same process (more or less) except he used 1" pipe insulation and his Gen II has foglights: