1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help! Prius problem after reinstalling hybrid battery!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Parrish21r, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so since we bought our Prius last 3 cell blocks and I've recently invested in the Venice hybrid tech grid charger. Well this time I took the battery just as I've done many other times, replaced a bad cell in cell block 3, cleaned all the copper connected, and then put the the pack back together. After balancing it out it was reading better than ever! So I put the pack back into the car carefully and plugged in all the wires from the harness and then the the two red cables that are towards the front of the car going back out to the generator up front. Only thing that has happened any different was the 12v battery died thanks to my "help" not properly closing the trunk. Charged the 12v back up. When I open the door the ignition ding is dinging away like there is a key in it. (But there's not) on the battery pack end the two cables out have a reading of 0v(attached is pictures of what I'm talking about). The main breaker/fuse for the pack is properly engaged. Any ideas on what I'm dealing with? Car will not crank or go into ready mode. It also is flashing a car with a key in it and the p,d,r,n,b light flashes repeatedly. My computer will not read it at all using tech stream. Any ideas guys? Please I'm in desperate need as this is our only vehicle. 1475590334286.jpg 1475590366513.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Change your 12v. You pressed down to lock the orange interlock right?

Make sure your connections are tight. And hope you're wearing protective gloves

3. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea I did. Would the 12v cause this problem? I was thinking maybe that was it but didn't want to go buy a new one and there be something else on top of that wrong too

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try jump starting it

5. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I'll try and give an update. Gotta wait for someone to come jump it off

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your 12v is over 5 years old, you should just change it. Once they drain, they are never the same again

7. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you disconnect the 12V battery from the charger and then try to turn it on, what voltage do you read at its terminals? First suspect should be your 12V battery.

8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    zero volts means the orange safety plug isn't locked into place...you have to insert it, press down until you hear a click..if its not seated all the way you get zero volts...double check you put the modules in the right direction..

9. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cell is seated correctly and plug it properly placed. Still 0v.

10. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the fuse in the plug has blown would that be causing this?

11. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just reading the post and was just about to reply. Try pulling the plug and checking for continuity with an ohm meter. If it's good, make double sure it's pushed down properly. You also might try removing the ground cable and/or tapping on the relays. I actually had one fail, stuck in the closed position. I could remove the safety plug and still had full voltage at the bottom side of the relay.

#11 greasemonkey007, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not an expert on the hybrid battery failure modes as I've never had one fail. In general for the Prius, the major diagnostics that need to be done for 90%+ problems to figure out their source are:
    1. Check codes
    2. Check 12V battery

If you can't do number 1, then I'd start with number 2. What I'm saying to do is to turn the car on to ACC-ON and then use a voltmeter connected directly to the battery to read it's voltage. If you're below 12.0V, your problem could just be your 12V battery. You already know that you've discharged it fully once which is really bad for lead acid batteries; there's a good chance it needs replacement. To me it seems really strange that the car isn't powering up enough to throw a code, which would point to the 12V battery not having enough charge.

13. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I was thinking because this is the second pack I've rebuilt and had no problems. Only things that happened different this time was my help left the trunk partially open so the car died and added the harness for the charger which didn't really affect anything besides the side that is getting power on the hybrid pack. So I'm going to buy a new 12v this weekend and get it in so that hopefully I can get my tech stream up.

14. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Venice charger? ick. They have major quality issues and don't support reconditioning - only charging. That will have a big impact on how long (or not long) the benefits will last. I wouldn't let that charger run unattended, major safety issues internally.

If you have 230V on the battery side of the main relays, and 0v on the vehicle side, then the 12V system is not closing the battery disconnect relays. I agree with the others that the 12V is suspect, but you should easily be able to test that by trying to start the car with the 12V battery trickle charger connected (It will deliver the needed 14V). You are pressing the Start button twice, right?

15. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea it's the 12v battery. I have another charger/discharger for reconditioning I had got it for using like when we were going to be home for a few days without running the car adequately

16. Parrish21r

Parrish21r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so 12v says it has 12v then press the power on and then it says a little less than 12v but car is saying it is not in park and won't go into park as well as 0% on the hybrid pack. I'm still at a loss here.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12v should be at least 12. 4 when stone cold. they are 13 when new.

18. Pubrica

Pubrica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Parrish21r
    Looks to me you have a good power and Ov at the out let side of cable mean one of black relay(under connection 2 is HV side and 2 is outlet) is not respond when you try to start that I'm thinking. have you tested this one(Sorry, I never tested this one before,but this time is good to know I think)

19. Josephphamy

Josephphamy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you figure out what the problem is?
    Joseph

#19 Josephphamy, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  20. Fro-Dawg

Fro-Dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you figure out the problem and what charger/device do you use to balance the modules?