1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plenty of Volt related information on my blog

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Voltdriver, Jul 25, 2012.

1. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in the reported sales, that is just US. Canada is normally released a few days later. Ampera not reported anywhere we can find.

2. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get that Pips are supply constrained right now, and Toyota could probably sell more if they wanted to make them and send them here. Why don't they do you suppose? Is it literally they can't build them any faster? Is it more economical to just sell them in Japan and not add shipping costs?

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They sell prii for more money in Japan, its not just the shipping costs, its also the government incentives and price people are willing to pay. Some of these japanese government incentives will run out soon, and they need to take advantage while they are here. Yen/dollar exchange, competition, and government incentives are much bigger than shipping costs.

The reason Toyota is doing a slow roll out is fairly obvious. They simply will not sell huge quantities, and a national roll out will cause miss allocation with cars just sitting on dealers lots. The puzzler is not including texas which is a big plug-in buying state. Adding most of the other states won't add that much to sales. If they want to sell large quantities they need to drop the price, but that may cannibalize liftback sales which will reduce profits.

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I have seen more Volts in the wild than Prius PHVs. Now. And I'm in the land of Prius it seems. Oregon has alot of them running around. No sarcasm. Glad to hear some can afford 40K cars and tax incentives. good on ya. sure seems like a smaller market than the 20k-30k cars...maybe i AM the only one who has been out-priced.

dbcassidy likes this.
  5. Voltdriver

Voltdriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That blogger is quite an outlier, both in terms of miles and ev percentage. Good post, its important to note epa is trying to do this for the average driver. YMMV. You need to calculate based on your usage.

It is also strange that they place a volt against a 23mpg car, for average. Isn't average for the volt's class in the high 20s? That is anouther assumption that should be challenged, use the real car you are considering the volt against, then give the volt some points for electric driving:)

7. Voltdriver

Voltdriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Comparisons are tricky. Comparing the Volt against a car so far above the national average, and the average consumer won't be able to see how much they'll save by switching to a fuel efficient car. I think the point of the label is to help show just how significant fuel savings can be against the run of the mill car.

I am definitely in the top 15% of Volt owners, but I am not in the top 5% in my EV%. But it would be important to note that the 119 MPG combined rating is really the national average, with huge savings potentials for a lot of people that buy smartly.

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree with both of those things.
    Where I think you are exceptional, in the top few percentages are the number of electric miles per year.