1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pls help me modify my tyre size

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Engvvn, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Engvvn

Engvvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I have 2009 white 2nd generation Prius and where I live the roads are way too bumpy for my car. It hits my car's bottom at least twice a day here. So i was looking around trying to find a solution and luckily found priuschat com

my purpose is to increase my car body's elevation from ground with changing the tyre size (not rim)

My current tyre size is stock 185/65/15 and I'm considering 215/65/15 or 205/70/15 or 195/70/15

Please kindly leave your opinion regarding these sizes and your general solution here. ^.^

2. Engvvn

Engvvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my friend told me 195/75/15 would be tallest with best ground clearance. However i dont think this size even exist for 15'.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Although going to a larger size tyre will increase the ground clearance it will only increase it by half the size increase.
    A 1 inch larger tyre will give you 1/2 inch extra ground clearance. This comes with other problems as the tyres may rub on the cars bodywork, and your speedo and oddo will under read.
    Raising the suspension with spacers or fitting different springs would be a better solution to the problem. You do not state where you are located, country or area, so further help is difficult.

John (Britprius)

4. Engvvn

Engvvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks John, I live in eastern Mongolia. I'm total noob to cars so raising suspensions and changing springs are not in my knowledge. First i want to change the tyre size and see what happens. What do you think the tallest tyre that fits prius without noticeable rubbing? thanks

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is NOT a good idea.......for several reasons.
    First tires are expensive.
    Second, as mentioned, the bigger ones might rub and damage something.
    Third, a different tire size might make the handling bad and the tires might wear out more quickly because of bad alignment.
    And lastly, as was already mentioned, any tire size that will actually fit will NOT raise it enough to make any real difference.

You are new to cars but those people who are replying to your question here are NOT.
    Ignoring their good advice is not a wise thing to do.

The easiest solution to your problem might be just to slow down.
    Oh, and how important this problem is depends on what parts are hitting the pavement.
    If it is only the rubber part under the front bumper you probably should not even worry about it.

Engvvn likes this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As I said in my first post you could strike problems using tyre size to get ground clearance. I would think 205/70/15 is about as large as you could fit, but I cannot guarantee the tyre will clear the bodywork only trying them out will tell.
    Going from the stock size 185/65/15 to 205/70/16 will increase the ground clearance by the figures below.

185/65/15 = diameter of 24.47 inches (621 mm)
    205/70/15= diameter of 26.3 inches (668 mm)
    this will raise the car .915 inches (23.5 mm)

John (Britprius)

Engvvn likes this.
  7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I guess I shouldn't complain about DC potholes...

23mm of extra ground clearance ain't gonna help a prius much on unpaved roads. honestly, you need a small SUV if the roads are in terrible condition or are mostly unpaved. however, if you have a friend with a tire machine, you might test fit a used tire just to check clearances. also, rear shock replacement isn't too difficult, you might try rear coil overs or some type of aftermarket units which you might be able to get from japan. they have some cool stuff in japan for most cars.

Engvvn likes this.
  8. Engvvn

Engvvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks guys, with your help i just lost my interest to change stock tyres. I guess now i should be shopping for something else. What is the difference between springs, coil, suspension and shocks? which one should i start changing?

thanks Engvvn,

9. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm pretty sure the Prius uses struts, which are kind of similar to coil-over shocks. To add height, you'd want taller coils in the struts or taller strut assemblies. You have to be careful though. Without changing the geometry of the rest of the suspension, you can't change the strut ride-height very much without running into some problems. Reduced down-travel is one consequence. A suspension with insufficient down-travel is not a very good-performing system, especially on rough terrain. It also affects the wheel camber and tire contact patch negatively.

One of the most effective techniques of travel on unimproved surfaces is line-selection. It takes some practice, but you want to visually map the undercarriage of the vehicle, including the breakover (contours that approach the undercarriage between the front and rear wheels), approach (clearances and contours under the front overhang) and departure (under the rear overhang). As you drive, you want to visually map the contours of the road surface (low and high spots, ruts, camber (side-angle), syncline and anticline (valleys and hills) and how the vehicle will interact with them (points of suspension extension/compression, articulation, inertia, etc).

The main rules are to place the tires on the higher areas of the road surface, cross hills and gullies at an angle, not perpendicularly, and reduce speed on synclines that tend to compress the suspension as the vehicle traverses them. With practice, this line-selection gets to be automatic as you cover the terrain.

There are limits, of course. At a certain point, it makes sense to select a different vehicle, or do some extensive modification:

[​IMG]

Engvvn likes this.
  10. Engvvn

Engvvn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @tanglefoo
    thanks, btw what do you mean by coil? the strings?, strut means the bar between the strings?

thanks

11. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The coil is the spring itself. The strut is the assembly the spring is built into that also includes the integrated shock absorber.

Here's a strut assembly:

[​IMG]

Engvvn likes this.
  12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there are "coil over" kits available which allow you to change the springs to suit your needs and then adjust the ride height by turning the adjustment collar. justdidit has them on his car, and a few other folks have them as well. you can put on slightly taller tires which will correct the speedometer which reads high from the factory. using coil overs with slightly taller tires might get you 40mm of extra ground clearance; if that's not enough, you need to think about a different car.