1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please take rest

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Marine Ray, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you Toyota. Repeated swaying, over a short time and distance, triggered the Lane Departure Alert resulting in these pics today from the MID and HUD.

Attached Files:

2. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah I see that occasionally in the morning when I'm going to work. Part of the drive is over a very curvy road with 2 lanes in each direction and the warning will get tripped as I use both lanes if there is no traffic near me.

I have the Prime in EV and am usually rolling along at about 45 MPH while everyone else is doing 30-35 MPH. Since I'm going to work and can charge for free there, I will push it up to 50 MPH just for the fun of it (in EV, of course - with the goal being to get to work completely in EV with about 1-3% left on the battery as I pull up to the charger!).

BTW, the Prime responds very well in EV with neutral steering around the curves.

Data Daedalus, benagi and Marine Ray like this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's odd. Mine says, "have you had driver's ed?"

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They should have programmed it to say, "You'd make a lousy bobsled pilot." :LOL::ROFLMAO: The only time I've ever seen it was in 50 mph crosswinds, and then just for the 1st few minutes till I adapted.

Data Daedalus, Marine Ray and Pdog808 like this.
  5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting: I can’t immediately recall seeing it in the HUD, but I have seen the message on the MID.

Usually it’s come up only after one or two beeps from the lane-departure warning, but after driving for an hour or so. In other words, it seems, for me at least, to be more related to driving for a long time than to lane departures.

Marine Ray likes this.
  6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've never seen the message. Now that I've posted that, I am sure to see it very soon.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it do the same on unimproved (gravel / rock / dirt) forest roads where we are typically weaving all over to attempt to find the least bumpy path through the extensive fields of potholes and washboards? Or does the absence of painted markings prevent any warnings?

8. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From what I can tell the visual sensors on the front of the car look for white lines on a dark back ground.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the flipside, there’s a road with a gradual curve and if I drive slowly enough (e.g. heavy volume), I can make minute changes to the steering wheel angle to follow the road. As a result, I got the “keep hands on steering wheel” warning.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    How much more do you have to sway and weave before it starts recommending the cheap scotch?

It’s looking for some really sharp contrast between the paint line and anything else. Ours barks every now and then in areas where new traffic rules have dictated new lines, but town budgets didn’t allow for complete removal of the old lines. I’ve never noticed it trigger on dirt or gravel. It does have a minimum speed below which it does not trigger at all.

#10 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    fuzzy1 likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The first time I saw this warning sign, I was driving on an interstate for ~3 hours non-stop, and nearing a rest stop. I thought it was cleaver ways Toyota implemented a navigation system somehow to suggest location sensitive resting information similar to the gas stations or restaurants according to continuous driving distance or time. Turns out that was not the case.

#11 Salamander_King, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    mr88cet likes this.
  12. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I see it if I'm doing "spirited" driving (yea I know... not a priuses forte). But that requires liberal use of the asphalt and little attention to lane markings.

The only other time ive seen it was when I cranked the sensitivity up just to see what it would do and it was quite annoying. Im fine with the default setting.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My old Subaru did it on the 2 hour mark, but it was strictly time-based. Kind of neat that they’ve made it sensitive to anything at all other than the clock.

Wasn’t it a 90s Toyota that wanted to know your birthdate when you first set it up, so it could wish you a happy birthday every year after?

14. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have LDA system on most of time. For our usual rural roads, it is useless. The only times I saw this "take a rest" warning come up on my car were when I was on an interstate after driving while, that's why I though it was sensing the time on the road and location. But according to the manual that is not the case. Yeah, it would be more useful though I could get annoyed, if the notice is tied to non-stop driving distance and time and location of nearby Starbucks, McDonald's, etc. I am sure they can get some advertising revenue from people actually stopping at those locations.

15. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First time I saw this was about a week after I got the car. My mom went to the hospital in a ambulance. This was about 3:30am and I had been up for over 24hrs. I followed the ambulance and was bouncing back and forth in the lane from drowsiness. about 1/2 way, the car told me to take rest with coffee. I thought that was cool that it knew i wasn't doing well.

Data Daedalus and Marine Ray like this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are making me feel old. That is a feature of my new Subaru, not my old one.
    Same for my new Subaru ...

I refuse to give such information to a car. Or to a car website. Or to ...