1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pleased with the paint (not color)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mehrenst, Mar 27, 2006.

?
  1. Very Happy, no chips yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Happy, a very few small (pin head size) noticable from less than 1'.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Acceptable, a few noticeable (ballpoint tip size) from 1' to 2'.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not Acceptable, one or more noticeable from 2' away.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pete bogumill

pete bogumill New Member

;) hi. i may add also i have a 2006 prius pkg#8 super white 6 months old today and had 3m clear bra put on when about 3 weeks old and backs of the mirrors also and seems no chips and paint on mine is just 100% perfect in every way. i've got just 6000 miles and when i got the prius i was very impressed with paint . everything on whole car was flawless. i was really suprised . i used to have cadillac eldorados and then to this car and i'm still impressed. so just figured i'd throw my two cents worth in also! B) pete

2. Trinity

Trinity New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Aug 9 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]300391[/snapback]</div>
    Brand new from the dealer, next to 0 miles on the odometer. Aside from loading and unloading from transit, I was probably the first person to ever drive it. It drives fine, I just assumed Japanese cars don't come with top-notch show-car quality paint jobs.

I would have never even noticed, had I not seen the Zaino website. They have photos of some truly insane finishes...there's gotta be some law against driving a mirror with wheels. :blink:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 9 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]300412[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm... I guess it doesn't show up as well on Tideland? Mine paint is rather shiny (waxed it in April, water still beads). The only orange peel I can see is on the lower rocker panels on both sides of the car and maybe the hatch.

4. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 9 2006, 10:35 PM) [snapback]300673[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, metallic colors and lighter colors don't show orange peel as much. Black is by far the worst.

My car is still quite shiny too. Orange peel is generally caused by either using too little reducer, or too low air pressure when painting. Since this is a factory paint job, I'm going to guess that it's the former (which jives with the eco-friendly / low VOC paint aspect of the Prius). It can also be caused by putting too much paint on the car, but that sure isn't the case here - that paint is thin!