1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please recommend battery charger / maintainer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by S Y, Jul 23, 2022.

?
  1. Noco Genius 1a

100.0%
  2. Battery Tender 4.5a

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. S Y

S Y New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm planning on getting a battery charger / maintainer, and am now considering between Noco Genius 1a and Battery Tender 4.5a. Or if there's something else better, please recommend.

NOCO GENIUS 1, 1A Fully-Automatic Smart Charger
    $29.95 @ Amazon

Battery Tender 4.5 Amp SuperSmart Battery Charger & Maintainer
    $49.99 @ Costco

Is it okay to charge by connecting the positive red clamp to the point in fuse box and grounding the negative black camp? If I'm using a clamp, I'd much prefer doing it from under the hood than the much less accessible trunk compartment. Cigarette smoke infested garage is also a big reason of not want to leave any door or window open, hood won't have this problem.

I figured the Noco 1a would be sufficient if I'm keeping it plugged-in for the longer periods of not driving, though it's only recommended for up to 30Ah, but it seems people say it's better to charge at lower amperage and I'm not too concerned about time. I'm mainly worried whether it can actually bring a dead battery back, dead only meaning car won't start and nothing electronic on the Prius works.

Battery Tender 4.5a is a brand I saw mentioned a few times while googling infromation, and it came with a quick connect mount cable, being from Costco is also a plus. And this might be more useful if the battery of another car in the family dies. I saw someone mentioning Prius recommends to charge under 4.2 or 4.3a, is this 4.5a going to be okay? Also, will I be able to squeeze in the mount cable while keeping the floor boards in the trunk in place?

Here's the background information:

I have an 2013 Prius that isn't being driven very often, every 2 week, there'd be an interval of 1 week to 10 days of no driving, but it was definitely driven at least twice every 2 weeks. Also, I might leave for a whole month in November.

The battery died on me twice after the battery in the trunk was replaced by AAA on April 2021, and last week we asked for replacement and in the process the technician discovered it wasn't tightened and said that's why its discharging so much. But before discovering the loose bolt, he also said we need to start it and let it run for 10-20 minutes every other day to keep it from dying, which seemed way too frequent to my understanding.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This CTEC brand one is the best of the best. You buy it once and use it for many cars in the future. Even expensive Porsche and Mercedes

CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 Fully Automatic 4.3 amp Battery Charger and Maintainer 12V

I didn't know AAA carried the Prius size battery and did installation for them. Last time I checked, they only did simple installations, batteries located in the engine compartment.

A Prius battery shouldn't have issues if you let it sit for 10 days. Assuming you let it charge back up when you do have the opportunity to drive it

3. S Y

S Y New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I meant the one in the passenger side of the trunk.

I did not know there's another battery in the engine compartment, I just thought there's a connection point in the fuse box because you can't open the trunk when the battery's dead.

So if I charge from the front, does it only charge the battery in the engine compartment and not the one in the trunk? Will connecting the battery maintainer in the front keep the Prius from not being able to start?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no battery in engine compartment, the 12v battery is located in the rear. But I didn't know AAA would do that installation, it's harder and more complicated than standard engine compartment installs.

You can charge from the front jump point, that's fine.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not a lot.
    I’m using CTEK 4.3, pretty much round the clock, employing its quick connect harness. No problems. Think it’s older version of the aforementioned 5. The prices have really gone up though.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your chargers options suck! Too expensive, not enough amps, not smart enough... Get yourself something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394111590435 or this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125275876157

As in a decent 12v charger goes up to 10amps when needed and has a cooling fan, as well as a microprocessor in it to do all the thinking for you so you can connect it to whatever and forget about it.

#6 PriusCamper, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  7. Rolinslo

Rolinslo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

8. Rolinslo

Rolinslo New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have managed to resurrect a 9-year-old stone-cold dead Honda Odessey 120A battery using a NOCO G15000's repair function. It took 2 weeks for it to complete the task. I had completely forgotten about it until I noticed a bright green light one night in the garage. Yes, the battery was restored! The battery is in its 11th year. It just died again because when I took it in for a fender bender, for whatever reason, the mechanic had the rear passenger reading light on and I didn't notice it. I drive my Prius mostly, so didn't notice the light in the van. The G15000 has a battery maintenance function too. So I vote, go NOCO.

bisco likes this.
  9. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It took me about a day and a half to revive a dead Prius 12V with a NOCO Genius 5. The Genius 1 should also work, but it'll be much slower. I do really like the build quality.
    This is not necessary. I have let it sit for as long as 90 days without incident.