1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help Prius 2004 MFD Very Slow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusProudOwner, Jun 14, 2018.

1. PriusProudOwner

PriusProudOwner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    he even stuck some thing to hold the whole compartment front dash il take pictures and send it to you tomorow morning

bisco likes this.
  2. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing that makes this thread so awesome is it's another fine example of someone coming to the forum seeking advice from experienced Prius enthusiasts, receiving the advice they seek, and then, well, not really listening............. and new MFDs from Toyota are 4 or 5k $$ last time I looked at actual Toyo websites/part numbers. The odds of RockAuto offering new ones for $600 are "slim". Perhaps they are also refurbs? Just like many others offered from online sources.

Actually just looked it up. They are Dorman remanufactured units. $350 + $300 core fee. So the "slim" chance just became "no chance".....

dolj and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Best would be to use a cotton swab with an electrical contact cleaner like DeoxIT or CRC QD (look for "Electrical contact cleaner" at your auto parts store) on the pins and wrap the connector in a rag and spray into the plastic connector to clean the tiny pin sockets inside the connector. (Keep the over-spray contained and eye and skin protection is a must.)
    Removing the 12v battery ground cable is always best when working on electrical components. Either undo the connection on the negative post, or you might find it easier to undo the 10mm bolt that holds the cable to the body (clean here, too!)

5. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hopefully they just used an adapter to plug into the radio and did not "hack" into (cut and splice) any of the wires.
    The ECU (computer) "talks" to the MFD over a two wire communication channel. The radio and the climate control use the same two wires to communicate with the MFD. When you want to add an AUX connection to the radio, you need a box to "talk" to the radio on those two wires to let the radio "know" that there is another input available. If the connection that was made, or the "box" is too noisy, the MFD can't "hear" the messages from the ECU, radio, or climate control.
    Here is a picture of the back of the standard radio. The connector I've circled normally does not have a plug in it. If it does, it should lead to the add-in AUX box. (Disconnect it and see if the MFD works!)
    Prius_Radio_back.jpg

6. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

why buy a new mfd or used one if the problem can be fixed without pulling out more than couple bucks ? and when you said well not really listening are you talking about me ?

7. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

toyota iv been talking to them this morning told me changing the whole fuses might fix the problem due to the car not running for more than a year oxidation occurred on the fuses box something like that so i am heading to canadian tire store and il be back at you buddy asap and thank you a lot for all the help :D

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well......
    Posts 2, 31, 32, 36, 39, 43, 46, 47, 51, 55

Hopefully you get lucky with the fuse replacements.

toyota iv been talking to them this morning

Was this a Toyota dealership/repair department?

Raytheeagle and ITBland like this.
  9. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    lol my god every toyota dealership has a repair department sometimes people come to help forums just to mess up the problems up even more :ROFLMAO:

11. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    looks like canadian tire only selfs in bulk of 4 fuses and its 4 same i am trying to figure out where in the hell am i gonna buy a whole box lol

12. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

i think i am going to buy your old mfd and replace it with my screen can we arrange a shipment date ? as you told me you had one with defective screen but the computer is still good well i'll just transfer my screen to your computer than and problem solved :D

13. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you looked behind the radio? The 2005 did not come with an aux input, if the PO said there was one, there should be a box

14. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    the guy who sold me said he thought there might be one and my prius is a 2004 he was an individual working at a garage

15. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    there was no dice or anything instaled in the mfd so there is a computer of the mfd problem i would like to buy yours if its still available aldo one mroe thing my passanger side windows is going down but can not go up since this morning do you know anything about that ?

16. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    never mind about the window it was just jamed :D now lets see if you can ship me that computer buddy

17. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    yes

also one last question since you know a lot about the prius if i use the air conditioner does it uses more gas even its its a prius hybrid ?

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The AC unit in a Prius is driven electrically and is efficient, but does use energy that originally came from the gasoline engine so yes, using the AC does impact MPGs. You however should use the AC to keep you and your HV battery cool as heat is the enemy of battery life.

JeffD

Raytheeagle and ITBland like this.
  20. PriusProudOwner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    now i have a new problem my driver side break light led is off and is there a possible way to only change the bulb without the whole assembly ?