1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please explain why so many tint windows.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Jessica and Ron Mintz, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Jessica and Ron Mintz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there. Pretty certain we will be purchasing Prius V (three) in the next couple of weeks. So many here say that they tint their windows. Can anyone explain why and what is the best quality way to do this. Thanks so much.

2. DoPeY5007

DoPeY5007 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why? It looks better and it is healthier for you. (Blocks UV) also keep the car cooler inside.

Best is to take it to a pro, mine has lifetime warranty, so if it bubbles I take it back and they replace it.

3. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Until I purchased my 2011 Prius, I had never owned a car with tint film on the windows. I probably still wouldn't if the 2011 hadn't come with the windows already tinted. We liked it so much that within a month I took our 2011 Rogue to a professional shop and had it's windows tinted. Now I wouldn't want one without it.

4. Jessica and Ron Mintz

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    What type of shop does this type of work? What do I look for? From what I understand, states have laws as to how much tint one can have. Is there a rule of thumb as to what is helpful? Thanks all.

5. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took the Rogue to a shop that specializes in window tinting and car alarms. It was recommended to me by a neighbor who had a couple of cars done there. That shop does a lot of new cars for dealers. In Oklahoma the maximum legal tint is 35% so that is what I went with. I took the Prius there first and showed it to them and said that I wanted the same tint on the Rogue. The owner said that it was 35%, so that is what the other car got.

A lot of people go with 50%, but it isn't actually legal in our state.

6. DoPeY5007

DoPeY5007 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Each state is different on laws. The back doors and windows can go as dark as you want (you can even spray paint them black if you really wanted) Most states do not allow any on the front doors, but as long as you go light on them, most police will not pull you over for it.

7. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    mine was done by southeast toyota, when i ordered the car.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Each state is different. U will have to research what the law is in ur state.

I'm in Cali so by law we cannot have any tint on the front doors but as stated above......if u go with a light tint, "MOST" cops won't bother u.

I put 5% on the back & 35% on the front.

[​IMG]

9. Megan2044

Megan2044 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think tint is probably more common in warm weather states. Not required, more of a preferrence.

10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This site has a summary of tint laws by state.

If you can read tiny text that's light gray on dark gray, this site has a one-page summary for all states.

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Southern states with high uv and air conditioning make maximum use of high performance heat reducing window films. They work in the same way a low-e window in your house rejects heat. A good window film is an easy add-on and rejects most UV cancer causing radiation and almost all of the Infrared heat radiation generated from direct sun exposure.

The good films don't need a high "tint" number (such as 50% visible light blocking) to work, although some visible light reduction is desired by most. In fact there are nearly clear Crystalline films that work great without reducing much light, which is important at night on the front side windows so you can see oncoming vehicles and people. Down south we usually get it from the dealer (higher cost) or from one of many tint/audio shops (at usually 2/3 the price). Just buy one of the better name brand films and expect to pay around $200. Cheap tint doesn't work and turns purple over time. Installing film seamlessly without bubbles is the trick and most of what you pay for. If you are up north and can't get a tan no matter what you do outside, forget it and absorb the vitamin D instead. We get enough D by just walking to and from the car.

From 3m Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

ursle and Megan2044 like this.
  12. captnslur

captnslur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Why would anyone think it "looks better" to make one's car less safe at night. Cut night visibility by 35% and make night driving even more dangerous just to reduce sunshine in the afternoon? Doesn't seem like a reasonable trade off to me. Use the AC, that's what it's for and be able to see out better at night.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My guess is that you have never even been in a car with tint, much less driven one. Also, spend some time in the South before making such remarks.

I have tint on my side and back windows on my car but my wife's car does not. The tint on my car does not create safety issue at night.

Where did you get your information on this?

REW and tlkcpa13 like this.
  14. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you go really dark then it can reduce night visibility. However, you have to go well into the illegal zone in most states for that to happen. On a previous car I had 35% all around (not the windshield obviously) and I thought it was perfect.

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you are fair skinned and drive a fair amount, skin cancers can be reduced. You might save a child or a dog and will certainly save the interior from some of the tremendous heat buildup.

16. mcmoyer

mcmoyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's a good brand, just don't buy the "dyed" version. Installation is simplified a little because of the precut, but you still have to take off some moldings to do it right. Ebay also sells these kits.

18. mcmoyer

mcmoyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    thanks. It's awfully tempting to do something like this, but I've never tinted my own windows before and would really hate to mess it up

19. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As others have already stated unless you go really dark like limo tint (5%) It really doesn't affect night driving. I currently have 35% tint all around as is legal in MA and wish I had gone to 20% like I had on my escape. It actually helps with headlight glare quite a bit if you don't have an auto dimming mirror.

And as stated it helps keep the interior cooler, to the point I was considering getting the Llumar air80 put on the front windshield (not legal in MA) since after the other windows were tinted it was much more noticeable how much heat was radiating through the windshield.

mcmoyer - if you DIY just make sure to have really clean windows and take your time, luckily I don't think the v has any curved windows. I tried to tint my first car in high school and it had a slight curve to the rear window (not one of my better moments). The worst thing is seeing cars with the purple windows (degraded dyed film) or with a lot of bubbles. Good luck, I think having tinted windows especially in Tx is worth your time.

Jessica and Ron Mintz - as for places to go it depends where you live, there are good places recommended if your in So Cali, or i can recommend if your in the Boston area, aside from that check yelp, and check out the other car type forums from google (i found some BMW and corvette forums that talked about tinting in the Boston area) to find something local to you. I ended up going to a place that only does tint and have been in business for a long time. Good Luck

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    UV blockade is a poor reason to tint a car, since Prius glass already blocks 99%
    Visible light and infra-red blockade are why we spend the money.