1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

please help prius dead will not start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ls67ss, Mar 28, 2022.

1. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hello i have been trying to figure out codes 3190,3191 on my 2013 prius.it has those codes and when it did start it knocked and rattled really bad and said shutdown hybrid system malfunction but would start.i tried starting today its dead will not do anything the light for the door open comes on,the dome lights are on but dim,and hooked up a charger to the jump spot still did nothing.it will not do nothing please help

2. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    forgot to mention key fob locks and unlocks fine

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's your mileage? How's the condition of your 12v battery?

The knocking is very common with these cars. It's a beginning symptom of failing head gasket.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Measuring the 12v is the first level of diagnosis. Providing mileage and location helps as well. Most likely the 12v is too low and simply hooking up a charger for a few minutes may not be enough. Hopefully the high voltage battery is not excessively discharged due to far too many failed start attempts. That is rare. Using Dr Prius app or Car Scanner app with a bluetooth interface can read the high voltage.

Startup knocking that goes away quickly is typically a head gasket. How long this has been happening is essential to a better guess. A borescope can diagnose a head gasket unless its really bad and losing coolant and blowing white smoke. Then it is obvious without testing.

But we really don't know what you have or did because of a lack of details. A mechanic that charges $125 an hour will do all the legwork. Free advice requires more input from you.

https://bit.ly/ObdTwo

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The two trouble codes you have listed only mean that the gasoline engine is producing less power than it ought to.

The good news is, there is nothing exotic or hybrid-specific about that. Figuring out why a gasoline engine is running poorly isn't much different in a Prius than in any car of the past century.

The bad news is, there are a lot of reasons to sort through for why a gasoline engine could be running poorly. In the days before exotic hybrid-specific stuff, the skills for figuring out why gasoline engines ran poorly could make up the lion's share of the skills auto mechanics needed to have.

So there might not be any quick answer from the internet, just a longer process of going through the possibilities.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you're lucky it's just bad gas...

7. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    milage 180k ,washington state,so vehicle use to start and die and has hybrid malfunction pull off road scanned was p3190 and p3191 .after testing egr,clean throttle body,check plugs replace coils for 3 and 4 due to misfire counts plugs were replaced aprox a month ago,check all fuses,and aux battery was 11.27v .then i went out the other day to do more testing the vehicle is completely dead no ready no display nothing only things that work is the door light and key fob,so this morning i put a new fully charged aux battery tested has 12.6v wich the manual says is correct.it is still doing nothing checked all fuses again all check ok.when it did start couple days ago i remember hybrid battery was at 2 bar.i am lost dont know what is causing it to be dead since worked couple days ago just had codes and would shut down.please help just need it to power up for testing and obd .what could be cause of complete shutdown and if its related to the hybrid battery being dead how do i recharge or get power again .thank you

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I assume you do not get Ready. Is that correct? Sometimes it takes several attempts after replacing the 12v battery. Does the engine attempt to spin on startup?

What is the 12v voltage now that you have tried to start it a few times since replacement?

Was a jump start from another battery or car attempted? My guess is you did not check the 125a fuse which blows on a reverse polarity jump. I would check voltages downstream of that fuse.

Since you changed plugs and tore apart the egr based on something, there is a real possibility some of the connectors were left unplugged or not completely engaged. We have also seen no start cases where fuses were checked and put back in the wrong slots, the brake light switch had failed or the inverter failed. If the orange plug on the hybrid battery was pulled, it may not be properly engaged.

Given you started with severe start up rattles, a blown head gasket was probably the initial issue but sometimes shotgun repairs can introduce a second issue such as bad connectors or blown fuse.

* 125a fuse visible from top.jpg

*Fuse box diagram with jump point.jpg

#8 rjparker, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  9. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have tried several times nothing no ready or display,no attemp to spin or start ,was not jumped by a car did use a battery charger on 40amp at the fuse box jump spot,i will check the 125 amp fuse,have triple checked everything i have touched i will check again,the orange wire never touched .all the fuses checked ok and in correct spots from what the covers list,i will go check for brake lights,how would i tell if the inverter failed.thank you for the help i will go check the things you advise and let you know thank you

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Inverter provides codes but you need a better scanner as described above. Several other questions are unanswered.

This means something basic, probably electrical, is being overlooked. Measuring power at various points in the above schematic is often key. Making an assumption that a particular test, measurement, connector or fuse is right because you looked at it before often turns out to be the bottom line troubleshooting error.

11. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    rj thank you got power back found a bad 7.5 fuse under the hood.so i started it and it ran for a couple minutes was knocking then shut down panel saying check hybrid system.so on my foxwell scanner when check hybrid side it says it passes.got the p3190,3191.and p0102 maf and po113 .scanner readings KOEO 21c intake air temp,flow for maf 0.18gs,throttle position 19.2% .im starting to think the maf sensor is bad

12. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have a laptop with a obd 2 connector i use for bmw ista alot .someone mentioned a program dr prius or something to download for free.do you recommend for prius work/repair.i have several scanners.i have repaired cars for a while.just new to prius and the hybrid stuff.i really appreciate the help

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is all in the details. Which 7.5 amp fuse? Why did it blow? If one blew there are likely others. You have so many sensors out I would guess another fuse is out, connectors are left off or a wiring harness is shorted. A lot of these stories end that way.

If it ran rough, with rattling and shaking for several minutes, it could mean it was because of a sensor. Keep looking and resist the maf parts cannon. First low cost aftermarket maf sensors are notoriously bad. Did you change that already? Only use oem but be ready for sticker shock.

I would not expect an illegal copy of Techstream to solve this faster than any other scanner that can read maf readings and the like. Techstream sold online by the bootleggers requires a windows registry hack and a special hardwired interface cable. Instructions on getting it going are sketchy. Even then there is a learning curve to use the software and many features are not available because you are instructed to keep it offline. Otherwise go back to post 4 above.

Sometimes it makes sense to let a dealer diagnose a car that has a multitude of problems. We still don't know what the 12v is now or when it is in Ready. We still may have fuse or connector problems. Never assume. Plus it could be a dead end if the engine has been ruined because of a longterm headgasket leak. Why not spend $150 at the dealer and find out rather than a similar amount for a maf and Techstream?

14. ls67ss

ls67ss New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i believe the fuse possibly blew due to me battery charging the car just a guess.so last week was running perfect i never really had any issues with it.then i started one day engine was knocking ,check hybrid system light came on would run for a minute no throttle response then hear suction air sound and dies,check codes p3190,3191 have been trying to figure or fix.so i have tried new aux battery due to mine being low and everyone says the battery,no change probly needed anyway,tried new coil packs on cyl3 and 4 only cause there was misfire counts on both cylinders.i know misfires cause knocking noise in prius have seen before,no change,checked fuses several times,checked visually all wiring and connectors,cleaned throttle body,to this day coolant has never dropped its level.today i had a friend with the same car let me pull his maf sensor and try it.no change his car ran fine with mine in his car.not sure whats going on runs for a minute check hybrid system light comes on engine knocks whole time then engine takes big gasp of air and dies.to answer your last question i thought i posted after replacing aux battery 12.63v at jump post engine compartment fuse box .car does ready on.thank you for the help any suggestions just trying to fix and get back on the road

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So you saved the $150 for a maf. That is excellent. We now know it goes to Ready. That alone proves most of the critical ecus are working and certainly the 12v at startup is good enough now.

Still don't know what the 12v reads in Ready. Still has lots of sensor codes I assume but maybe not. It is important to check off the issues as you go.

My money is on another fuse or fusible link which doesn't look like fuses and are sometimes overlooked. A charger properly used won't blow a fuse. A high amp charger installed backwards for a second blows several. Assuming the same fuse (which one?) is still good we know a little more.

Typically a tech would visually scan everything, read codes and then verify a series of voltages if no other obvious pathforward existed.

Spend the maf money at a dealer and you will know in an hour.

#15 rjparker, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022