1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please help! Very desperate! Front hub assembly woes...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by xc_prius, May 27, 2014.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try to reset the skid control ECU DTC by using a jumper from pins 4 to 13 in the OBD-II socket, instructions are posted on PriusChat. If that doesn't clear the DTC then you'll have to figure out what the problem is.

It doesn't help to have the dust shield interfering with the rotor and you should figure out a way to permanently cure that issue.

2. xc_prius

xc_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya I'm going to try bending it more and see if that works

3. xc_prius

xc_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is risky no? Can it not short out the whole thing? Or is that only if I jump the wrong pins. Can I just use a paper clip or is there a more legit way? Also can the codes be cleared by a mechanic?

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Obviously if you short the wrong pins together you'll have a problem, so you need to look up the procedure to clear the DTC and decide whether you can do it. The codes probably can be cleared using a generic OBD-II reader but a generic reader will not be able to correctly read the logged codes.

5. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When they rebuilt it did they use the correct exiter ring? One with a different pattern will confuse the system for sure. Also make sure there is no debris on the tip of the sensor you removed, make sure it's seated fully and straight in (did you break the bolt? I can't remember) also make sure the small inner dust shield hole is lined up with the sensor hole. I suspect one of those conditions are causing your lights. I had some flakes of metal stuck to mine and it lit up the same stuff, cleaning it cleared my codes immediately, there was no need to reset anything in my case.

6. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]
    That is an exciter ring if you didn't already know. They come in all different sizes with different patterns. Very basically that sensor you had to remove is a magnet and it detects those teeth as the shaft turns. It's very sensitive to damaged teeth as well as differences between the different wheels.

7. xc_prius

xc_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The codes were thrown after I put it together the first time. I plugged the battery back in and took it for a drive. I immediately noticed something was wrong and put it back in the garage. I jacked it up and saw that the hub I just installed blew out. It blew out so much that I think it caused the axle nut to crossthread.

I took it apart again and the threads on the CV were obliterated. I then changed the CV having it rebuilt from one I got at a drive shaft place. The exciter ring is the same. Dust shield is on properly. The sensor may be dirty that is possible. However do these codes clear themselves after whatever problem there was is fixed?

8. xc_prius

xc_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To clarify, it's the same exact driveshaft that was in the car. Also I have solved the brake dust shield rubbing issue by creative bending. I'm bringing the car to get aligned so I was wondering if they could clear the code to see if it comes back. Or is jumping the pins the only way to do it?

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jumping the pins is a workaround. The correct way is to use an OBD-II code reader or even better, Mini VCI (which emulates Toyota Techstream.)

10. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine cleared immediately after I cleaned the debris off the sensor and I drove maybe 500ft if I recall. I know I've never done the jumper trick and I didn't yet have a code reader when I did it. Check the exciter ring for damage as well.

11. xc_prius

xc_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I found out what the problem was, sadly. The mechanic I took the car to did not fully tighten the axle nut onto the CV which did not pull the axle all the way into the hub. This makes it so the sensor can't even read the exciter ring. I assumed the mechanic assembled it properly as it was driving fine. I noticed the issue yesterday driving home from work and heard a rumbling on that side. Pulled over to realize that there were virtually no exposed threads on the axle whereas my other side has about a half inch. Had the car towed immediately as to not risk further damage. Hopefully the mechanic will fix it right and pay for any extra damage that may have occured. This has been the worst car experience in my life :(

KhaPhoRa likes this.