1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help me to decide repairs vs new car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bethany, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't actually pay for my gas so the fuel savings is moot for me. I think I'm going to just keep an eye on it and see how it drives after I get it back from the shop. I have the money to replace battery if needed or buy a used car outright but have that cheap & stubborn problem lol. I have learned so much from you all and at least I know my options thanks so much! Has anyone reported how long the Green Bean batteries are lasting? I could only find a couple threads from people who were thinking about or just had it installed.

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Buying a used battery is only a short term bandaid, every year you have to get it fixed!

When and if you need a new traction battery, buy the Toyota factory battery, have Toyota install it for the 3 year warranty, happy motoring.

pashko90 likes this.
  3. Smaug1

Smaug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's easy to say, but you're talking about sub-$1k vs. $3600 on a 12 year old car with over 200,000 miles on it.

Bethany is right to be balancing it. She could spend the big bucks on the Toyota battery, and it may go another 100k. Then again, something else expensive may crap out next week, in which case she'd be kicking herself for sinking big bucks into an older, high-mileage car. (even if it is a Toyota)

Buying a used battery is more of a crapshoot than a short-term band-aid. It could be very lightly used, well taken care of and not damaged in any way, and give 10 years of good service. OR... it could be one that looks good outwardly, but was recovered from a badly-crashed car with unknown damage. (think T-bone crash to the battery area @ 40 mph) If it is a used battery, but it is somehow warranted, that seems like a good compromise.

BUT... now that she said she's not paying for gas, so who cares if the traction battery is working or not? It is basically turned into a Matrix at that point. :)

Best of Lucky Bethany. I hope you will report back when you decide to trade in the old Prius on a newer one. (y)

4. pashko90

pashko90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid battery is most important part of your prius. With dead battery you may have no ac, no acceleration, no charge to 12volt systems( like no abs brakes, and etc). As diagnostics guy I recommend to OP change mechanic first. I have no idea how is it possible to blow inverter assy if you follow FSM or just common sense. Before battery fails with trouble codes, usually it effects acceleration and fuel efficiency.