1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help, prius skaking, engine light on and blinking and traction control light comes on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hpartsch, Jun 3, 2010.

1. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I have a 2005 Prius with 84k miles on it, I recently purchased it used w/ 82k miles.

While driving, about 15 miles into my drive the check engine light starts blinking with acceleration (i counted as many as 18 blinks in one time). The traction control light also came on a few times. With acceleration, the car shook. I was close to an advanced auto parts, so I went there hoping they could help. They were unable to have the connector sync with the car.

I ended up calling my girlfriend and asking her to look on this site for problems as I described. She found and read me info such as water leaking into the spark plugs (it did just rain allot yesterday) and bad gas. To my surprise, there was really no clear answer.

I called and got it towed to the Toyota dealer:(.

The dealership just called and said they did a quick scan, and it "appears not to be from bad gas" but more testing will be done tomorrow.

If anyone would be able to help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I really am not sure how much this is going to cost, but I don't have allot of money due to being in school.

Would it be worth it to drive up and try some fuel water remover tonight? I also read on here changing the spark plugs isn't too hard? I have a friend that lives close by I could drive it to his house and do the above. Is this even a good idea?

If anyone has any helpful advice I would greatly appreciate it!!

Herb

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the car is already at the Toyota dealer, I suggest that you let them retrieve the DTC and give you a diagnosis. At that point you can decide whether you can do the repair work yourself or not.

If you go to the dealer after hours and try to retrieve the car, you'll probably find that it is locked away. It's not a good idea to try to do that after hours unless you don't mind being stopped and questioned by the friendly local police.

3. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so they just won't fix it then charge me wayy to much money without letting me know whats wrong? That's the only thing I'm afraid of.

Thanks so much for the response!

4. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They will diagnose your car, call you with an estimate of repair. If you approve the repair, the work will be performed and cost the amount you will have approved when a service advisor calls you. NO work will be performed on your car unless you approve of it. Give them a chance and let us know what they find.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when my car was shaking, it was due to a bad ignition coil. unfortunately these things don't pop up in codes (i had my mechanic friend check...) it only drops codes if the spark plug itself fails, or you unplug something.

changing spark plugs is easy. i accidently sheered a bolt that holds down the ignition coils, so i went to my local hardware store and purchased something non aluminum. no problems since.

6. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it was a bad ignition coil, cost $250 for everything, my dad got a discount somehow by stopping up, he probally told them he'd do it if they didnt lower the price.

They said water got into it, which from reading this forumn, it did rain very hard the night before. It was in coil #1 which they said is the easiest to replace.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?? Seems like a bad design. Also do I have to worry about the others going bad anytime soon?

Thanks guys!

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take a look at the plastic cowl cover where the windshield wipers are located. Note that there is a vertical seam between the two plastic cowl pieces. That seam is normally sealed with black foam which doesn't work very well, as your experience proves. Also, the spark igniters have only one bolt holding them to the engine valve cover and the rubber O-ring clearly provides an inadequate seal.

The fix is to apply a bead of black silicone sealant on the cowl cover seam, to discourage water from dripping down the seam and onto the engine valve cover. Perhaps this was already done by the dealer tech as this was the subject of a TSB.

You may have to worry about water entering the cyl #1 spark plug well again (and maybe the other cylinder spark plug wells as well) if the seam has not been sealed.

8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I put some super duty spark plugs in my 06 two summers ago got 62mpg all that summer then my mileage dropped to the high thirty's, took a look and one of the plugs had fouled, was running on three cylinders but no shaking, luckily. It's a disastrous design but if like Patrick suggests you seal any leak-able spots leading toward the ignition coils it shouldn't reoccur.

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ignition coils cost 80 dollars....

ursle: your spark plug upgrade makes me wonder if i should check mine...

10. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks so much!!! I did the fix myself it was pretty easy!

hopefully I wont have the problem again.

One other question, I changed my air filter today. The big piece of plastic that sits over top of it, does that ever need changed? The filter thingy in it looks dirty.

Thanks again guys!

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's a carbon filter... supposedly it never needs to be replaced.

i'm curious about replacing it too...

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A reputable dealer should ask you what you want and not proceed with any work unless YOU okay it.

You should ask NOW how much this diagnostic is going to cost you, because they will charge you. You should also let it be known you are not authorizing anything further...which should be automatic but it's still better if you voice it.

But a reputable, good dealership should NOT just fix it and charge you without first getting the approval from you. Just make sure they know that at this point you just want diagnosis and cost of diagnosis. Sometimes this is not a static figure....as going through a procedure to define a problem can be an everchanging process.

If you are on a budget, I'd also tell them upfront how much of a ceiling on diagnostic costs you are willing to reach...and tell them not to exceed that ceiling.

13. juan_dgo

juan_dgo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hello,

I'm having exactly the same issue with my prius. Yesterday my engine light flashed 18 times as well, and shakes. Was your issue resolved after you replaced the Coil?

Thanks your help.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The first step is to remove the coils, clean and dry them. Make sure there is no water down around the plugs and refit the coils. Seal the seam in the plastic cowl above the engine to stop it happening again, and try the car to see if the problem has cleared. If not the Prius does issue misfire codes relating to the cylinder that is misfiring, replace that coil.

John (Britprius)

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You can also swap coils and see if the cylinder code changes to determine the health of the igniters (coils).

JeffD

16. juan_dgo

juan_dgo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your help, I removed the coils yesterday and installed new spark plugs. Coils were dry, I noticed that one of the spark plug wasway darker than the other ones. Car shakes less but makes a crancking noice when gas engine runs.
    Any sugestions?

17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Noise - electrical high voltage arcing? Swap coils as I suggested and reread the codes to see if the code points to a different cylinder misfiring. If so you need to replace the bad coil.

JeffD

18. juan_dgo

juan_dgo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I also noticed that for some reason I can't get more that 35 mpg. Is that clearly a coil issue?

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a problem with that cylinder. The dark residue on the spark plug insulator is due to lack of proper combustion.

What is a "crancking" noise? This is not an English word.

It might be. If one out of four cylinders is not producing power, your fuel economy will be significantly impaired.