1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help Prius 2004 MFD Very Slow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusProudOwner, Jun 14, 2018.

1. PriusProudOwner

PriusProudOwner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello i bought a prius 2004 the only problem i have is that the MFD screen touch tab is very slow is there a way to do something about it ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

likely just replace it. check eBay for a salvage unit.

3. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    but it works perfectly fine only slow is there a way to reset it or meory clean it i need a solution before i concider buying a new one and replace it

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could try pulling the fuse, or disconnecting the 12v negative for a few minutes.

ITBland and PriusProudOwner like this.
  5. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    could you please explain to me where is the fuse for it and how do i find the batery cable to disconect please help

6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the radio working? Has it been replaced with an after-market unit? Anyone been in the dash? Any other symptoms? (Any there components not working?)
    If nothing else is amiss, I would open the dash and unplug/replug (is that a word?) the MFD cables (and the radio, too) several times--there may be some oxidation on the contacts and that may take care of it.

7. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i think if i take oout the mdf fufe and plug it back it maybe it would help

8. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Page 314 of the 2004 owner's manual, the MFD is described as the "Multi-Information Display" and is powered by 3 different fuses in the Instrument panel fuse box under the steering wheel: (There is a fuse puller in the Engine compartment fuse box)
    7 - ECU-IG (7.5A)
    13 - ECU-B (15A)
    20 - ACC (7.5A)
    Prius_Fuse_Locations.JPG Prius_FusePullerTool.JPG Prius_2004_Fuses.JPG Prius_2004_Inst_FusePanel.JPG Prius_MFD_Power.JPG
    I see in some threads about similar problems, pulling fuse #20 will sometimes be enough to reset the MFD.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12v volt is in the hatch floor by the right fender. lift the corner of the floor out. you need a 10mm wrench to loosen the neg cable and twist off. be careful of the positive terminal!

PriusProudOwner and ITBland like this.
  10. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or, undo the 10mm bolt that holds the neg cable to the body (easier than undoing the cable to the battery post.)

PriusProudOwner and bisco like this.
  11. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

do i need to keep the car on of or take the batery of or leve it as is and just pull those 3 fuses out and please explain more do i leave them out for a longer time or ? and thank you all for the fast help

12. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    this is what i have as fuses and there is not fuse 20 needed as mentioned on the plastic case because i have a prius 2004 basic so please Help me figure this out thank you all

Attached Files:

13. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, In your fuses, pull:
    1. ACC 7.5A Fuse #24
    2. ECU-IG 15A Fuse # 13
    3. ECU-B 7.5 A Fuse # 6
    I would leave them out for 2-5 minutes (longer is OK). You want all of the capacitors to discharge in the MFD, there are no big ones in there, so a couple of minutes should do it.
    Unfortunately, this may not help--What you are doing is completely unplugging the power from the MFD to reset its computer. (This is a standard way to completely reset a computer.) There could be some other electrical/computer fault causing the problem, but this should not harm anything* and costs nothing but a few minutes to try.
    (*There is a small chance that after powering down a faulty computer, it will not restart! If there is a fault that would cause this, the MFD would likely soon die anyway.)

PriusProudOwner likes this.
  14. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

i just unpluged the 6 13 and 24 leaving it out for 10 minutes and i will let you know in couple minutes what has happened

15. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

it did help now it takes 3-5 minutes before everything is ok and i can hear the beep sound when i press audio or climate info ect.should i change all the fuses to new onces ?

16. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could change them, but usually just pulling and then replacing them will clear any oxidation that might be causing a problem. The MFD should not take 3-5 minutes to start, there is still something wrong.

17. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    PriusProudOwner likes this.
  18. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

i got it wrong the mfd is powering on fast but showing details is slow like the hybrid battery and the usage of hybrid battery takes 3-5 minutes to show on the screen

19. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

yes the radio is working but before i un pluged the fuses the radio was working but when i pressed the audio it just said audio off but audio was working same with ac check air conditioning ect but now everything is better only take a bit time to show the actual hybrid battery info and so on

20. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to hear that the MFD is working better! I replaced my MFD with a newer model*, so I can't tell if 3-5 minutes before hybrid data shows up is normal (anyone know?), but getting the audio and climate back on the screen sounds like a win! glad it worked!
    (*My 2004 MFD screen was damaged when I bought my Prius used, I replaced it with a newer-model, 2006 high resolution MFD, and the hybrid data is available after ~30 seconds.)