1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help!!! Cant get to shift into reverse or drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by buyvolvo, Mar 2, 2012.

1. buyvolvo

buyvolvo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok first off I am a used car dealer and have sold 20 plus gen IIs and never had to replace the main Hybrid battery pack... until this one! after i replaced it with a used one every thing seemed to be fine, I drove the car for a while the check engine light went off(the reason we knew the battery pack was bad) and after a few miles of driving the red triangle light went off.. yea! I think im done so we put all the carpet and rear seats back in and i get in it to start it and put it on the lot and it will not go into gear or start. all the dash lights come on and will go into neutral when i push the brake but just will not go into drive or neutral.
    Here are some things we already tried:
    1. put the original battery back in the car- no change
    2. put our jump box to the small battery-no change
    3. checked the brake lights they are coming on when i push the brake
    4. put the scanner on the obdII- no codes

The car is an 06 with 200k miles in very good shape.

Could it be in the shifter and not related to the battery change out?
    Any help would be Greatly Appreciated( I dont want to have to have it towed to the dealer but at this point I dont know what else to do and I will try any suggestions.

Thank You-Hubert Keller, Kellers Auto Sales

2. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Change out the 12V if it is original.

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What you are describing is interesting. It sounds like you did not disconnect 12V power as part of the job. How else to retain the red triangle that then goes away during the test drive? Then perhaps you disconnected 12V power later and got confused when it didn't start right up? At any rate, one feature of disconnecting 12V power is that it takes two pushing of the power button with foot on brake to start the car. The first push goes to Ig On (Key on, system off), and leaves the car in the state you describe, dash lights on, only goes to Neutral. It is possible that this created a red herring that you are now chasing down.

Actually, here are the main problems following hybrid battery replacement:

1. Orange service plug not installed correctly. Handle travels 90 degrees to vertical, then must be pushed down about an inch.
    2. 12V battery runs down in the process, if not disconnected, due to having doors open.
    3. Not pushing the power button twice with foot on brake to start the first time after 12V power is reconnected.

Check the terminal voltage on your 12V as well. A jump box may not raise bus voltage high enough if the 12V has a blown cell (reads about 10.4V)

1 person likes this.
  4. buyvolvo

buyvolvo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never did disconect the 12volt battery when i changed out the pack So i will do that and check the battery voltage. I know the orange service plug was installed corectly. Thanks for your help on this I really apreciate it!