1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please share wisdom on replacing my tires... 91v vs 90w, and why? (Prius V 5 2012)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by fpfpfpfpfp, Feb 4, 2023.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’m usually on my phone and it’s difficult for me to splice my answers into your text, so sometimes I’ll miss a question, or two, etc. My apologies…

This is your thread so I don’t think there’s a problem asking about that big $$$$ the Toyota dealer is holding above your head, or asking in a new thread. But yeah that work most likely should be addressed sooner than later. What are they saying it needs?

I’ve honestly never purchased used tires. I’ve seen them sold on eBay, or passed by an occasional store that sells them. I’ve definitely bought (extremely) cheap (but new) replacement tires when I felt my wife wanted to trade in our Panamera due to maintenance/repair cost. I even JB Weld (with a strip of aluminum soda can) on a metal coolant tube to prevent it from dislodging, vs replacing the assembly.

The slightly larger size tires do seem to run smoother, (the car is more comfy). And yes even though they are W speed rated I do believe they are all-season. It seems you’ve been happy with how the current tires run, so I don’t think it is a concern to get a V rated replacement tire. Bottom line is you get something you feel like getting. Just use your new understanding. For example: SL (Standard Load) and XL (eXtra Load). Don’t fret about the 91 vs 90 vs 95. I’m not sure getting used tires makes sense if you get one of the lesser priced tires than the Kumhos I mentioned.

(Hopefully I didn’t miss addressing something)!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, you are probably being lied to and overpriced on $6k of Toyota dealer service advisor repairs. They are not "concierges", they are commissioned salesmen just like the con men on the sales floor. The typical mo is to sell you fuel system cleanings (worthless) and overpriced alignments and brakes that can be had or half price elsewhere. They will even quote things like brake boosters that may have a free repair by Toyota. I have seen it. List the repairs and prices.

Save money at the dealer not with your tires. Poor quality tires will wear out in 1/3 the time; you end up buying cheap tires two or three times while your neighbor is still safe and reliable with his Michelins or equivalent. There is no magic to cheap tires. They lose balance and fail faster. Overall cost of ownership is higher. Safety and reliability is not the place to pinch pennies or dollars.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  3. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    100% agree. I like to save money whenever possible but when it comes to tires, those four pieces of rubber are the only things that keep you or your loved ones on the road.

@fpfpfpfpfp: If you want to take it easy on your pocketbook, skip the $50 Landsail or Linglong tires - buy quality tires instead and take your 2012 car to somewhere other than a dealer for servicing. Any mechanic can work on your car despite what the owner's manual says.

We have a saying in this part of the world which I think applies here: "Penny wise and pound foolish"

#23 Todd Bonzalez, Feb 14, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  4. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had Mich defenders................. no change in mpg