1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help ! Red triangle!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris Allen, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Chris Allen

Chris Allen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so, I just bought this 2006 Prius 167k from a trusted person who bought it new, I LOVE the car! Everything was fine until the the oil maint light came on and I took it to a local lube shop for an oil change. After driving about 40 miles at highway speed, 3 lights came on at once the CEL, VSC, and the red triangle, no change in cars performance tho. I stopped for 10 mins and the VSC light went away but the other 2 remain, another 10 miles and the low oil pressure light came on as well. This car has been great for the month I’ve owned it Took it to get an oil change and now this. Please help!

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have you checked the dipstick? Low or high?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to check codes, but things that can throw the red triangle are low oil (per above ) and also the inverter water pump can go bad. You don't want to overheat the inverter so you want to make sure that pump is working before you drive too far. Mine just went bad at 175k miles. We figure about 80-100k miles life for those pumps, and many were replaced under warranty at 80k miles or so

4. Chris Allen

Chris Allen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have noticed no oil on the cardboard I put under the car overnight, dipstick still reads high and oil is clean. I pulled the positive off the battery in the rear, codes are gone. I have driven approx 20 miles since. No more codes yet how would I check the functionality of the inverter pump? Will YouTube get me by? Or should I know more ?

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Low oil pressure light on.........what to do......what to do......

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1) READ the owners manual.
    2) Get the codes read by a shop/store/equipment that can read ALL Prius codes. Ideally read using Techstream software (official software designed for Lexus/Toyota and used at all dealerships). "Universal" code readers and auto parts store code readers will miss many Prius codes. You may want to invest in getting Techstream for yourself; $25+ on Amazon, ideally installed on old Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7); ask freinds/family in IT for an obsolete laptop laying around. Mac install possible, just search.

COPY/PASTED from my 2007 Owner's Manual. Should you decide to read/look at your's, you will see it is the same.

The oil change shop likely screwed up: didn't put enough oil, didn't tighten the oil filter to specifications, didn't tighten the engine oil drain plug to specifications, didn't use a new engine oil drain plug washer. These are the three likely scenarios from the oil change shop. BUT, it could also be a remote conincidence that the engine happened to suffer some catastrophic part failure (ie oil pump), not due to the oil change; its a possibility, but a lotto odds type possibility, if the oil change place did everything correctly.
    page 6 upload_2018-10-23_5-29-0.png

page 134 upload_2018-10-23_5-34-25.png

page 135, upload_2018-10-23_5-31-35.png

GET THE CODES READ! Once read, trouble shooting can begin.
    page 6 upload_2018-10-23_5-29-14.png

page 125 upload_2018-10-23_5-38-27.png

CEL (Check Engine Light) is Emissions Related. This likely won't leave you stranded. You will just be contributing to Global Warming at a faster due to Emission related equipment not working correctly.
    It could be P0420 (Catalytic converter), P1121 (3 way coolant control valve), other issues.
    page 6 upload_2018-10-23_5-29-38.png

page 125 upload_2018-10-23_5-38-4.png

page 6 upload_2018-10-23_5-29-51.png

page 126 upload_2018-10-23_5-39-8.png

page 149 upload_2018-10-23_5-35-48.png

DO NOT OVERFILL THE ENGINE OIL! Ideally, you will always keep oil level at or just under the FULL dimple mark. NEVER let oil fall below LOW oil level dimple mark. 1.5quarts represents the difference between the LOW and FULL dimple mark. 3.5 quarts is what will more or less be used for an oil change. Worst case scenario of an overfilled engine; READ: Another Walmart oil overfill, Toyota is hinting at new ICE | PriusChat

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The inverter water pump working can be seen as turbulence in the reservoir (you have to take the lid off the reservoir).
    The inverter pump not working is evidenced by Red Triangle and it throws code P0A93 and whole bunch of other codes, but look for P0A93.