1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug and Play Head Unit to Replace MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by gen2prius, Mar 22, 2022.

1. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Our Gen 2 MFD has gone bad for some years.

There's no third party repairers in this part of the world, a second hand unit is next to impossible to find, and it doesn't make sense to buy a brand new unit, probably no longer available anyway.

So on and off I have been looking for an aftermarket head unit, not cheap, due to extra components required to deal with the JBL amp/speakers.

Seeing that we are in 2022, wondering any recent technology has enabled play and plug replacement?

It's the navigation MFD, ideally the replacement can integrate with factory reverse camera, steering wheel controls, and with Apple Carplay.

2. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I think I was confused, MFD can't be replaced, the aftermarket unit will replace the stereo and storage.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much doe sit cost to ship from the US to Australia? You have to pay import taxes also?

6. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Probably around US$100 or so to ship, if it's a clean unit, fully tested, and comes from a reputable business, may still be worthwhile. Otherwise it's just not worth the hassle.

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Many reputable rebuilt sources for them in USA. Not eBay sellers.
    Since you seem to have few options you may want to pay $100 for shipping and be done with it. Search PriusChat for threads.
    Also repairing them is relatively straight forward and PC has info on that too.
    I’m surprised no one in Australia does the repairs as it is a common issue and easy to do.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  10. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thanks man, the eBay one is good, prefer local shops to cut down on time to send it back and forth. Will get in touch and let you guys know how it went.

11. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I thought the Pin 60 issue only affects earlier batch? 86110-47220 has "improved" soldering?

I have removed the MFD and attempted to take it apart, but aborted before getting to 60-pin connector due to lack of confidence.

12. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Turns out that eBay listing is only for touch screen repair. It's a lot dearer to repair a black out unit.

The black out repair includes a refurbished mainboard, and he also take your mainboard to refurbish for future repairs. It does come with 6 month warranty.

I'm under the impression that the guy who actually repairs the board charges a lot, this guy just swap out the parts.

13. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Reading more from autobeyours.com, although there's no specific solutions, it does mention 06 and later MFD has other issues, not just re-soldering the connector, but replacing capacitors.

No wonder Toyota's TSB was not updated to include newer units, such as: 86110-47220. The connector is not the issue.

14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Queensland’s repair service shop has a AU$44 mail in swap service, doesn’t it?
    Most people in USA get repaired MFDs.

15. gen2prius

gen2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    That Queensland one is not a swap service, they quoted "usually" $495 plus $44 to send it back, which suggests can be more. But more concerning is that the symptoms they described are more to do with faulty digitiser, they also mentioned they have repaired units that randomly turn off or freeze, but they are not the same as totally not working.

Preference is to drive to a local shop to show them the issue, that way they know what problem they are fixing. It's a much smaller market here, the shops are good at repeating well documented repairs, but not much good at solve problem they have not seen before, due to not worth the time to investigate or lack of samples to see a pattern.

Will continue looking, fall back is that guy from eBay, at least I can drive to his place to show him the problem and see what he says.

#15 gen2prius, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  16. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yep that’s a phone call might help with