1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please tell me this isn't so...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vinnysca, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Oct 24 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]337642[/snapback]</div>
    That's kind of a surprise, but maybe the computer had all the numbers in it and is recognizing them? Did you try to deflate one of the newly-mounted tires to see if you'd ever get a warning?

2. theorist

theorist Member

In another thread, onerpm reports that when he changed to snow tires on their own wheels without TPMS sensors-transmiters, the TPMS idiot light never came on. http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=336877

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 24 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]337405[/snapback]</div>
    I'd count yourself lucky if you only pay $40 or a half hour of labor. Toyota of Nashua charged for three hours of labor to register just one sensor-transmiter. They didn't know what they were doing and decided to bill for the on-the-job training. The tireshop that broke a sensor-transmitter was paying, but I still let the dealership know that I wouldn't come back to them if that's how they do business.

I believe there is a class action lawsuit against Toyota and some other manufacturers for not making instructions on how to do simple repairs like this available to independent mechanics -- in violation of some right to repair law.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Oct 24 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]337642[/snapback]</div>
    i don't think they'd just let you do that without somehow registering the new sensors... even the 2-sets-of-sensors systems require you to register all the sensors first.

two questions.
    1. did the dealer activate the new sensors? they have to be activated by being put into the rim, having the tire inflated, then seeing a drop in pressure of 30 psi (you'd have to remove the valve core)
    2. have you tried testing this by deflating a tire at a gas station or somewhere you could fill it back up right away? the light should come on pretty much instantly. maybe a minute delay but probably not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Oct 24 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]337656[/snapback]</div>
    wow, that sucks. if you don't know, you learn. so you lose a little time. oh freakin' well. no reason to screw over a customer like that. most dealers will screw over a tech for a couple hours' time (flat rate vs actual time) rather than lose a customer.

and... we don't pay for labor because one of us is doing the labor in his free time. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Oct 24 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]337656[/snapback]</div>
    it's all in the repair manual... but they need the proprietary scantool. there's the problem.

edited because i posted responses in completely wacky order...

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Calibration screen?? I expect you just initiated a NAV system recalibrate. Nothing to do with the tire pressure sensors. Did you reset via the tire inflation reset button next to the SKS button under the steering wheel? A few minutes with the manual might be of help here - the section on the TPMS. It's a bit wordy but useful on resetting after tire pressure changes.

If you scroll up this thread a bit you will find a statement that if the sensors go away while the warning is off, it will stay off. That sounds like the condition you are in. Try letting out about 1/3 of the air from one of the tires mounted on the car - see if you get the warning light to come on.

Maybe you got lucky and got a set of identical sensors to your original ones??

- Tom

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 24 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]337575[/snapback]</div>
    How about just throwing the sensors into a cubby somewhere in the car...then calibrate the car using the button below the steering wheel...that way, the car will think that 'zero pressure' is okay and turn the light off...?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Oct 24 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]337715[/snapback]</div>
    ahhhh... didn't even think of that! (we don't have a nav system) but that does make perfect sense.

hmm... interesting. the system is set to kick the light on if it's not receiving signal from all sensors. if it loses signal, it gets a reading of the default value of -14 psi. i wonder if there's some kind of bug that allows you to set that as your tire pressure and allow the light to stay off?

DH now wants to tinker with a car with TPMS... if there's one available he's going to try some things.