1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please tell me not to buy Civic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lcruiser, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Many electronic components in the prius are covered by the federal and CA state emissions warranty for up to 15 years/150000 miles. Have a look at the warranty. A liquid cooling system cools the electric drive motor and inverter, maybe more things, don't know about the civic's small high power motor. Electric motors often burn out from overheating.

The prius accelerates very well at freeway speeds, without flooring, just watch speedometer. The drive/ride is so smooth/quiet it is deceiving. I never expected an economy car to have this much pep.

Consumer Reports has said VSC is right behind seat belts in safety importance.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSantos @ Apr 3 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]416908[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting...

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 1 2007, 08:36 AM) [snapback]415914[/snapback]</div>
    I wanted my mom to get a hatchback. We looked at several more 'affordable' cars like the Yaris but I was turned off by the lack of a 5-door hatchback here (I guess it would cut into the Scion sales.) There's a 5-door Yaris on "Psych" so I know they exist.

However, when she drove the regular Civic she loved the seats (she hates the Prius seats), and when she drove the Civic Hybrid she loved the CVT.

Now, here's a moderately funny story. The AAA Car Buying Service uses some dealer in Charlotte who didn't have the blue car she wanted, so they had to trade for it. Across town in West Columbia, at a dealership we didn't visit after two other local dealers said "the sticker price is your price", they had a blue car up for trade. So it was driven 95 miles north to Charlotte, inspected and all (mom lives in NC but stays here a lot so it's registered in NC) then was driven back here. Around 38MPG "lifetime" per their trip display (independent MPG readings on each trip meter) and 44MPG or so over the 40 miles since it was delivered.

Oh, about the hatchback thing: if they hadn't decided to put the battery so high that the rear seats could fold down like the regular Civic, it'd be a pseudo-hatch with lower headroom. Just being a trunk isn't that much of a hassle for her, but I doubt the 42" LCD HDTV I brought home in my Prius would fit that trunk.

I don't like the Civic seats, but I just have to tolerate them on occasion...

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    That's funny. I couldn't fit a Samsung 43" plasma TV in its' box in the anti-Prius (see below) without laying it down (a no-no). I knew laying it down was ok so did it anyway (with no damage).

I haven't test driven the Hybrid Civic yet, but today I test drove the Nissan Altima Hybrid. Nice car. Fuel economy close to Camry hybrid.

Note that the Hybrid Civic has a 12V starter motor as well as the HV one. So it could be said to be more reliable than the Prius - you could start it and recharge the HV battery if it goes dead. If the HV battery in the Prius goes dead it has to be towed to the dealer. Although unlikely that battery will die, this is a plus for the Civic.

They continue to make my decision more difficult.

Be aware, the Prius in Canada is not competitively priced. The Altima is actually less expensive. In the US, the Prius and Civic are about the same cost. Here the Civic is a few thousand less.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Apr 5 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]418462[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, you found a demo Altima Hybrid? There's none here.

It's not competitively priced but it's still cheaper than the Altima Hybrid.

Altima:$32,998
    Camry: $32,000
    Prius: $31,280

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: QUOTE Tazman "Don't buy the Civic. There, I told you what you wanted to hear."

I second that: "DON'T BUY A CIVIC!"

7. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 5 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]418484[/snapback]</div>
    Why not?

It wouldn't be because a Civic choice doesn't support your Prius choice, would it?

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 5 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]418471[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, but that's for a base Prius. The Altima comes to Canada fully equipped (except for Nav.) so it's comparable to a Prius or Camry Package B. It's $35,360, and the comparable Camry Package B is $35,580. Ridiculous!!!

So that's:
    Altima Hybrid: $32,998
    Camry Hybrid pkg B $35,580
    Prius pkg B $35,360

I doubt they will bend, sitting in their ivory towers, but Toyota Canada need to start competing!
    Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the Prius. Better use of interior space, better mileage. But that's $2500 less for a "nicer ride", though it gets $500 less money back for fuel efficiency (federal govt rebate).

Let's do the math once again, in public. ;)

A US Prius (Chicago zip) in "Canadian Package B" trim (US package "D") is about $24,900 USD. It has a backup camera as well as all the normal Canadian package B stuff such as halogen headlamps.
    Lets use the old exchange rate - US to Can. dollar - call it $0.84 US to $1.00 Can. (it's currently $0.869). The banks charge a 2% differential on currency conversions to stop speculators. We'll add that as well.
    If I purchase a US package "D" Prius in the Chicago area it will cost $30,235.71 Can.
    Lets add $500 (very generous) to add DRL. Cost now $30,735.71.
    Import duty is the same from Japan to the US as it is from Japan to Canada (last I checked).

OK Toyota Canada, how come there's a $5,124.29 difference? Your investors need new boats?
    I've left off sales tax, delivery, PDI, and all the other garbage that applies to car purchases no matter where you buy it.

Keep in mind I'm not importing the car from the US here, I'm comparing the cost from Japan to the US and Japan to Canada.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Apr 6 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]418867[/snapback]</div>
    Oh alright but a Prius Package B. The Camry need not be a package B because it adds leather, moonroof, heated front seats, power passenger seat, dual illuminated vanity mirrors and rear reading lights. The Altima has the heated front seats and dual illuminated mirrors as standard so the base Camry is comparable.

For that $1,000 between the base price of the Camry and Altima, here are the features you get in one car that isn't available on the other

Altima: heated front seats, 2.5 litre engine, slightly more power, slightly less weight, rear door pockets, dual illuminated vanity mirrors and the fact that you can negogiate on the price of the car, better shaped trunk.

Camry: plasmacluster ionizer, bluetooth, Homelink, auto-dimming mirror w/compass, 3 adjustable rear headrests, rear vents, folding rear seats, LED brakelights, premium JBL audio.

10. lrh

lrh New Member

I also considered the HCH before buying the Prius. Ultimately, I ruled out the HCH because it was not available with traction or stability control. The National Highway Transportation Agency called stability control the most important safety technology since seatbelts and said it projects that it would reduce accident fatalities by as much as 30%. Given the fact that two of my children and my wife occasionally drive the Prius, it was a no-brainer.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 5 2007, 06:37 PM) [snapback]418507[/snapback]</div>
    Small flaw: HCH can't roll downhill while regenerating as well, requiring gas be used to get to my house. At the top of the sloping road, I can just let my Prius roll all the way to my driveway, dropping to maybe 11MPH near the end. HCH came to almost a complete stop halfway down, and of course when I touched the gas pedal the engine restarted.

Repeat that flaw hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds...) of times over the life of the car, and it just seems too lame for anyone willing to tolerate the Prius seats...