1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help identify this frayed wire

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ramirezja, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ramirezja

Ramirezja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Changed the oil today and found this little bit of a mess. Surely someone in this group has an idea of what wiring this is. I did some looking around and i couldn't find it myself.

I also noticed that after i tried to "tighten them up", i now have a P0016 error code coming up. I image this somehow connected to the frayed wires.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The wire on the display, is the A/F sensor(air fuel sensor), or oxygen sensor.

That's like the oxygen sensor harness.

What has happened was that, the tiny plastic clip, holding the wire harness to the engine block, has fallen apart, and that has made the harness to make such a contact on the hot exhaust.

You'd have to repair that wire, if you want to reuse the oxygen sensor as it is, or you could get a new sensor. The new sensor comes attached with the harness.

If you don't replace, or repair that harness, you'd keep getting check engine lights with a P0....oxygen sensor circuit out of range, or circuit low/high blablabla.

Removing the sensor as its mounted on the exhaust, is a hell. You'd need a 19mm spanner, or socket, to loosened it up.

PS: You've two of such sensors mounted on the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Intake side: A/F sensor
    Exhaust side: Oxygen sensor.

Dxta

#2 Dxta, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    bisco, Grit and xliderider like this.
  3. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    O2 sensor. Wrap this honda tape around the wires if you can resolder/fix it. It stops rats and mice from chewing on it.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 9.08.51 PM.png

m.wynn and Dxta like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how that stuff says honda on amazon.:cool:

danlatu and Dxta like this.
  5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would think the P0016 has it's own reason for setting as it has no relation to the rear o2 sensor. But if that o2 harness is rodent damaged, perhaps other wiring is too. I would inspect VVT, cam and crank sensor harnesses all the way to the engine ecu behind the glove box.

Timing codes with turd gen are basically unheard of around here and only rarely with gen 2. Rodent damage to a harness would be a nicer scenario than an actual timing issue.

Double check the code, is it actually P0036?.... This would be a rear o2 circuit code directly relating to the damaged harness in the photo.

danlatu and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Wanbli

Wanbli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMG_20200429_085239699.jpg [​IMG]
    Can anyone identify this chewed wire in the chewed conduit, it's a black wire? Rat chewed through my lft headlight wires. Chewed them so close to the plug, I can't splice them. Ordered new one!