1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help.........2015 Prius base tail lights not working

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ray dice, Dec 14, 2022.

1. ray dice

ray dice New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am mainly a Benz guy, but my daughter returned from college with a 2015 Prius base. All of a sudden, the tail lights do not work. And of course, it had to be me who was stopped by a State Trooper for the failure.
    1- I checked the fuse first ( under steering wheel) and even though it looked fine, I replaced it. Secondly, I checked the bulbs and they seem to be ok. Swapped the tail light and brake light bulbs out and still not working. Then I noticed that the license plate lights are not working.
    Power seems to be available through the harness ( checked each terminal in the main connector for the light unit for power and they all show power. Obviously, the ground is good since it is for all of the lights in the assembly.
    Now I am stuck so I have a couple of thoughts.....
    1- I assume the fuse is strictly for the tail lights and license plate lights but is there another link somewhere that may be bad?
    2- since it would seem highly unlikely for both rear light units to fail without cause where would I start in backtracking the wiring.
    It frustrates me greatly because I have learned to do all on the maintenance on both Benzes -including servicing the infamous "no service for life" trans and even replaced solenoids in those as well as a VW Passat, so it is not like I am a total newbie, lol.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Coach Ray

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean you swapped the taillights and brake lights? The plugs? Whole Harness?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Of course I'm going to say you have brake lights and reverse lights Is this correct All you have is no tail marker lights you have turn signals? Sometimes running regular incandescent bulbs can overheat the gray plastic bulb holders that screw into the car for the tail lights and the turn signals at least that's the way it is on my '09 I think My turn signals and my markers I can change the LED brake lights is nothing you can well they're real pain to work with.

4. ray dice

ray dice New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the info. But basically, none of the bulbs had been changed from what they were initially. They just stopped working. The simple fact that the tail lights and license plate lights all stopped at the same time leads me to believe that it had to be some kind of connector or fuse. But then again, when I check the sockets coming from the harness they all show that they are receiving power. That is why this is so confounding for me. I know any type of electrical problem is difficult to find, but this one has my confused, lol.

#4 ray dice, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2022
  5. ray dice

ray dice New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Tideland Prius- What I meant is that got another light assembly from the parts yard and it had the same results. Brake lights work, turn signal worked but no tail lights. And then , the issues with the license plate lights exists. It would be beyond reason to believe that all of those 3 assemblies would just go bad at the same time.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah that would be beyond reason for sure but all you do not have is tail lights and the plate lights brake lights and turn signals work?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh I see. That makes more sense.

However, on the Gen 3, the taillights and brake lights are the same LED lights so you’re saying the LED bulbs work since the brake lights come on but somehow the signal for taillights don’t come through?