1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 2016Prius_Newbie, Dec 19, 2016.

1. 2016Prius_Newbie

2016Prius_Newbie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi all. I just recently purchased a 2016 Prius Four Touring. Initially, I loved it!!! I was making insane gas mileage & the vehicle had incredible power.

Then, one day I heard (& felt) a popping sound from under my feet. Suddenly, I wasn't making the same mileage anymore. More like 10-20 mpgs less.

Also, weird stuff is happening. First, I noticed the gas engine keeps turning on to charge the hybrid battery. I can have 5-6 bars showing on the hybrid eco monitor display, and the gas engine still comes on to charge the hybrid battery...even while breaking.

Second, I noticed that the hybrid battery doesn't seem to be holding its charge overnight. The bars on the battery monitor start dropping as a pull out of my driveway, and then the gas engine starts charging again. This has become very frustrating as I keep starting mpgs at a deficit. I will literally go from the display showing that I am making 60-80 mpgs to dropping down to 18-22 mpgs (sometimes into the single digits) because the gas engine was staying on to charge the hybrid battery. It takes about a 20+ mile trip before I start getting into the listed mpgs. It's driving me crazy!!

Also, I notice that my car feels like it's lost some power too...just not the same pickup. Finally, I'm noticing an intermittent howling sound when accelerating.

I have gone back to the dealership to resolve these issues. The Prius certified mechanic hooked up the diagnostic computer to my car, and said he couldn't find any problem. He recommended that I come back when my first service is due to have it checked further. I am now getting due for service, but I have some confidence issues going back to that same dealership.

1. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem(s)??

2. Can anyone recommend a prius mechanic at a dealership that could diagnose what's wrong with my car??? I live in southeast Florida...Ft. Lauderdale area.

THANK YOU!!!

#1 2016Prius_Newbie, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    try another dealer, its still a new car

3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When did you buy the car? what temps are you experiencing since then? at what speed did you hear the "popping" sound? did you hear it again?
    Did you change driving mode? were you in PWR mode and now in ECO mode?

4. 2016Prius_Newbie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Purchased in August.

Temp been pretty consistent in the 80s.

Popping sound heard while slowly pulling out of garage. Never heard again.

Almost always in Normal mode.

5. 2016Prius_Newbie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks! Just hoping for a referral from someone who has been really happy and confident in their mechanic.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I hope you find one.

I think there are very few real mechanics out there anymore.
    WAY too many don't know anything beyond "the computer" and don't seem to have a basic understanding of how a vehicle really works......even non-hybrids.

Talk to the owner of the dealership where you bought it. Tell him that you intend to leave it there until they can find the problem and fix it.
    Also check the warranty book that came with your car and call the warranty help line.....NOW so they can start a file.
    And it might be a good idea to look into the lemon laws in the state where you live.

If you don't show them that you are serious they might just string you along forever.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  7. 2016Prius_Newbie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I agree with you...it's pretty scary!
    I did call Toyota and have a case#. I appreciate all your suggestions!!

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another option here, if you get desperate, is to PM @Prius Team . They are Toyota US Prius marketing team & they should be able to direct you.

Beachbummm and RCO like this.
  9. 2016Prius_Newbie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you! Great idea!

10. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My cousin is a master Prius tech in the Tampa area. If you can't get it worked out locally drop me a line and I'll see about getting you in with him.

11. 2016Prius_Newbie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Will do, thanks!

RCO likes this.