1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help me understand the Dr Prius diagnostic! HV Battery Issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tetsuooooooooo, Jul 3, 2020.

1. tetsuooooooooo

tetsuooooooooo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please help! I don't understand fully how to read these results from Dr. Prius. Owned this car for a decade and do not want to sell it or lose it. Is the HV battery bad? Car runs great to me, but only getting 39MPG for a while. Had red triangle of death a few weeks ago, with engine and VSC lights on, went away after one hour. Dealership couldn't get them to come back. What is going on?

IMG_4117.PNG IMG_4116.PNG IMG_4115.PNG

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Next time you have warning lights, scan for OBD2 codes (DTCs), and post them here for additional guidance.

Since DP thinks the HV battery is running a bit hot, you may want to inspect the HV battery fan if it hasn't been cleaned or inspected lately.

How many miles on your 08, and is the HV battery the original OEM assembly?

#2 SFO, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    tetsuooooooooo likes this.
  3. tetsuooooooooo

tetsuooooooooo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SFO, thank you so much for your response!

I have never cleaned the fan or had it clean. I looked up how to do it and so I will be doing that. I have 177k on the 08 Prius. The HV battery was replaced once, by Toyota with another OEM about 8 years ago or so in 2012. Do some of the cells look dead? Not sure what else to make of the DP scan.

To answer your question about the codes, I only had them show up once for an hour and now they won’t come back and OBD2 shows no codes using DP. Thanks again!

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With no warning lights displayed on the dash, or codes (DTCs) retrieved from the ECUs, everything should be fine for the moment.

You might try a different app like Torque, or buy a mini-vci cable and use techstream on a windows device (could likely emulate as well).

Be sure to run the AC to keep the battery on the cooler side.