1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

please use the search function...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 13 2007, 07:21 AM) [snapback]494658[/snapback]</div>
    No, Galaxee, thou art Goddess :)

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You know, looking at this thread, I just realized, there's really no FAQ per se here. Having an easy-to-find thread or link clearly labeled "FAQ" would eliminate 75% of the above-mentioned posts. Sure, there's always the person who will jump in saying "How come I'm not getting EPA figures?", but then we can politely point them to said FAQ.

So, who's up for making one?

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah i'd be all for some type of quick FAQ, one that hit all the major stuff people hit the site up for, with links to appropriate threads and such for further discussion if they needed it. if only i had time, i would do it myself.

maybe we should also look into a google search link on the site (Danny?) so that the search function is more effective.

4. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just read the BT Plate thread! Have resolved not to ask any questions ever again!

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peter@Beoworld @ Aug 13 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]494939[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the forum!
    Feel free to ask questions, but be prepared for snarky answers if there is already a thread that answers you :p
    Really, this has just been a challenging week, I think. Most people on here are nice, and a lot more helpful than they need to be!
    :D

6. mcevedy

mcevedy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree - made to feel most welcome! I actually moderate a website myself but it is very genteel and polite! I suppose a little staid. A little colour is quite refreshing! :D

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Aug 13 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]494881[/snapback]</div>
    Many thanks for the link. Maybe Danny can replace whatever is behind his search button with this link.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bohous @ Aug 13 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]494631[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree. My favorites were missed.

Will blocking the grill fry my engine?
    Can I get a tax deduction for my Prius?

Galaxee, I'm sorry you're having a tough time. When alcohol doesn't help it must be really bad. I think you helped brighten the day for many of us. You certainly brightened mine. :D

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 13 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]495016[/snapback]</div>

What's with the fuel tank? The pump keeps shutting off. I drove XXX miles on the first pip and the last three pips went on XXX miles.

Rock chips.....hood.

Can I drive in the HOV lanes now?

9. GT in PA

GT in PA New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 13 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]494530[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: :huh:
    Wow..... not quite sure how to answer after that "lecture" and I sure hate to have this as my first post, but here goes:
    I have been lurking here for about 3 months and have been so impressed with the knowledge and information that I have picked up here that it helped me decide that the Prius was the perfect fit for me. I was able to find the exact car I wanted and have been waiting for a little less than a month for my new Prius to arrive.
    Having said all of that, it would be more benificial for me as a newby to mayby help us newby's by maybe sending a friendly welcome and posting a "how to" use the search features as a canned "welcome" vice letting us know how you really feel. I belong to a fantastic bike site (www.vtxoa.com) and you can't hop on there without getting good directions and a friendly welcome on how to use the site.
    I spent quite a while today just trying to figure out how to fill out the registration like adding an avatar or how to look up valid questions I had and honestly I'm still scratching my head as to how to things on this site work. I'm not so sure I would be so willing to ask anyone right now either, to be honest with you.
    I read one of your "how to's" with pictures and was quite impressed.
    Please feel free to ignore my "newbyness" as I try to learn and hopefully contribute to this outstanding forum.
    GT

10. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 13 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]494530[/snapback]</div>
    ever call a help line and get put on hold or have to talk to a computer? sometimes you just want to talk to a person. think about that before you go criticizing

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efuscoisafagdotcom @ Aug 13 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]495120[/snapback]</div>
    THE TROLL IS BACK!!!!

[​IMG]

12. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IWinEfuscoLoses @ Aug 13 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]495127[/snapback]</div>
    IT JUST KEEPS GOING AND GOING AND GOING...

[​IMG]

13. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 13 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]495016[/snapback]</div>
    I learned that Google search link from one of the threads on here somewhere. Can't remember which one, guess I could do a "search" for it... :) Anyhow, I bookmarked it the first time I used it and have not used anything else ever since. It's saved me a lot of time.

I didn't know about the Search utility that Bill Merchant posted. It seems to work pretty well too, with some nice filtering capabilities. Now I have two Search utilities at my disposal. More power!!

I think the suggestion of embedding links to these search tools in the welcome email is an excellent idea, along with a few tips on how to narrow a search, which forum has what type of info, and so forth. It'd save a lot of redundant questions, I'm sure.

As for a FAQ, I propose we start a thread to gather all the typical questions, then fill in the answers (or provide links to them) as we go. Then we just need someone to volunteer to put the results into a PDF or Word Doc and stick it in the File section.

14. nitschke65

nitschke65 Not entirely normal

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Galaxee,

First I want to say thank you, sincerly, for all of the excellent work you've done helping people on this site.

Now, I must get up on my newbie soapbox...

I noticed that you began this thread 28 minutes after responding to a thread I started on the TPMS. You refered me to your excellent post on the TPMS, which I had already read. You did not adress either of the "new" points I brought up. Are they really new? I don't know. I do know that I'd searched, and read, and searched, and read... etc... etc... etc...

I truly hope I'm not one of the newbies getting on your nerves. But I felt like you'd seen that I mentioned TPMS, sent me your link, and thought that would take care of any question any idiot could ever have on the subject.

Please don't give up on us. But also, please realize that we might not just be asking the same question you've heard before. And, as someone said before me, if you're fed up, feel free to ignore us for a while.

15. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GT in PA @ Aug 13 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]495107[/snapback]</div>
    Many of us try to welcome new members, especially if we are replying to a newbie's inquiry; that said, welcome to PriusChat! I agree that a FAQ might be more useful even than the "stickies" we have or a general "welcome to PriusChat". Not that I can possibly volunteer... I'm by no means an expert. I'm not a hypermiler, in fact I tend to get the low end of the mileage spectrum, due largely to the fact that I have frequent short trips. Not that that's a bad thing... my old Volvo got WAY worse mileage doing the same short trips. My jpb requires that I travel between sites, and many are only a few miles apart. I have found that PriusChat is useful to me primarily at first by just lurking and reading TONS of info. I read for months before I even posted a " I'm new" message. I know I'm probably in a minority. I've read since long before I bought my Prius in Sept 2005.

Danny-- would it be helpful to use an imbedded google search in lieu of the search feature that all of us have found frustrating at times? In all your free time....

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah i knew i'd take flak for this one. and that's fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. i was sincerely not trying to be a jerk about this, as i noted in the OP. i'm just saying that the info is out there if you care to find it.

as a side note to those of you encouraging me/us to ignore you, i may not have a choice but to ignore the tech side of the forums in the near future. as it is the two of us have not really spent any kind of time in one place at the same time in over a week. things have been borderline insane for months, and destined to get worse before it gets better. enough about my life.

part of the issue, as addressed above, is that we need a bigger "official welcome wagon" or something. i haven't been a new member for ages, and software and hosts have changed since, so i don't even know what kind of email you guys get. but i think since the site has literally exploded, that some kind of site road map would be quite appropriate.

GreenJohnny, don't take this personal. it wasn't you. i was just browsing the forums and noted the number of repetitive topics and felt it was time to at least bring up the issue. for the record, there was a discussion in the link i sent you re: setting the warning level high. it wasn't discussed in depth, but i did mention setting high so the warning was higher, then dropping pressure for driving use in post 13.

newbies are of course welcome here. the nature of forums is that you have some long term members and some short term ones, but everyone starts out a noob at some point. i've seen far more pointed and snarky ways to address repetitive noob questions on other sites, but personally didn't want to put new folks off like that.

thank you and good night.

17. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 13 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]495209[/snapback]</div>
    Oh Prius goddess Galaxee... love your new avatar (should have taken pix of my sliced up hands after the EV mod, I suppose)... my response was not intended in any way to diminish your original post. I agree with you, but also agree that the PriusChat search feature leaves MUCH to be desired. No one can respond to all the newbies each time. I don't think it's inappropriate to guide them to a previous pst or the search function (or better yet, the google search function--DANNY?). Good night to you, too.
    Sonya

18. ohershey

ohershey New Member

How do you use the search engine?
    Why doesn't it work?
    Am I caught in "Question Everything"?

Just a little old-post archeology... ;)

19. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i decided a LONG time ago that if you are on a forum more than a few weeks/months... you WILL be reanswering questions or... ignoring them if they bother you.... and just let others answer!

search is just a dream.....