1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help - dead 12v battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MotorisedRollinghams, Feb 2, 2018.

1. MotorisedRollinghams

MotorisedRollinghams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a 2004 Prius from a dealer. This is the first car I have ever owned. I drove it from the dealer to our home yesterday where it is now parked.

Today, I when out to look at it I found that the central locking didn't work and after some googling I opened the door with the metal key inside the fob.

Once inside, the car won't start. I suspect the 12v battery is dead, possibly because something was draining it. I had put a usb charger into the cigarette lighter socket in the central console. Secondly, I noticed that I had set the dome light switch to "DOOR".

What now? What might have caused it? One complicating factor is that I don't know anyone else who owns a car so there is no one I can ask for a jumpstart (if that's even what I need).

Thanks in advance.

RCO likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.
    Before we can give intelligent direction, it would be helpful to know what country or state you are located in. There are many Londons around the world

London (disambiguation) - Wikipedia

3. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Raytheeagle is a good source of information. @RCO and @hkmb are a couple of UK users.
    I have tagged them so they will see this thread.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear about your troubles:(.

Can you help us with some details:

• Did the Prius sit on the dealers lot for a period of time?
    • Prior to driving home, did the dealer jump the car or have it “running and ready” for you to take home?
    • How far is the dealer from your home?
    • Do you have access to a jump pack?
    History on Prius chat suggests the car sat for a bit and the battery went flat. The dealer most likely jumped it to get it running.

IMO you’ll need a new 12v battery.

Keep us posted (y).

kenoarto and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @MotorisedRollinghams : Measure the voltage with a digital multimeter, post what you get. Also, just to eliminate variables, disconnect any chargers, and set the interior lights fully off (verify there's no lights showing when all the doors are closed).

Hah: that's how ours was, when we came for a test drive. It was "new", and apparently had been sitting on their lot for ~15 months.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You could call the dealer up and see what they say. I don't know the laws in the UK but there are some laws in the US that allow a car to be returned in a three day period. I know you don't want to return your car but if you have a similar law it may be a bargaining chip to motivate them to help you.

If you don't have anyone to jump you it sounds like you need to invest in a battery charger or a jump pack. If you are not near an electrical outlet the jump pack is best.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't know how long the car sat on the dealers lot. I would say at least a month, over the Christmas period.

I didn't see the dealer jumpstart the car and it wasn't running when I got there (though they did know what time I was coming).

The dealer is about a 45 minute drive or a 90 minute ride on public transport.

I don't have a jump pack. I could order one from Amazon - this one looks like the right thing:

I don't have a digital multimeter either I'm afraid.

I paid by credit card. There are some rights in the UK when you've bought from a dealer:

The second-hand car I bought has a problem, what are my rights?

I can give them a ring tomorrow morning and try to make them drive in and fix the problem. Better yet, maybe I can convince them that the 12v battery needs to be replaced, though it seems like the Prius doesn't use the normal kind.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Multimeters are fairly cheap now, around $20 would you get a basic one.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume they are available inexpensively in the UK too.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cheapie:

upload_2018-2-2_11-58-7.png

Would pay for itself, just sorting out the status of all the odds-and-ends batteries rattling around in the tool drawer.

#11 Mendel Leisk, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    padroo, Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope you were given two (2) FOBs for this vehicle, if not that should be the first item on the dealers list.

If you have no luck with having your 12v battery replaced by the dealer, you may want to read up and or go down this road.

Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat. Don't know much about your model, but the American members will have lots of advice and useful information.

14. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again for all of the responses. Here's an update:

I've spoken to the dealer. He says that the battery worked fine when he had it. ("Well he would say that, wouldn't he?").

I've found a multi-meter deep in the attic, but it doesn't have banana clips. Shops that sell those open Monday so I'll go and get some then. That will allow me to test whether the battery is dead or not.

I've ordered a jump kit online with express delivery. This one:

My plan is to jump it using the fuse box section under the bonnet (though the battery itself is apparently in the rear).

I'll try that tomorrow (Sunday) and see if we can still go on the day trip my wife and I were planning on.

I happen to have a warranty. It's not clear whether this covers a replacement of the 12v battery. The dealer expressed doubt on the phone. Can't start working on that one until Monday as well due to phone lines being closed.

My current plan in short: jump it tomorrow AM, drive it the 1 hour journey for the day trip. See if I have to jump start it again at the other end. If I do end up having to get the battery replaced, I'll try and claim it on the warranty but if I fail I'll try to do a partial chargeback against the dealer for the cost of it.

Please let me know if this sounds like a good idea! I'm don't have any experience with cars and one of the quirks of my local area is that very few people own and drive cars so you are all coming in really handy.

RCO likes this.
  15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many keys to this vehicle did the dealer offer you?

If only one key fob, don't lose it. You'll be bleeding stones, not pounds.

Thought a multi-meter is handy, you can also try one of these built in voltage tests:

Entering Maintenance Mode (aka 12V Battery Check) without Switching Headlights ON/OFF | PriusChat

Be sure to do this battery check after the vehicle has sat unused for sometime (overnight?).
    Quoting from the link you provided:

But if you buy a second-hand car in the UK that was not described as being in excellent condition or good working order, and it breaks soon after you buy it, you don't have any right to reject it or to claim compensation.

Second-hand car warranties
    If you bought a warranty, or your second-hand car came with a guarantee, you may be able to claim on that to get any problems fixed.

However, having a warranty does not affect your legal rights. You could still either reject the car or claim against the dealer under the Consumer Rights Act (if you bought it after 01 October 2015)

Bought with a credit card

If you bought your car with a credit card, you can also claim against the credit company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Those with debit cards may be able to claim through the chargeback scheme.​

16. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I do have two fobs, both work (or at least, they did before the battery was dead :)).

It's true, I do have a lot of rights. At this point things are a little unclear because it could be my fault - if I'd left the dome light on or something. I don't think I did but I don't think I can really rule that out until I know the problem recurs even when I've turned everything off. Being able to use the multimeter should narrow it down a lot too - if the voltage is low then I think my case will be clear cut.

Thanks a lot for the links to how to test the voltage in maintainance mode. All this stuff really helps and is really appreciated. I would be totally at sea if you weren't responding!

RCO, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time you get the car running (or jumped), and after using it (or not), leave it in Park with the "e-brake on" while in 'Ready' mode for 6 to 8 hours and see if that charges up the battery enough for the time being. Make sure you have a few imperial gallons in the tank and be sure to turn off any accessories (heater, fan, etc) and lights.

RCO likes this.
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It looks like you have a plan and you know your rights, keep us informed please and good luck.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FYI "e-brake" is the parking brake.

RCO likes this.
  20. MotorisedRollinghams

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately this won't be possible for me. The only place I have to park this thing is on a the street outside my flat in Central London. Apart from the danger of someone stealing it I'll probably get fined if I do this because of the rules about emissions and engine idling here.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.