1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pls advise on these dealer extras

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by mi2k, Dec 4, 2011.

1. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We got a great deal on a v 5 (blue ribbon/dark gray) last week. We had never bought any dealer extras before, but this time we did. My wife wanted to keep the car looking good for a long time, and I felt lazy about figuring out what to do myself. I would like your opinion, good or bad, if you have tried any of these before or have good knowledge about them. If any of the following seems a particularly bad deal I will try to return them:

• $616 Rust protection + undercarriage treatment + acid rain sealant + leather & fabric protector (we have our appointment for all this next week)
    • $359 Five year key replacement
    • $725 5 yr/55000 miles prepaid maintenance

We were also offered 7yr/100,000 extended warranty for $1395, but I believe that someone on this forum offers this for less.

I know all this must have been discussed here before. I will try to find relevant posts and compile their links in this thread.

TIA

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Save your money. The stuff they are going to put on your car amounts to almost pure profit for the dealer. Leather needs occasional treatment to keep it looking nice, but you can buy it in the auto parts store in either liquid or single wipes, and do the whole car in about ten minutes. Polishing and waxing the car two or three times a year will suffice, whether you do it yourself or have a car wash crew detail the car.
    As for the key replacement, do you regularly lose your keys? If you do, losing one would probably not cost as much as the premium here, depending on what your dealer is going to charge you for the new one and programming. But a second lost key would make this worth it, if losing keys is a habit.
    The car comes with all maintenance for the first 25,000 miles or two years, whichever comes first, at 5000 mile intervals. (tires get rotated every 5K, synthetic oil changes at 10K intervals.) So they are charging you $120 for each of six services, starting at 30K miles through 55K miles. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, when a tire rotation shouldn't cost more than $20. Granted, synthetic oil is more expensive, but my local dealer charges about $60 for it as opposed to $30 for regular oil. Please do the math.
    With regard to the extended warranty, you can indeed save money buying through the guy listed on this site. I bought one on my '06 through the selling dealer for about $1100, and have not had any warranty issues of any kind in 55K miles. My six year, 110K Platinum Warranty from Toyota runs out in June of 2012. I most likely won't buy it on my next one, but it is a personal decision only you can make.
    The dealer will probably try to convince you that you need all this stuff, so be ready to stick to your guns and make them adjust the contract or refund the money.
    Good luck to you.

Forgot to mention that the Toyota warranty covers rust through for the first 5 years, with unlimited mileage. Ask the dealer just what it is that his "protection" does better.

1 person likes this.
  3. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's your money, but if you do your research you'll find most dealer add-ons are insanely overpriced and not always necessary.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mike James

Mike James Camaros and Prii go figure

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Considering mi2k is self admittedly lazy, this inspires me to someday start my own business. I think I will call it Lazy Day, Prepaid services for those who have more money than time. My customers will give me a bunch of money and I will give them piece of mind.
    I shall setup shop inside car dealerships. My salespeople will get to spend 20 minutes with each car buyer. These highly trained snake oil pushers will start by planting the seed of worry and inconvenience. They will then offer to take care of any worries for a “small” payment. Hot buttons shall be exploited with premium premiums.
    My business revenue breakdown.
    50% paid back to dealer for the 20 minutes of customer access.
    20% commission to my sales staff.
    20% capital to pay for customers’ contracted inconveniences.
    10% profit back to me.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just Say No!

1 person likes this.
  6. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No to every item, all are highly overpriced (the first three are worth maybe $50 total, and why on earth would you want to prepay for maintenance, pay as you go, remember the first few maintenance items are free (thru 25k miles).

1 person likes this.
  7. mvukovich11

mvukovich11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't get a very good deal on my new 2011 Prius 2. The Ashland dealership really shook me down.

8. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Done!

1 person likes this.
  9. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you were able to get refunded for all those things. Thats a load of crap.

Have you seen trhe rust prevention they do to carrs these days? The whole frames are dipped in tanks before its put together to get it inside every nook cranny hole and inside the frame. Under carriage protection....wow.

What a crock. Who prepays for service like that?

If I buy one of these it will never see the inside of a dealership unless tthere is a warranty maintenance issue.

1 person likes this.
  10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, there is the Toyota provided required maintenance performed at no charge for the first 25K miles/two years, whichever comes first. That would have to be done by a dealer. Otherwise, you would have to pay for it yourself.:(

11. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Valid point and I will go in for the free oil changes. (Cause thats about all they can/will do in 25K miles.)

With that said, I know on my gf Hyundai, she had free oil changes for the first 30K I think, and each time she went in they wanted to do some other service and charge her a couple hundred bucks.

I think they only "got" her once and that was at about 24K miles, they wanted to do some 290 dollars worth of service. She agreed to 220 of that before I heard about it.

After that it was repeat after me, " If its free, do it, otherwise No, NO, N O NO!"

Now this is a slightly different deal cause its not free oil changes its free service, so maybe they wouldn't be able to add anything. But, heck, after seeing those retarded fees written up at the top of this post, I'd put NOTHING past a sneaky dealer.

12. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes I did. I had bought them on their word that I could return any or all of them without any hassles. It turned out to be so!

13. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good to hear!!!!

You should find the episode of Modern Marvels on Rust and watch it.

Car makers today take the frames and bodies and such and they ride on conveyors down into soak tanks to rust "proof" em. I use proof loosely, as nothing is rust proof, and everything is decaying, just some things MUCH more slowly than others.
    Cars today do not and will not rust out like the old wagons you'll see from the 70s where the quarter panels are almost gone from road grime. Not the case at all.

It will rust eventually, but is that 30 years from now? 50? It'll probably be melted down and recycled long before you get noticeable rusting.

And, Acid rain protection? Acid rain is a funny word. The acid properties of rain are just to a PH of 5.

What could they possibly do to help more than the clearcoat thats already on the paint, (which by the way, modern clearcoats are very impressive).
    Whens the last time you saw a really faded out car from the late 90s onwards? I've only seen one in a blue moon where the car had body work done years prior and the repair shop didn't apply the same clearcoat as the manufacturer did.