1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help to identify a button

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mxm26, Sep 1, 2020.

1. mxm26

mxm26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

I bought Prius PHV 2015, Japanese import, refurbished by Toyota NZ.
    I've got English manual, but it doesn't cover all the car features.
    I was able to figure out what most of the options do, but still have a couple of questions.
    1. Button next to a dome lights. Looks like cell phone with waves (see attached picture). When pressed, it flashes. I'm wondering what it does beyond flashing.
    2. On top of windshield, there are 4 things which look like antennas(picture attached). 2 of them on each sides of the mirror. What are they for? P_20200901_074419_vHDR_Auto.jpg P_20200901_074356_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    Thank you for your help. :)
    Max

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    It’s the CAN-BT switch, used when connecting a smartphone for the PHV Drive Support features (page in Japanese); see pages 60–67 in the Owner’s Manual (PDF, in Japanese).

I have no idea if any of those features works outside of Japan. Since they appear to be smartphone-based, rather than using a DCM (cellular radio) in the car itself, I suppose they might work, if you had a way to register, which may be difficult, since that apparently requires submitting an application form and the ¥2200 fee at a Toyota dealer in Japan. (If your local Toyota dealer imported the car, perhaps they could help.)
    They are antennas, for receiving GPS and (Japanese) digital terrestrial television signals, probably added as dealer-installed options when the car was sold to its first owner in Japan.

QuantumFireball and Prodigyplace like this.