1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug and Play HID

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Drift Motion, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, im just wondering, for people with the lower packages, ones that dont have HID from the factroy
    let say i go and buy those Plug and Play HID kit and use it in the Halogen Housing, would it cause alot of glare?
    im thinking probably it would
    i tried searching the forum, didnt find much except bunch of people wanting to do HID fog conversion

i know about the advantage of having HID, and thats why i want it, HID kit with 6000k

2. marjam

marjam Member

From what I have read on this forum it won't work for many reasons including the reflectors. Maybe someone else knows better. Try a search for HIDs.

3. o_intent

o_intent Junior Member

Would there be upward glare? yes.

I get highbeamed by oncoming traffic almost every night I go out. I've tried my best to readjust the beam pattern but you will only go so far without a clear cut-off line.

There's an adaptor/shield that you can buy on Ebay that wil supposedly eliminate the upward glare--I've bought some, waiting for them to arrive to try on--Though one word of advice, DO NOT buy plug & play kits, buy OEM HID kits off other cards, they're inherently more dependable and reliable than aftermarket generics.

The adapters to look for is called "H4 to D2S/D2R adapters"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drift Motion @ Aug 2 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]296585[/snapback]</div>

4. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm, interesting

probably i should just go to a junkyard or somethin like that, and pick one up from a crashed prius?

5. o_intent

o_intent Junior Member

What do you plan on picking up at the junkyard, an adapter off a crashed Prius, or an OEM HID kit? You should know that the internal compositions of the HID leadlamp are VERY different than the ones used on a conventional halogen. There is no ONE part to buy. To salvage one off another Prius you would need the entire headlamp intact with its own shields, and the solenoids to move the shields for low and high beam. Might I add that going that route would almost always be prohibitively expensive.

Just buy the adaptor off Ebay and save yourself a world of headaches.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drift Motion @ Aug 9 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]300448[/snapback]</div>

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how's the adapter different from lowering the headlights? Both lower the cutoff point right?

7. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i was thinking about taking the whole headlight assembly

8. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drift Motion @ Aug 11 2006, 03:55 AM) [snapback]301373[/snapback]</div>
    Self leveling HIDs with ballasts etc....sounds expensive, so I looked into it. Factory HIDs are over $600 a piece. There is no wiring for this and then there's a rear axle sensor and wiring you'll need as well. Sounds like it ain't happening.