1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help me to decide repairs vs new car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bethany, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi there first time posting, would appreciate any help! My 2008 Prius with 200,000 miles lit up like a Christmas tree with codes including triangle on the way to the doctor. Dealer replaced water pump free under recall, but after reading codes issue is ABS actuator. While replacing actuator at smaller shop (dealer would have charged $2300), found the hybrid synergy drive is bad. Small shop is replacing it with used one for free since it happened after they removed to replace actuator, but said the big battery is on its way out and to get rid of car. Should I replace battery for $1500, keep driving for now as-is or just get a new car? What else big could go wrong? Thank you!

2. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you need reliability, I would trade it.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

not sure what the hybrid synergy drive' is, the tranny? that would be a heck of a comp.
    i agree with bat^^ cur your losses. a $1,500. battery is not likely to be reliable.
    if you do want to keep her, get a new battery from a dealer.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On the one hand you got an epic deal on a huge amount of expensive work so you could get alot more miles out of it. On the other hand the value of your car is never going to be higher when you show a potential buyer all the work you've had done. So if you're gonna sell it for max price you can get, now's your chance. But if your just trading it in towards credit on a purchase towards a new car from a dealers, prepare to be insulted by their joke of an offer and drive the thing into the ground and limp it into the dealer to close on the deal. Car stealerships are almost as corrupt as the home loan industry when it comes to ripping people off with debts they'll never repay until they refinance you for the next swindle.

5. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's the silver box under the hood next to actuator? Sorry I don't remember what he called it. $4000 at the dealer to replace it, he is doing it for free. Just don't want to throw good money after bad with a battery. Had hoped (expected?) to get 300,000 miles so disappointed even though I shouldn't be. I expect to get next to nothing in trade.

6. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you all for responding!!

7. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would buy a new oem battery and keep driving the old one. You would have the top 2 most expensive and most common repairs done-brake actuator and HV battery. And the inverter done to boot. These cars are generally extremely reliable and have potential to last a long time.

The downside is that you will have spent as much in repairs as the car itself is worth, which is usually not a good idea. But if you are considering buying a new car, you will probably lose more money in depreciation—not to mention that just sales tax alone would be about half of what you’d pay towards a new HV battery.

8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OP probably isn't watching anymore but................

200K is a good run.

I would have given up on it at the first major failure.
    But now is not too late to cut your losses and move on.

I don't think you can reasonably expect to get 300K out of ANY current production car.
    Well, maybe a Benz diesel.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For 3,000$ you will get another 150,000 wonderful miles.

For 30’000$ you can buy a new one, cash flow is a rather personal decision.

pashko90 and Rph74 like this.
  10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am cheap and stubborn so I am torn between spending for the new battery and hoping to get a couple more years out of the car or just getting a new car. By new I mean new to me not brand new. I was actually considering a used Toyota Corolla. These repairs and being without a car have made me panic a little and want to jump the Prius ship. Which is dumb I know, these are the first repairs ever other than replacing the 12V battery. What are the chances that a new battery along with the other repairs would give me another year or two? Thanks again for the responses!

11. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm not sure why no one is suggesting that you keep driving it until the big battery goes and then make a decision. The hybrid battery does weaken over time, but it could last for a few years yet. With the other big ticket items out of the way, I would think that you would have nothing to lose by continuing to drive it as is.

Smaug1, ITBland, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's actually a good suggestion! When the codes were read at the dealership, nothing was mentioned about the battery.
    It was the small shop who said battery was going due to bars going up then back down quickly. I'll see how car is when I pick up. I thought I only had a week or 2 to figure out. Thanks davecook89t and everyone else! I'm assuming it will throw a code (s) before battery dies?

ITBland, scona and davecook89t like this.
  13. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Right, it will throw codes. You might also consider getting something like this ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth Professional Obd-ii Scan Tool | eBay, which, combined with the Torque app will allow you to check the condition of the blocks in your HV battery, to get an idea about how much time you might have. Search "Torque app" on this site, to get more information on how to use this tool.

Another recommendation would be to consider the "Prolong" battery reconditioning system sold by @jeff652 to get more life out of your aging HV battery.

Bethany likes this.
  14. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Great I will look into those! I still have lots to learn even after having this Prius 7 years :)

davecook89t likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    chances of getting a year or two out of a $1,500. battery are fairly poor. if it has a full labor and parts warranty, and you don't mind the downtime, it will last as long as the warranty and the company installing it.

pashko90, ITBland and davecook89t like this.
  16. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have seen places near me anywhere from $775 for rebuilt with 6 month warranty to $1550 5 year warranty. Not sure how they can warranty 5 years... to $2550 new. It feels like a crap shoot to decide but the info from everyone has helped a bunch! If I didn't have a commute everyday taking kids to school, I would feel better.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely a crapshoot. best bet is the longer warranty, if you can trust the company to honor it.

pashko90 likes this.
  18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When your battery is bad it will throw a bunch of lights and error codes... When your battery is old it loses capacity, in some instances it can lose half of its total capacity and still function normally. This is what the mechanic meant by the charge levels rapidly changing. There's a process called battery re-conditioning where you drain your battery down low and recharge, drain your battery down even lower and recharged, then drain your battery to almost zero and recharge. This process re-activates all the stagnant crystallized electrolytes that went unused for a long time and caused you to lose capacity. By doing this treatment, as well as refreshing annually you may well get many more years out of you battery. To learn more about this check out the FAQ page on this website: Prolong Grid Charger Dealer Installer Map – Hybrid Automotive

davecook89t likes this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be very curious as to exactly what is being replaced here.
    Because Hybrid Synergy Drive, is more or less a term Toyota applies to the whole working Prius. There is no separate part called specifically THE "Hybrid Synergy Drive'.
    What are they replacing and calling...the Hybrid Synergy Drive?

Somewhat cynically suspicious of the "smaller shop" because why would they replace "something" for free? Then suggest the battery is failing and you should just get rid of the vehicle?

At the very least, they are swapping something out of your vehicle and replacing used. I'd want to know what that is.

#19 The Electric Me, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    davecook89t likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point... More specifically, if they swapped out the transmission because they screwed up and damaged yours, then it'd make sense. But you need proof!