1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help us choose a USED Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Diotima, Feb 22, 2013.

1. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would suggest that you first have someone send you a text while your Prius is 'on' and bluetooth is connected to your phone and see what happens.

It surprised the heck out of me when it did it, since I had not explicitly set up anything with texts and am not a regular text user.

If it doesn't alert you and offer to read the text (or just start reading), then I will delve into the manual.

2. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check out Clazzio.com for aftermarket leather/heated seat covers. You can save a lot of money by going with a level 3 Prius over the 4 or 5. Clazzio leather seats sell for $419.00 and you can customize them for the same price (color, stitching, heated seats, etc...) They look OEM. Good luck!

3. Diotima

Diotima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have a candidate!

Found a 2010 Prius IV with 72k miles. Clean Carfax. One (corporate) owner. Leather, nav, too many tech goodies to list (no solar, no sunroof).
    Dealer is asking $18,999.

Am I smoking something to think I could get it for $17,500, or maybe 18k even? I ask because there's a nearly identical vehicle (even the same color), but it's a Prius Five with 3500 fewer miles, and it's 150 miles farther away. That dealer wants $17,995.

I'm thinking print the comparable vehicles and take them to the first dealer for leverage? The distance to the second vehicle isn't much of a factor. We'd take the train, pick up the car, visit a theme park and probably make a weekend of it. That said, the first vehicle is at a Toyota dealer where we could take advantage of 1.9% financing.

KBB says both dealers should be asking more, not less, so these are looking like decent prices.

It's been awhile since I've done a deal, and I'm feeling rusty. :D

ralleia likes this.
  4. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would certainly take the specs on the Five along--just be careful how you introduce it.

Personally, I really, really hate the whole adversarial price negotiation phase of the car purchase, which is why I ended up driving almost 1,000 miles each way to pick up my Prius at a Lithia. The Omaha dealers pissed me off that much.

As you are talking about doing, we made a mini-vacation of it, taking in Devil's Tower in Wyoming, the Little Bighorn battlefield memorial in Montana, and Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore in South Dakota. It was a BLAST!

I'd be more tempted toward the Five with lower miles, unless the Four has some extra goodies.

Try for the lower price, and make sure that you aren't in any hurry.

5. YellowR6

YellowR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yo diotima, u from SoCal? Guess u missed the 2010 prius iv white with 85k, single owner, clean for 14k over the weekend. It's sold already. I would so fly Down to LA and drive it back to sf if I didn't just brought my 10 prius iii with 32k.

To me, 18.9 with 72k is too much. 72 k is high for 3 yr old car.

Try this one:

2010 Prius III very low miles

See if u could offer 19k or even 20. 20k is very low. GL!

6. YellowR6

YellowR6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Btw, kbb for the 2010 prius iv with 72k is between 17.4-18.7.

I would aim for somewhere in the middle if u really liked the car.

Being in Bay Area, it was very hard finding a good deal on a gen3. Very few option with clean title and low milages for a good price. Even with 50k+ miles, private seller here are asking for over kbb and firm too.

I see quite a few gen3 in SoCal for better prices than Bay Area. Usually at kbb or a bit under but they do sell fast.

I shop for my gen3 and brought it within 2 days. Got lucky with a private seller in sf. Exactly what I was looking for. 10 model iii with under 40k and clean title.