1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please support this rule change

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 9, 2010.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This approach quickly suffers a head-on collision with the fact the our gross national resources are finite.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    this is true, but i think that anything produced in lots of millions, the cost will be reduced. i personally think the cost projected here is bit more than estimated and i cant help but wonder if we are ignoring the possibility that these cameras might benefit us in other ways.

looking at ONLY the deaths of toddlers from backing incidents is a very low percentage event. how about something that happens several thousand times a day? like fender benders. parking lot incidents, etc.

lets put that into the cost equation. now, granted in those events, no one died so i think we should apply much less weight to those incidents...say 5%... so that would be 5 % times a thousand times 365 days a year divided by what now?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dave,

Nothing prevents you from buying a vehicle with a backup camera, should you choose to do so. I am questioning why everyone should be forced to buy the camera, whether or not they perceive value in that feature.

Although my child may be worth an infinite amount to me, I would not presume to think that others would place a similar value on her life.

Our country and its residents do not possess infiinite resources. Cost/benefit tradeoffs are made every day. Hence my question whether or not this is the best use of $30 billion (over ten years.)

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Patrick; that is why i am grateful that i am not the one who decides these things. as it stands, there are a lot of safety rules now that i think are ridiculous and not cost effective. the problem as i see it; our litigious society has raised the bar ever higher for what it seems to be lesser and lesser events.

this rule i can understand and i am sure it will be simply an option for many years to come. only then can we really evaluate its effective in saving lives and reducing accidents.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I honestly didn't mean to mock. I seriously have no idea what your point was and was trying to summarize what I got out of your comment so that you could confirm or advise. I guess confirmation is out, but I'm still lost. Feel free to mock me if it makes it easier to post.

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good point.

and... believe it or not, there are some (well one) people on this very forum who will disagree with that stance. No, I can't believe it either, but there it is.

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have not read the entire thread, but I could go with rear-view cameras if they could also replace the side mirrors and reduce the wind resistance.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. Every life is beyond worth.

Now that we've got that out of the way, how much money do we have?

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None. However, we owe: [​IMG]

ref: U.S. National Debt Clock

That said. If/when I ever have children, I will protect them from backup incidents by not purchasing an SUV and keeping them off of my property.

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Doesn't that make raising them really hard?

1 person likes this.
  11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm doing my part by sending a check for $0.56. Freedom isn't free.

Hey...wait a minute, the amount keeps increasing!
    :)

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no idea why you might think that. Many of my friends with children do not/will not purchase SUVs and they do just fine? I am disappointed by the narrowness of mind many Americans appear to have about what is required to raise children (which my own parents somehow transcended).

13. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Read your original post very carefully and they you'll get FL's joke.

1 person likes this.
  14. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think SUVs are the point, or pickups, or RVs. Every car has a huge blind spot back there. Without the backup camera how much could you see below the rear split window?

- D

15. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as the cost analysis of the backup camera is concerned, I have a camera in my $20 phone. The camera is a small fraction of its cost. The Prius already has a video display, which is cost effective because it allows for a variety of function displays that would otherwise need to be individual: gauges, stereo adjustment knobs, etc. This kind of display is becoming common in many cars, and undoubtedly the cost will come down. Evenually it may not be cost effective to include an instrument cluster, just display everything on a flat panel.

Also, I've heard the suggestion that cameras should be used in place of sideview mirrors, in order to reduce drag. There may be other uses that we haven't even conceived of.

If this legislation had been suggested 40 years ago it would have been totally unreasonable, but eventually, the funtionality might be a side effect of other advances, with no additional cost.

But actually I came into this thread because I hadn't seen anything posted by Bob Wilson in a while, and I did a search to figure out if he was still posting. Does anyone know if he was actually kicked off for starting this thread?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, he wasn't kicked off, he was ticked off!:D

1 person likes this.
  17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also want to clarify this rumor is false: Some claim Bob displayed one graph too many and got barred from the Promised Land - not so.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ ROFL!!! :lol::dance::lol::dance:

19. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sorry for the zombie thread/revival . . . . but . . . . . . Ever notice how utility workers put CONES out behind their vehicles? And sometime they put 'em in front of their vehicle too? That forces 'em to LOOK. Their dog would have still been alive ... just like the little boy in the accident story. It only takes mayby 7 or 8 seconds tops, to simply look. I've run over stuff ... deliberately. When you back up, if an item is too big to run over (and for example you "ONLY" think it's a newspaper) ... at SOME point you either brake (correct choice)... or you "guess" it'll be no big deal, and you keep on backing up. Slow down people . . . especially in reverse. Let the car simpy drift. You don't have to use the pedal . . . and GO FAST, in reverse. In fact you better darn well have your foot on the brake when you SLOWLY back up. You cant run over a 3 - 4 - 5 year old if you're moving at a turtle's pace. That said, "she-who-must-be-obeyed" ran into the prius maybe 4 years ago . . . . backing our RX-400h right into it. That means she didn't look. She assumed the driveway was clear. She assumed nothing would be in the rear view mirrors. she assumed nothing would be in view of the backup camera. All that, and she still managed to run into the prius. She doesn't like to be "scolded" ... and hear things like, "that could have been a 3 year old you ran into . . . ran over". Some people will not learn, until it's too late.