1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PLEASE HELP! Home Charging Options for Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Edward.Howard, Nov 18, 2016.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's a wealth of information available from smart-chargers. I held off getting a level-2 so I could take advantage of what they have to offer.

In the meantime, I've installed a Wi-Fi thermostat and a Wi-Fi garage-door opener. Neither are necessary. But both sure are nice to have.

2. lroki

lroki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Prime comes with Entune that sends an email when charging is complete, even when at home on 110V. Some other nice features on the software too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. jmarkd7

jmarkd7 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Dumb question maybe, but is it possible to just get an adapter for the included cable and plug it into a dryer/stove plug? What is the downside? It's on a circuit. I don't understand the necessity of a charging station.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what you're asking here.

1) the included evse cable is designed to work at 120 volts and plugs into a standard 120v outlet. (preferably dedicated, but not absolutely necessary)

2) you cannot 'get an adapter' to plug it into a dryer or other 240v outlet.

3) you can have the cable upgraded by a private company for under $300., which will allow you to plug it into a 240v outlet and charge the same amount as a standard L2 evse, cutting your charge time in half. and you can still use it on 120v as it was originally intended.

4) a charging 'station' is really a misnomer. it is simply a 240v version of the cable that comes with the car. although they come in many flavors and features, they basically do the same job of cutting charge time in half.

#24 bisco, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Dragon Rider and jmarkd7 like this.
  5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Note that the modified version of the standard cord gets you 240V at 12A while a dedicated 240V cord gets you 240V at 16A which more than doubles charge speed from 5.5 hours to 2 hours.

Trollbait and jmarkd7 like this.
  6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree with bisco. Do not plug your portable EVSE to voltage mains it is not designed to.
    One addition:
    Charging station is a EVSE that is permanently connected to mains supply and is not portable. The advantage of it is the elimination of the socket/plug connection which can be the weak safety link in the chain.
    IEC (International Electromechanical Commission) calls the portable EVSE mode 2 charging and the charging station mode 3 charging.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  7. jmarkd7

jmarkd7 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks! I guess I am used to dual voltage TVs, laptops, iPhones, electronics from living in Germany a few years. Didn't realize the Prime cable wasn't dual voltage.

I also didn't get the "charging station" name, makes sense now that you explain it's just a cord hooked up to a 220V (or 240) circuit. In that case may as well get a $300 "charging station" vs. a dual voltage cord which costs $500-600 TurboCord EV Charger – AeroVironment, Inc. Online Store

Been using 110 at home for the 3 days I've owned my Prime (my first hybrid).

bisco likes this.
  8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This was true for the PiP, not sure about the Prime.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I assume that's because the stock cord is rated for 12A - the conductors, the electronics pathways, etc. so they don't change the programming to allow the car to draw more.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That could well be, let's wait to see what they are coming with.
    Anyways, with today prices of fixed installations it may be best to leave the stock cable for opportunity charging (which is BTW what is now recommended by the EU directive).

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think fixed installations are quite outrageously expensive, especially since it's basically just a cord and a connector while the charger is in the car.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  12. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    In home fixed installations I meant charging station which is a mode 3 EVSE, in those the charging cable is usually fixed to the station and is part of it.
    Cables for connection to public charging stations (also mode 3) are only passive cables and you are right, their prices are too expensive due to the connectors.

13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know. They should be on the order of $100. But they tend to be 6 to 50 times that amount.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  14. lroki

lroki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Leviton has a charging "station" they call Evr-Green Mini. No wall mounting, just plug it into a 30 Amp, 250 volt receptacle. Full retail is $500, but it's at Amazon for $400 and at the big orange hardware store for the same price.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  15. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know. Putting one of those in would cost me around $600 if I do the work myself, and that's with a 30A outlet within 3 feet of my garage. I'd have to cover where it is now, extend it to the garage, install a box in the garage, install a receptacle in the box, and then build a 25 foot NEMA 6-30 extension cord from where that box would be to where that measly 12 foot cord would reach.

17. lroki

lroki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Trade offs: I calculated that it costs me only 45 cents for a full charge. I don't know if there are any rebates or credits available too.

What are the considerations in deciding between 30 Amp and 40 Amp chargers besides their large difference in the cost?

18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It comes with a 120V charger that will also do the job.

Since the Prime will only draw 16A, there's no point to more than that unless you plan to get a BEV later.

Db17 likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the J-1772 plug and 25' cord were half the cost of my $500. diy L2 4 years ago. the other half was the nema box, circuit boards and wall plug. it's unfortunate that prices haven't dropped that much in 4 years, but hard goods never drop like soft.
    but the good thing is that you can upgrade the circuit board, without buying new hard goods, to a certain extent if you go to a larger ev down the road. mine is 30a, so should work for awhile, although if i go with bolt, probably not.

20. lroki

lroki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I currently use the 120V cable at home. There are ChargePoint and Clipper charging stations at work.

I didn't know about the 16A draw of the Prime. Good to know in selecting a home charger. Thanks.